IGNORED

Deus Ex: Invisible War

davejm

I bought it a while back for a fiver, but it ran like a dog on my machine so didn't get anywhere with it. Is it worth playing through now that it's aged and will run well on my system? I loved Deus Ex, but I seem to remember a lot of folk being a bit disappointment by this.

Only problem I found is that the last level is far too easy if you have a specific ability combination. (and choose the specific ending)

The whole game was just far too easy full stop.

The first game was finely balanced in terms of the mods available to you. In the sequel you could basically fashion yourself into a killing machine relatively easily as there were a plethora of tasty mod canisters liberally scattered around.

It's not a terrible game by any means, just not a patch on the original.

I bought it a while back for a fiver, but it ran like a dog on my machine so didn't get anywhere with it. Is it worth playing through now that it's aged and will run well on my system? I loved Deus Ex, but I seem to remember a lot of folk being a bit disappointment by this.

It's AMAZING - just like all Eidos games.

Adding my own two cents to the growing sentiment on here; Like Halo 2, Invisible War is ordinary only when compared to its genre-defining forebear - and cited as average only by those with expectations elevated to unreachable degrees by their love of the first game.

Against almost anything else in it's genre you could care to mention, it's an outstandingly smart and well crafted game, and well worth a bash if you havent already played it.

Adding my own two cents to the growing sentiment on here; Like Halo 2, Invisible War is ordinary only when compared to its genre-defining forebear - and cited as average only by those with expectations elevated to unreachable degrees by their love of the first game.

Against almost anything else in it's genre you could care to mention, it's an outstandingly smart and well crafted game, and well worth a bash if you havent already played it.

Nah, it's shit.

It's probably worth playing but if you played and enjoyed the first one, you're only going to end up feeling disappointed. I know I did.

I concur, it all just felt like a pared down version of Deus Ex. The profusion of Mod cannisters and the way you could 'overwrite' any ability and therefore try them all in a single playthrough really irritated me, when you found a cannister in Deus Ex it was like 'ooooooh' then followed by a few minutes of 'hmm, what to choose, what to choose?' agonizing before settling on an ability you knew you'd be stuck with from then on in.

In Invisible War it was more like 'oh right, another one' *chooses, carries on playing knowing they'll try the other abilities later*.

It was quite slick, and I did enjoy parts of it, but if you really loved Deus Ex you may find decisions like the above, and universal bloody ammo, to be just too distracting to the sense of immersion. It always struck me as more 'arcadey', and that's not a direction the series should have gone in.

Frame rate is pretty dodgey too, it's like Geist if you've played that. I got the PC version initialy, but the frame rate was so juddery and slow that I took it back and swapped it for the Xbox version, assuming it was my PC. But the Xbox version had exactly the same thing. Got used to it after a while though.

What about Project Snowblind, is that any good?

Making a sequel to the best PC game in the world ever proved, in reality, that it couldn't be done.

Invisible War is a solid game though with a pretty interesting, yet too shallow and short, storyline to follow which gets quite exciting during parts of the game.

Certainly worth a playthrough or two but not essential.

It would have helped if the developer's bothered to hire some people to actually make some convincing animation on the characters.

As it stands, there's a really good graphic engine, full of detail and lovely physics and lighting effects. The you have characters who move and perform like sub-standard Thunderbirds puppets.

I don't know about you, but it was a real atmosphere killer...

All they really have to do is bring out the original again, with the Source engine, and I'd be happy to play through it all again.

It felt slightly compromised, what with it being an Xbox game. I, however, did enjoy it and there are some classy moments.

Only played it through the once, mind, because in true Deus Ex fashion, you can just reload a savegame from the last level and choose a suitable ending from there... Bit shameful on my part, really.

I think of a lot more painful things to play. Technical faults aside, good game.

Another "love it" for me too. It was released a little before its time IMO, no run of the mill PC could handle it back on release, but it's a great one to revisit now and whack all the settings up to full. Looks surprisingly gorgeous.

It's very streamlined next to the original, so you if play games to get bogged down in XP points and leveling up skills, this ain't the game, but it does continue the beautiful atmosphere and storyline of the first game pretty bloody well.

All the above goes for Theif III as well, which I believe uses the same engine and is similarly worth a second bash on an upgraded rig.

Making a sequel to the best PC game in the world ever proved, in reality, that it couldn't be done.

They didn't really try, though. It was doomed when it was revealed to be on the Xbox - and thus would have tiny corridor-filled levels, joypad-friendly gameplay, and any kind of subtlety bashed out of it so it would 'appeal'.

I enjoyed it a lot, but it certainly didn't feel like Deus Ex ought to.