rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Boyatsea

The Dance Music Recommendations Thread

Just come back from Paul Van Dyk at Syndicate, mostly a mixture of mediocre tunes made worse by elbow-waving knobheads on the dancefloor, but what good moments there were shone brightly.

Plus the centre podium dancer had an absolutely cracking arse, mm.

Invol2ver is out there...

Is this the promo mix with voiceovers on it?

I hate voiceovers so will also be a good boy and wait if it is.

Is this the promo mix with voiceovers on it?

I hate voiceovers so will also be a good boy and wait if it is.

Yes... GU Promo Copy

Invol2ver is out there...

It's a good mix, but a bit too familiar for me, recognised some of the tracks from his more recent tech-house sets and the warmer vocal stuff in between is like what he was playing two years ago.

Sodasurfer, the promo voiceover plays only plays a few times, it's not intrusive.

Sodasurfer, the promo voiceover plays only plays a few times, it's not intrusive.

Who's this sodasurfer? :)

Good to hear it's not too obtrusive. Might grab it and give it a listen today then.

Lindstrom's new LP is sounding very nice, you can stream the whole thing here.

Bought this from iTunes at the weekend (DRM-free, folks) and it's lovely. Love the epicness of the title track

Bought this from iTunes at the weekend (DRM-free, folks) and it's lovely. Love the epicness of the title track

How you manage that?

How you manage that?

A lot of iTunes stuff is DRM free these days (iTunes plus), so that's probably how.

A lot of iTunes stuff is DRM free these days (iTunes plus), so that's probably how.

Ok, great :(

Just listened to the Lindstrom album. My mind's in orbit :(

The production and the sounds are fairly incredible. Epicness is indeed the word. Every little key change, or synth melody introduction is total fuck-you-up material. True enough, the opening song is epic, but the last song is just incredible. So much drama. In amongst the mad space disco insanity, LEON MOTHERFUCKING WARE style production sounds come through. It's like Marvin Gaye's 'I Want You' album being transmitted from Jupiter, through all that mad shit Dave Bowman goes through on his descent to the planet near the end of 2001: A Space Odyssey :(

The production and the sounds are fairly incredible. Epicness is indeed the word. Every little key change, or synth melody introduction is total fuck-you-up material. True enough, the opening song is epic, but the last song is just incredible. So much drama. In amongst the mad space disco insanity, LEON MOTHERFUCKING WARE style production sounds come through. It's like Marvin Gaye's 'I Want You' album being transmitted from Jupiter, through all that mad shit Dave Bowman goes through on his descent to the planet near the end of 2001: A Space Odyssey :(

I much prefer the style of this album to the out-and-out space disco of previous releases. It's more progressive. I keep hearing hints of Sasha/Charlie May Airdrawndagger type noodlings with a hint of Vangelis. Just wonderful stuff.

Just bought and listening now.

It's superb, isn't it :(

Sod the DVD, they should just get on with making a new record. I can already tell we're gonna have a Daft Punk-style four year wait for these buggers to knock anything out.

Judging by interviews I've read with the Justice guys, it seems they really aren't very musical at all. They just kinda fucked around and tinkered with stuff until their album was complete. Indeed, I can easily imagine them ending up as a complete flash in the pan. And I say that as a massive fan of their album. It's just the impression I get from their interviews:

"We are not hurried. We're not musicians by nature. We need to have good ideas and then write songs that can fit into ideas we have. We never do demos [or] pre-versions or whatever."

"we just noticed one day that we were not graphic designers anymore-- we were making music. When we think about this, we're just saying, "Wow-- it's weird," but it's cool. It's almost the same job. Just because, you know, when you do graphic design, you are not drawing. It doesn't require so much skill "and you don't have to know how to paint or how to draw. New technologies are here for that. As long as you have clear, simple ideas you can do whatever you want."

"what we do on Justice is a bit of music, but mainly it's just A&R. We are just A&Ring the project of Justice. It's almost like a boy band you know? It's all about making the right decisions at the right moment. I don't mean that we are making music in a cynical way-- we love music, and [our] music is made with a lot of sincerity-- but I guess music is more about making decisions than having skills. We are not great musicians. We are not great producers. We are not great songwriters. We are just nothing, but we have clear ideas of what we want to do, and even more what we don't want to do."

"We saw ourselves having a big graphic design office and making our stuff, and then everything changed so fast. We know you shouldn't picture what you're gonna do or what you're gonna be, even in two months. Like, now we know we're going to tour until November, but then we just absolutely don't know what we're going to do."

"I hope we're going to make new music, but maybe we're going to make paintings because we're going to like more to paint than to make music. I don't know. I think we're going to make music, but it's impossible to make sure [of] that."

:(

For folks eager to hear new Justice stuff, they were commissioned to provide the music for Dior Homme's 2009 preview show. The tunes really aren't that spectacular, and had me doubting whether or not Justice end up being one album wonders. I mean, the music is ALRIGHT in that it totally reminds me of 'Tony's Theme' from Moroder's Scarface soundtrack, which is certainly no bad thing:

Part 1 -

</a>

Part 2 -

</a>

Really nasty and ominous sounding. And all the models seem to walk like they've just been FUCKED in the ASS.

There are a few nice leather jackets kicking about the collection, though :(

Radio 1 recorded a rather nice Live DJ set by the in Ibiza at the start of the month, it's nothing like the rejected Fabric mix, it's a lot more heavy and 'clubbier' and it sounds as if their DJ skills have improved a fair bit.

