IGNORED

The FPS controls debate thread

Meers

Awh damn, you've already started!

Well, that way the formatting's all in place and it's easy to add to it. If anyone else wants to contribute, feel free - if you're not comfortable editing the table itself just leave the details on the "discussion" page (tab on the top of the page) and I'll put it into the table as and when.

What I find a shame is the fact that the 360 was meant to allow us to setup our control preferences from the dash and every game use them but it appears not.

That's just plain naughty. If I were Microsoft, I'd be tempted not to certify any game that doesn't even bother to adhere to the basic features of the console.

I must be some kind of freak who can use the default controls on any game. I occasionally change the invert settings if I can, but if not, I can learn to adjust. Even Katamari's needlessly retarded twin-stick controls didn't take long to get used to. It's not like I need to relearn them, either; I can happily switch between Goldeneye and Halo's default systems without a second thought.

Needlessly retarded? ;)

That's just plain naughty. If I were Microsoft, I'd be tempted not to certify any game that doesn't even bother to adhere to the basic features of the console.

I'd better direct my complaints to Microsoft then.

I hope that Lost Planet on the 360 comes with a southpaw option, the demo didn't.

Great game, somewhat spoiled for me be forcing aiming onto the right-hand stick. As my right hand is less accurate ( blah, accident, blah, blah) I was constantly having to stand still to aim using my left thumb.

Not easy when being shot at............

• 4 weeks later...

This lack of Southpaw thing really fucks me off. Thing is, with every game that doesn't support it, it makes me thing whether i should start training my brain [to do things differently] now.

For every game that doesn't support it, there are others that do. I just play those instead.

Yeah, but game shop demo's do it now aswell. I don't even know why!

Try to play CoD2 in Gamestation. No chance. Try to play GRAW in Game. Yeah right! So i try and give it a go, and i've got 13 year olds laughing behind me because i keep firing grenades at myself. ;)

EDIT: The game shop demo of CoD2 had no alternative controller option.

Try to play CoD2 in Gamestation. No chance. Try to play GRAW in Game. Yeah right! So i try and give it a go, and i've got 13 year olds laughing behind me because i keep firing grenades at myself. ;)

I know. Are we just getting too old (30 here) to learn our brains to switch sides? I'm sure I didn't have this problem before my 20th year (in a time where every game had some sort of control scheme choice).

But why do they do it?

Jesus, evern writing this post about the subject gets me mad. I was really bored this weekend.(really bored), so i was rooting through my old demos and found a Killzone dmo. Thought i would have a go. BUT NO. There was no Southpaw mode. There was however a Left-Handed Mode (I am left-handed). But there was no difference.

What's the point?

And why can't developers ensure they cater for everyone? I mean, the create gay faceplates, and themes to suit peoples tastes, but can't cater for another control system. ARRGGGGHHHHHH!