IGNORED

The FPS controls debate thread

Meers

I can't believe you expected to have sorted it at all by playing a half hour demo. When people said relearning controls wasn't that bad, they still meant a bit worse than that!

And 45 minutes of Vegas! I didn't get a kill in, but that soon changed when I changed back to The 'Paw.

Oh how it changed! Mwhahahahaha!

:rolleyes:

So tell me why Vegas has 4 stick setups to choose from from launch, and GRAW only one (at launch, later patched with flipped triggers - wtf). Both games have the same publisher (Ubisoft) but 2 different development houses (Montreal and Paris respectively).

You answered your own question; it's down to the developers laziness. Shit, I know, but that's the only reason.

Aye, so I did...so I did.

Anyways, I need one of these to open the bloody controller so I can swap the sticks around:

t8h-tool-350.jpg

Let me know how you get on modding your controller as I'm tempted to do the same but I have 0% skills in soldering etc. Have you downloaded a guide or something. The only one I know of is this one:

http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/mods/Xbox-36...troller-Mod.htm

I think a video guide would be better for me as I get lost about half way through the guide. :(

Someone needs to release a Southpaw dongle for all of the controllers. They could easily be made and sold for, say, 5GBP.

I'd also make a pretty big argument for Microsoft making configurable controls a *REQUIREMENT* for all games released on their platform.

There, problem sold.

• 2 weeks later...

I see it as a blessing that the FPS that I really want to play are the ones that usually offer alt controls. It saves me money and I will not suffer from FPS overload. I just play the best of the best. Halo 3, CO4 and Orange box are the main FPS's for me and I'm content with that for the next couple of years. I really want to play Stranglehold though which I doubt will offer alt controls but I'll get away with playing that with the Tequila mode and it being in third person may trick my brain into not spazzing out with the controls.

Despite the above, earlier this week I sent an email to Major Nelson highlighting alt controls not being available in some FPS games and can something be added in the next dashboard update to overide such games (especially since there is a dashboard option to make Southpaw your preferred choice). Suprisingly I got an email back the next day but all it said that he was going to pass my requests onto the developers. I'm not holding my breath but I'm not sure if he means he is going to pass this onto the developers of the next dashboard update or the developers of upcoming shooters.

Technically it should be possible to have this dashboard setting overide a games that have not had southpaw programmed into the game right ?

This may have been covered in this thread already but I heard that the PS2 has a third party controller that allowed you to re-programme the sticks and buttons the way you want to. I'm hoping that whatever company released this are still in business.

I see it as a blessing that the FPS that I really want to play are the ones that usually offer alt controls. It saves me money and I will not suffer from FPS overload. I just play the best of the best. Halo 3, CO4 and Orange box are the main FPS's for me and I'm content with that for the next couple of years. I really want to play Stranglehold though which I doubt will offer alt controls but I'll get away with playing that with the Tequila mode and it being in third person may trick my brain into not spazzing out with the controls.

Despite the above, earlier this week I sent an email to Major Nelson highlighting alt controls not being available in some FPS games and can something be added in the next dashboard update to overide such games (especially since there is a dashboard option to make Southpaw your preferred choice). Suprisingly I got an email back the next day but all it said that he was going to pass my requests onto the developers. I'm not holding my breath but I'm not sure if he means he is going to pass this onto the developers of the next dashboard update or the developers of upcoming shooters.

Technically it should be possible to have this dashboard setting overide a games that have not had southpaw programmed into the game right ?

This may have been covered in this thread already but I heard that the PS2 has a third party controller that allowed you to re-programme the sticks and buttons the way you want to. I'm hoping that whatever company released this are still in business.

I'm no programmer, but I can't imagine that the dash could force control methods that weren't already programmed in-game.

I'm no programmer, but I can't imagine that the dash could force control methods that weren't already programmed in-game.

From a programming point of view, you just get a big data structure back from the system software with values telling you what buttons have been pressed/how much the analog sticks have moved/whatever. The dash could quite easily swap around the values so that inputs would appear to be coming from a different source, and it would be invisible to the actual game

The system has no concept of when the game is actually being played though, so the above would apply everywhere in the game (ie. in the frontend as well as during gameplay), which is probably why it wont ever be implemented. MS/Sony are big on their button consitency in games (A is select, Left analog is menu movement, etc.), and hacking around the stick settings would be detrimental to that.

From a programming point of view, you just get a big data structure back from the system software with values telling you what buttons have been pressed/how much the analog sticks have moved/whatever. The dash could quite easily swap around the values so that inputs would appear to be coming from a different source, and it would be invisible to the actual game

The system has no concept of when the game is actually being played though, so the above would apply everywhere in the game (ie. in the frontend as well as during gameplay), which is probably why it wont ever be implemented. MS/Sony are big on their button consitency in games (A is select, Left analog is menu movement, etc.), and hacking around the stick settings would be detrimental to that.

...and would be the same if I were to physically swap the sticks around inside the controller, wouldn't it?

That's a bit like a cripple man saying he's one lucky bastard because his shoes last pretty much forever.

Er.....no not really. Pretty much every FPS I want to play has catered to my freaky needs so far and I don't feel the need to play them all even though I'm an FPS fanboy. There are a shocking amount of games besides FPS's that are considered classix in these parts that I have not played and probably never will but I don't feel I've missed out. I'd rather rinse out a few games that I really want to play rather than buy games that I'd probably not even open or play for a few day and never finish. I don't want to end up like the people here where games playing has been turned into a job/chore (been there done that already).

Any way I LOLed at your analogy above.

EDIT: I'd be weeping man tears if Halo 3 did not have Southpaw. I could potentially be in for a big let down if Orange box does not offer alt control schemes.

I still need the correct Torx bit! I had a few, but they were too big. Damn it! :P

I cracked open my joypad last week with a phillips screwdriver as there screws were nothing special but I got stuck on trying to unsolder the left trigger.

EDIT: I'd be weeping man tears if Halo 3 did not have Southpaw. I could potentially be in for a big let down if Orange box does not offer alt control schemes.

Bungie lets you customise the controls in Halo 3 FULLY. Yes, that's right; you can map every individual button.

I believe that wired pads use standard screws, whereas wireless ones use torx T8H.

QFT.

Are you using this tutorial?

Stick swap

Although it's only for a wired controller.

I bought a wireless one from the same guy that has switches for the sticks, so it can be southpaw, original, legacy southpaw or legacy.

It's excellent.

I managed to play a bit of Bioshock and Stranglehold.

I've also added some extra buttons ( A+B ) to the underside of a wired controller using this tutorial:

Extra buttons

I can now press the A or B buttons whilst running without attempting 'the claw'.

May try both mods on my other wired controller together.

Imagine this, rllmukforum:

You take a copy of Gears of War. Now we add some Southpaw in the mix. Then we try to take cover using the A button...whilst running*!

Crab paws ahoy!

Gears of War may have the Southpaw option, but the cover move is very hard to perform. Vegas does it so much better!

* movement is on the right stick, remember?

Thanks for that! :lol:

Where can I buy that wireless one then? May as well do that instead of fucking about myself.

Sorry, I missed your reply earlier.

I got my wireless controller from Ron at rondcrasher@yahoo.com.

He's in the US but the new modded wireless controller from him was only about £45.

It is excellent.

Here is a picture of it:

wirelessyf1.jpg

The extra buttons mod that I did is here:

wiredda8.jpg

It's not too hard, if you have the right tools.