They may not consider themselves as musicians but I reckon they under music well enough to produce another great album.

http://rapidshare.com/files/138312912/01_L..._Ibiza.mp3.html

That Ibiza set on Radio 1 really wasn't that great, and I understand they've only being DJing for 3 years or something. I don't know that they do have this understanding of music! Maybe the first album was a completely fluked flash in the pan?

Our album took one year to produce, and if we had taken two more months it wouldn't have [had] the same sound. If it had been released two months [earlier], it would have sound[ed] crap. We are at the beginning of knowledge about production and music-making-- it's changing every two months. Now we start to have some ideas of what we want to do and how it should sound, but I'm sure when we work on it for real, everything is going to change.

And it's also quite telling that they described the Justice project as "mainly just A&R." Their image and stuff is shit-hot, and they're being managed by a very savy guy in Pedro Winter, but I do worry that the next album (if there ever is one) will be massively disappointing. I have nothing much to base that on other than the stuff I've read them say in interviews, but those Dior tracks (while quite decent) just don't have the gut-grabbing phatness as the tunes on 'Cross.' They've also stopped doing remixes of other artists. They're apparently turning down every request that comes there way (other than for their "friends"). They suggest this is because remixing doesn't excite them anymore, but I worry that maybe they just don't have the ideas.

I hope they work it out, though, and come back with another phat album. It's just that I'm seeing a few warning signs...

Their first album will never be topped, though.

It's just like BANG, man, bang.

The Uffie tune is str8 garbage. What if they come back with more of that? :(

Well, judging by Cal's quote, their next LP will either be completely awful or completely amazing. Or somewhere in the middle.

It must be hard to follow up an album like Cross, which just destroyed everything when you listened to it. It's like Homework. Daft Punk had to do something completely different, and it worked.

Those YouTube pieces sound okay. Nothing special. But then, it is a shitty catwalk thing and the audio is coming from YouTube. Maybe on a FLAC through a pair of Grados it would blow your ears.

The Uffie tune is str8 garbage. What if they come back with more of that? :(

You're not talking about Tthhee Ppaarrttyy are you? Tell me you didn't go there.

That Ibiza set on Radio 1 really wasn't that great, and I understand they've only being DJing for 3 years or something. I don't know that they do have this understanding of music! Maybe the first album was a completely fluked flash in the pan?

It's not as relistenable as the Fabric mix, because it doesn't have that magical mystery music tour vibe going on in it. But I can imagine it being brilliant if you were there or just listening to it in a club in general. Whereas the Fabric mix can be enjoyed sitting infront of the computer at home.

I sort of get what you mean about The Cross being a fluke, everything they've said and done since hasn't exactly inspired confidence in their abilities, but maybe they're just trying to be as modest as possible. They have gotten ridiculously big off this one album, so maybe they want to calm the flames a little.

On the subject of ridiculously heavy/glitchy dance, does anyone else like Danger here? He's only officially released one EP so far but there's plenty of his stuff out there and it's all been pretty top notch, can't wait for his album.

You're not talking about Tthhee Ppaarrttyy are you? Tell me you didn't go there.

It's mince! I was at an actual party this one time, and some big-haired fucking douchebag chick bitch had her iPod hooked up to the system, supplying the tunes. I flicked through the waves of shite, found Justice, clicked to see what tunes she had, and she only had 'Tthhee Ppaarrttyy.' Like, a shitty album cut that anyone with ears is likely to despise. This suggests to me that she ripped the album off a mate, quickly scanned through all the nasty distorto-funk, and decided that this garbage song about being a bint was the one to keep. I mean, like... THAT'S the type of nugget who likes 'Tthhee Ppaarrttyy' :(

From a YouTube comment: "Its definitely justice. Kanye west posted it in his blog- he said they played it at his house prior to the show."

Justice round Kayne's house? What the. Wasn't he a total dick and a half to them, getting up on-stage at the MTV awards when he lost out to them? Stop mincing around that prick's house and produce some good stuff.

It's mince! I was at an actual party this one time, and some big-haired fucking douchebag chick bitch had her iPod hooked up to the system, supplying the tunes. I flicked through the waves of shite, found Justice, clicked to see what tunes she had, and she only had 'Tthhee Ppaarrttyy.' Like, a shitty album cut that anyone with ears is likely to despise. This suggests to me that she ripped the album off a mate, quickly scanned through all the nasty distorto-funk, and decided that this garbage song about being a bint was the one to keep. I mean, like... THAT'S the type of nugget who likes 'Tthhee Ppaarrttyy' :(

Oh man. You're so wrong. It's probably their most accessible track, along with D.A.N.C.E, but it's probably my favourite cut on the album.

Edit: okay, so it's not their best, but it's still great. Cheesy. Discovery cheesy. And those drums.

From a YouTtube comment: "Its definitely justice. Kanye west posted it in his blog- he said they played it at his house prior to the show."

Justice round Kayne's house? What the. Wasn't he a total dick and a half to them, getting up on-stage at the MTV awards when he lost out to them? Stop mincing around that prick's house and produce some good stuff.

Kanye's really down with Busy P and them now. It comes from sampling Daft Punk probably. See also Ed Banger Records graphics dude So-Me directing the video for Kanye's Good Life.

Oh man. You're so wrong. It's probably their most accessible track, along with D.A.N.C.E, but it's probably my favourite cut on the album.

:(

Maybe it's because I'm a hip-hopper, but that Uffie cow is ABHORRENT.