Battlefield: Bad Company 2

merge

I played a bit of campaign instead which wasn't as bad as I was expecting.

I actually quite like the single player campaign. It's like Rambo: The Game in a way - brainless, over the top action.

I tried playing as a medic in the vanilla BC2 last night, after a couple of games I found my feet and started getting some decent kills. Once I started sticking with the rest of my squad it all came together. I can see me spending a lot of time with this game!

I've been playing as Assault class, (perhaps wrongly) thinking that would be the best "all-rounder" for a beginner. I'll give Medic a try tonight. Looking at the video posted on the last page, the fact you get points from reviving folk will probably help when I can't shoot straight!

Ye the assault is an all round in a purely offensive sense. You're gun is decent at all ranges, a grenade launcher for knackering buildings or C4 for tanks/booby traps/crate bashing. But your support gadget is pretty useless as most people don't run out of ammo before dying and fewer still actually bother to sit still to get some ammo from a crate.

I've just had a quick peek at my own stats and worked out a points to kill ratio for each class to see which classes are most dependent on scoring kills. I got the following:

Assault 82:1

Engineer 107:1 (probably warped a little by the fact most people bail just before a vehicle is destroyed)

Medic 102:1

Recon 102:1

Basically the assault class exists to get kills, you don't get as many points from other activities. The beauty of Battlefield is that you don't need to be a shit hot twitch marksman to be a good player, so if you're not getting a load of kills yet you'd be best sticking with the other three classes, especially because Assault is by far the most popular class in the game there is plenty of slack needing to be picked up by medics and engineers.

Pro tip on recon: sniping is quite hard to do well enough to get a lot of points. Instead take advantage of the most overpowered piece of equipment in the game - the motion mines. Lob these constantly. You get 3 and they are invaluable on attack or defence and will get you a crazy amount of points if you use them in the right situation because every kill scored that you're mines 'spotted' will get you 20-30 points. If you drop one on a hotly contested rush point not only will you give your team a huge advantage you will stand to gain 500+ points from doing nothing. Or if you want to provoke mass rage in your enemy, when you arm an mcom drop a couple of sticks of C4 while you're doing it. Drop a motion mine and go and hide nearby, you can watch the little orange arrows swarm around the point, wait for them to start disarming, count a couple seconds then kaboom! More easy kills and you destroy the MCOM AND get objective damage bonuses depending on how much C4 you used, another 500+ points.

Obviously this is tricky lugging a sniper rifle around so I'd suggest using one of the 'all kit' weapons unlocked by playing medic or whatever. Shotguns or one of the battle rifles are fine and you can use them till you unlock the semi-auto rifles or the amazing VSS.

I've been playing as Assault class, (perhaps wrongly) thinking that would be the best "all-rounder" for a beginner. I'll give Medic a try tonight. Looking at the video posted on the last page, the fact you get points from reviving folk will probably help when I can't shoot straight!

I found that Assault was actually the last class that I found my comfort zone with, but conversely is now the class I will turn to most often. Medic is definitely the best for getting the feel of the game IMO, and not only that but having medics around can make the difference between an attack or defence falling on its arse or succeeding.

As in the 'how not to be a noob' video, Recon really is best played as recon, rather than just a sniper. You'll be a much bigger benefit to your team and will rack up plenty of points from assists as well as nabbing some kills. That said there are times when long range support is very helpful, but its very map dependant and probably more of a help in Conquest than in Rush.

As much as i love this currently there's just one thing i still can get my head around: lag on console gaming.

How can anyone put up with this bullshit? It's utterly mental at points! I'd gladly wait 10 minutes for a sub 50ping game. I'm on a 30 meg fibre line and yet i've got to suffer emptying a clip into a guys back at 10 yards to see him spin around shoot me then for us both to double KO each other.

Sounds like you're connecting to faraway servers like Australia or Japan (assuming you're in the UK).

What time do you usually play? Which modes? Alone or in a squad?

Anyone know of any glitches or hacks doing the rounds with the 870 combat shotgun? Last night on Hill 137 i was killed by a guy at least 3 times from absolute miles away with it. Like literally he was just a speck in the distance, but he oneshotted me with a damn shotgun at that range?? :wacko:

iirc, A headshot from a shotgun with 12 Gauge slugs will kill you at any range, but they have to line up that silly white + cross-hair though.

Yup the shottie is a beast at range with the long-range slugs with all the killing power of the scoped rifles, having said that it's nigh on impossible to one-shot someone from a distance unless they are standing still ;)

Took down a fully laden attack chopper on Atacama Desert yesterday with an unguided CG rocket for the first time. Many fist pumps were done.

He was a pretty good pilot as well, he'd already raped us till some general fire from the AA gun etc took him down. I noticed he came low and hovered for a few seconds at the 2 corners of the area we were defending while blowing the shit out of everything. When I saw him coming over again for a second rape-fest I got up into a nearby building from one of his hover spots, waited, popped out the window and blew him all to shit.

Felt like the end of Rambo III. I was super-hyped. :)

I need to add that gamertag again actually. Most nights I go on, which is a lot recently, there's often a Muker from my friends list playing. I just join their game. I've got some other pals of a UK based Xbox forum who seem to play this religiously. I tend to not join their games now as I feel like I drag their leet level 50 asses down with my often cack-handed shooting.

Of late I've found some great games where being with randoms has been a help more than a hinderance, playing in some well balanced squads with just the one sniper at most. Still quit out of a fair few games where there are too many recons and no one cares about the objectives (I play rush).

The Vietnam DLC really was just a fleeting fad for me, the vanilla BC2 is where it's at but I did come into this game quite late. Been full lobbies the last few evenings.

EA has plenty of bugs that need sorting. Some of mine:

Trying to join a friend in game, to be told that no games are available.

Joining a game, only to have all your weapons (except the default) missing.

Being kicked out of the game with connection lost.

Massive stuttering in-game every few minutes, despite it running silky smooth the rest of the time.

Punkbuster not updating correctly, and having to figure that out yourself.

Ping in game leaping to double or triple what it was in the menu.

Can't think of anything else right now, but those lot are a riot.

Has anyone else noticed the games are a lot fuller recently? We tried to get 2 squads in a game the other night (one 3 man, one 2 man) but when we could never get the 5th person in because they were rammed. I've not seen a game proper full in ages. Tetchy thinks they've shut some of the servers down, probably to get ready for the BF3 beta but I don't know. Any one know anything about it?

My kingdom for a squad :(

You were in my squad last night but left shortly after I sent you a party invite. :hmm:

Has anyone else noticed the games are a lot fuller recently? We tried to get 2 squads in a game the other night (one 3 man, one 2 man) but when we could never get the 5th person in because they were rammed. I've not seen a game proper full in ages.

We had a 12 v 12 match on Nelson Bay yesterday, which is unheard of.