IGNORED

Vectrex

CurryKitten

Hi all,

After years of wanting, I finally picked up a Vectrex from Ebay. It's exactly as I hoped, there's something about a vector screen you just can't seem to emulate on a normal PC... as well as the famous (I think) buss you get from one.

Question though, I just got the built in minestorm game (which did come with the overlay, although there were a few deep scratches on it). So which games are the "must haves".

From googling about I do notice the there's an interesting homebrew scene that's still making carts now, and I also read - althought it's not 100% clear that once MB stopped making the Vectrex they gave the rights back, and the original makers were happy for people to use the rom images of the games and such... is that the case ? As it would probably account for the multi-carts that seem to be on ebay every week.

Anyho... so what good, games please and reasons why

This is the ebay seller you need to keep an eye on, Sean Kelly, he's the man who actually makes the multicarts. I got mine last year for $70 plus shipping, a lot cheaper than resellers sell them for. Every once in a while he'll make another batch and flog them. Well worth getting unless you want the whole packaging as well in which case i'd say get Scramble.

multi cart all the way.

Kelly's ones are good but he sort of vanished from view a while ago and intermittently re-appears - try richard hutchinson on the vectrex newsgroup as he was making them a while ago and he's uk based.

The recent defender clone is bloody magnificent as are most of the original games and the new titles made over the last 10 years from Donzillas output onwards.

althought it's not 100% clear that once MB stopped making the Vectrex they gave the rights back, and the original makers were happy for people to use the rom images of the games and such... is that the case ?

Smith engineering who the rights reverted to and created the vectrex are happy for people to keep the machine alive so the multi carts are legal, it's the colecovision carts that are not as Telegames own most fo the rights to the old games on that system.

multi cart all the way.

Kelly's ones are good but he sort of vanished from view a while ago and intermittently re-appears - try richard hutchinson on the vectrex newsgroup as he was making them a while ago and he's uk based.

The recent defender clone is bloody magnificent as are most of the original games and the new titles made over the last 10 years from Donzillas output onwards.

Is that Richard Hutchinson who has the vectrex.biz site... I'd wrongly assumed he was US based because of the price of the vecflash in us$

I caught a .mov of that defender clone - completely blown away by it, amazing work

• 4 weeks later...

I got my VecFlash delivered yesterday, and amazingly professional looking cartridge. Have stuck lots of games on there was playing loads of things last night. The thing that really stands out though is the defender clone, "Protector". That is simply amazing. I played Thrust, and a few Thrust-like derivatives which were also very good.

You just can't beat a proper vector monitor can you ;)

Off to find some ink jet transparancy sheets now to attempt to knock up a few overlays

I got one of these lovely little buzzy things today, with a Vecflash cart, and it's absolutely glorious. I wasn't walking the Earth when they were doing the rounds so it's all new to me.

The voices in Spike are pure excellence.

There's actually something kind of nightmarish about Spike. Something to do with the chunky, simplistic vector graphics combined with the smoothness of the animations.