Battlefield: Bad Company 2

merge

Played Vietnam for the first time the other night and was presently surprised to see a compass in the HUD (having never read any PR on it prior to release). Is there any chat to DICE doing an update of a compass to BFBC2?

I've not heard anything on it, but surely it's about time they fixed one of the biggest omissions in BFBC2.

Did they ever give a reason for not including one? Or is it just that nobody noticed, and they just carried on and pretended like it wasn't massively important?

It's pretty well established that console gamers are a bit dumb. You can kind of see why though - PC gamers don't have the potential of having to time-share the TV, they're locked in a separate room not disturbing anyone and there's a certain obsessiveness required to bother to upgrade a PC to gaming spec rather than just having a console because you fancied playing some games and the guy in the shop said this one was good. Battlefield players on PC probably upgraded their machines specifically for the game (I know I used to).

All of these descriptions apply equally well to the PC crowd, from all my play online. One good squad can still often tear through an entire Rush map, as 12 snipers up on the hill watch them plant at each MCOM and a few guys forlornly try to defend properly.

But it's all worth it for those occasional finely balanced, intense games that last forever because there are tons of medics doing their job properly until eventually the attack just wins through with a few lives left.

It would make communication a lot easier.

THERE'S A GUY!

WHERE?

BEHIND THE BUILDING TO THE NORTH!

WHICH IS NORTH?

Yep. Compass = Essential.

All of these descriptions apply equally well to the PC crowd, from all my play online. One good squad can still often tear through an entire Rush map, as 12 snipers up on the hill watch them plant at each MCOM and a few guys forlornly try to defend properly.

But it's all worth it for those occasional finely balanced, intense games that last forever because there are tons of medics doing their job properly until eventually the attack just wins through with a few lives left.

True.

I don't often play on Sunday afternoons, but I noticed today that Sunday afternoon crowd are way better than 5.30pm weekday crowd. Had some cracking games today :)

Any tips for a complete noob?! I'm struggling with Vietnam tbh... I know it takes practise but I'm having a lot of trouble spotting enemies and seeing who's shooting me, let along shooting them back!

I've never been that much of an online player, with the exception of BF1943 when it first came out. I found that a bit more friendly than Vietnam, I had no problem spotting enemies it was just my aiming that sucked!

Will I find vanilla Bad Company 2 more "approachable"?

I'd start playing the squad deathmatch option just to get the hang of the shooting aspects of the game and spotting (pressing the back button to highlight an enemy to your teammates). Squad Deathmatch is 4 teams of four on a much smaller map with one vehicle on the map (a Bradley on the vanilla games). Just use this to find a class you like and then start to get into the bigger games.

Any tips for a complete noob?! I'm struggling with Vietnam tbh... I know it takes practise but I'm having a lot of trouble spotting enemies and seeing who's shooting me, let along shooting them back!

I've never been that much of an online player, with the exception of BF1943 when it first came out. I found that a bit more friendly than Vietnam, I had no problem spotting enemies it was just my aiming that sucked!

You're not the only one with trouble spotting enemies in Vientnam. I had a hell of a job when I first started playing it. It's just a case of sinking hours into it and letting your eyes adjust.

On Tuesday the 25th of January we are going to do a bit of maintenance work on the Xbox 360, Playstation 3 and the PC during these hours:

2:00 am PDT - 5:00 am PDT

5:00 am EST - 8:00 am EST

10:00 GMT - 13:00 GMT

11:00 CET - 14:00 CET

The purpose is to improve performance of the stats system, to reduce/eliminate stats outages. We're very sorry for the inconvenience.

Will be on this later if anyone fancies a few games. Those matches last night were fun with some mukkers. I was generally rubbish, I'm a bit new to Conquest mode. Hit some searing shots with my Carl Gustav.

Those cheeky cunts on the wind turbines. :lol:

That is a tricky one. On one hand Vietnam has fewer unlockables so you won't be feeling outclassed by someone with a superior weapon or gadget as much as you might in vanilla BC2.

That said none of the gadgets are really as good as they first appear, and vanilla is in my experience a slower game. The maps are larger, with better visibility and more solid cover. You won't get that ambushed feeling quite as often in vanilla I would say.

You could just mix it up really, which class are you tending to play as? I'd certainly recommend any new player to stick to the medic class to begin with. The LMGs are really versatile and have a nice big clip so you don't need to worry about reloading, you don't have to think about vehicles because you can't damage them and it is the easiest class to rack up squad points with and generally feel useful even if you aren't getting a load of kills.

That is a tricky one. On one hand Vietnam has fewer unlockables so you won't be feeling outclassed by someone with a superior weapon or gadget as much as you might in vanilla BC2.

That said none of the gadgets are really as good as they first appear, and vanilla is in my experience a slower game. The maps are larger, with better visibility and more solid cover. You won't get that ambushed feeling quite as often in vanilla I would say.

You could just mix it up really, which class are you tending to play as? I'd certainly recommend any new player to stick to the medic class to begin with. The LMGs are really versatile and have a nice big clip so you don't need to worry about reloading, you don't have to think about vehicles because you can't damage them and it is the easiest class to rack up squad points with and generally feel useful even if you aren't getting a load of kills.

I've been playing as Assault class, (perhaps wrongly) thinking that would be the best "all-rounder" for a beginner. I'll give Medic a try tonight. Looking at the video posted on the last page, the fact you get points from reviving folk will probably help when I can't shoot straight!