Battlefield: Bad Company 2

merge

I'm currently hitting B with my right thumb, then attempting to aim by moving my left thumb over. Must try the index finger on B, other finger on trigger trick.

Still wouldn't resolve the issue where you go to arm the mcom and wind up picking up an empty SMG and the ever handy tracer dart sidearm.

fffuuu.jpg

(I know about holding b before reaching the mcom but it still happens, seriously why couldn't d-pad up be the arm m-com button?)

Oh and on the subject of spotting, I'm pretty sure it used to make a faint beeping noise when it was on its cooldown, but I think it might have been removed, I can't remember. You could barely hear it when it did exist anyway.

Still wouldn't resolve the issue where you go to arm the mcom and wind up picking up an empty SMG and the ever handy tracer dart sidearm.

fffuuu.jpg

Yeah, I've lost mcoms because of that. Makes for a cunning defense strategy - quick everyone, crowd around the mcoms so that our dropped weapons and bodies might avert their plant/defuse efforts!

Yeah I've had a fair few full games lately, especially on the latest maps. It's definitely hit-and-miss though, one round you're grinding your way through a borderline empty server watching that ticket counter sloooowly deplete, the very next it's 8v8 or thereabouts and all hell's breaking loose.

What would be excellent for the next Battlefield would be some sort of scaling ticket system, where your kills are worth more in quieter games so they don't drag on for half an hour because of a lack of people to kill. That said, a matchmaking system that fills in empty spaces as quick as CoD's would obviously be ideal.

I'm basically on this any spare moment I have in a day

Cool.

I just don't get something about battlefield online on 360. I started playing BF back when 2 came out. Played that quite a lot then a little bit of the expansions and got pretty good. Then I had a gap and played other military games a bit. Then I played a bit of 1943 when that came out. Now I have started playing this.

I fully expected to roll on to this and struggle, at least at first. It has been out for an age, most of casuals will have moved on by now and it'll be populated by the hardcore who know every corner of every map.

Yet this doesn't seem to be the case. Both me and my mate who used to play BF2 together have noticed the same thing: people aren't very good at battlefield on 360. As soon as I put the disc in, I went straight to the first online game. I didn't even know what the controls were and still got 5 kills and 1 death.

It really seems like the 360 crowd just don't get it. We tried to rationalise it over the weekend by imagining all these CoD players playing battlefield in the same way as they play CoD or Halo. In my eyes, battlefield is very different to both of those game.

I did see things like 3 people camped on a building in the middle of the map all with sniper rifles about 5 feet from each other.

Thoughts? Do the 360 online crowd just not get it or did I just have one night of coming up against idiots? I feel that I only happened upon one guy in about 5 games who seemed to understand how to play battlefield.

Do the 360 online crowd just not get it or did I just have one night of coming up against idiots?

The former, for the most part. You can certainly tell when you're going up against a team with some semblance of a plan; one organised squad can steamroll an entire side.

Personally I just seem to gel with BFBC2 despite not having played any of the PC games. It's not that I have the best twitch skills or anything like that, but I think success in this game largely comes down to one thing: initiative. If a charge needs planting, I'll go for it. If a tank or chopper is terrorising our team I'll do whatever I can with the equipment on-hand. If I see that my squad are dead and I'm in a good spawning position, I'll hang back for a bit so they jump behind me. None of those things are very remarkable but it seems like a large chunk of the game's players are wearing blinkers, completely unaware of what's going on outside their own iron sights or even what spotting is.

On the other hand I don't really mind. It's nice to have a multiplayer game that generally goes my way for a change.

The former, for the most part. You can certainly tell when you're going up against a team with some semblance of a plan; one organised squad can steamroll an entire side.

Personally I just seem to gel with BFBC2 despite not having played any of the PC games. It's not that I have the best twitch skills or anything like that, but I think success in this game largely comes down to one thing: initiative. If a charge needs planting, I'll go for it. If a tank or chopper is terrorising our team I'll do whatever I can with the equipment on-hand. If I see that my squad are dead and I'm in a good spawning position, I'll hang back for a bit so they jump behind me. None of those things are very remarkable but it seems like a large chunk of the game's players are wearing blinkers, completely unaware of what's going on outside their own iron sights or even what spotting is.

On the other hand I don't really mind. It's nice to have a multiplayer game that generally goes my way for a change.

That's a good way of putting it and I think the reason why I feel I do quite well in this too. I get the impression that a lot of players must put way too much focus on their K/D ratios, which promotes a way of playing that is not conducive to either Rush or Conquest. It can be very frustrating when you feel like you're the only one taking any risks and making any actual moves.

I always start a defence match with my engineer laying down the max amount of mines and I'm almost always guaranteed to net a couple of idiots in a tank who fail to pay attention to the road in front of them. People are idiots. :)

I haven't played Vietnam yet so I don't know how viable this would be... but I used to lay mines a lot on the levels with boats. Laguna was a favourite for this, it only takes one mine to blow a boat up so you can really spread them out along the coastline in the spots where people like to make a landing. People really don't expect you to do it and you can make quite a few kills even with the slightly dodgy detection when mines end up in water.

I find the 360 crowd generally move fairly intelligently, cautious and mutually covering angles etc, it's the more strategic decisions they lack.

For example, frequently I find there's a couple of tanks back at base that no-one has bothered to roll into the fight - usually I discover this as our infantry is being thrown into a hopeless meatgrinder at some chokepoint. Also this makes a tempting grand-theft-auto target for enemy griefers. Legitimate move if no-one bothered to patrol the spawn periodically, I say.

Similarly, if an enemy manages to sneak behind the spawn, rarely will anyone tackle him, instead leaving him to pick people off and blow the uav.

Quite often no-one will switch up to engineer when armour is dominating, either.

It's not stupidity, but sheer indignance imo.

'Someone deal with that cunt.....not me though, I'm busy.'

I really, really wish this game worked properly. It's my favourite online shooter but I swear it conspires for me to hate it.

Microsoft Points card in hand I boot up the game on 360, deciding to dabble in a bit of Onslaught before laying down the dosh for Vietnam. Apparently my skill level has reduced from 199 to 0, but whatever, the game can never make up its mind. Searching. Searching... Okay, evidently this isn't working. Exit to dashboard, boot the game back up. I'll give regular multiplayer a try instead. Searching. Searching... Fine, forget it.

Load up the PS3 version. Apparently I'm rank 0 despite the leaderboards displaying correctly, but no matter I can make do with iron sights. I still need to do Atacama Onslaught on Hardcore so decide to give that a go. Game found! That's better. Although it's taking a very long time to load. An exceedingly long time... Fine, exit to XMB, load up the game again. Let's try Onslaught one more time. Game found and... I'm in! I don't have anything unlocked thanks to the stats bug but I can make do. Hmm, that guy doesn't appear to be dying. And now I'm back on the main menu without so much as an error message. Sweet.

Teething problems I can forgive but it's been 10 months now, DICE.

Thoughts? Do the 360 online crowd just not get it or did I just have one night of coming up against idiots? I feel that I only happened upon one guy in about 5 games who seemed to understand how to play battlefield.

It's pretty well established that console gamers are a bit dumb. You can kind of see why though - PC gamers don't have the potential of having to time-share the TV, they're locked in a separate room not disturbing anyone and there's a certain obsessiveness required to bother to upgrade a PC to gaming spec rather than just having a console because you fancied playing some games and the guy in the shop said this one was good. Battlefield players on PC probably upgraded their machines specifically for the game (I know I used to).