RARE ? Was it a waste of money for Microsoft?

cantonarv

Rare had their day long ago on the N64 with many corkers. The stuff I've seen on the Xbox and Xbox 360 haven't been that mindblowing, really. I think people are blinded by the history of Rare with Ultimate, etc. and they eat it with a spoon. Yum!

Rare these days are the backbone of Free Radical. The Microsoft-bought Rare is a false prophet.

I think the only way anyone could argue otherwise is by saying that their purchase may have encouraged a lot of people to get an XBox. However, times change and I doubt anyone who bought a 360 had the thought of Rare games top of the list like they might have 5 years ago. They've churned out not very much in 4 years and of shit quality as well. They're never going to be the same company that brought us Goldeneye and I think deep down everyone knows that

Rare made some good games, Mr. Pants is probably the best of them, but they have lost the 'OMGWTFBBQ' factor of them in the N64 era. But hey, even Grabbed by the Ghoulies wasn't really bad. Not great either though, but still funny.

kameo is really good though, really good. it just starts badly, and the voice acting is typically abominable.

look at the supposedly good RARE folk that left. they made timesplitters and forgot to add a single player campaign 3 times.

Really, MS paid far too much. That's not to say Rare are a bad developer, but a third of a billion dollars? Were they high at the time?

Indeed. Nintendo and the Stampers must have thought it was their birthday. You had a developer descending into absolute crisis, and everyone with a stake in the company looking to sell up before it all went tits up. It was obvious to anyone with half a brain that if Nintendo are selling what appears to be one of their biggest assets so easily, something must be seriously wrong somewhere.

Microsoft were clearly blinded by the opportunity to make it look like they fucked Nintendo over in the eyes of the public and they paid an almighty price for it.