Battlefield: Bad Company 2

merge

That's proof that no one spots in this game.

I spot 10x the amount I heal/repair/resupply.

I run around jamming Q constantly, it's amazing how so many people don't do it though.

Heads-up, there is a RLLMUK Steam group Bad Company 2 night happening this Saturday at 8PM, if you bought it in the sale and haven't played it yet, or haven't played for a while, now is your chance.

I run around jamming Q constantly, it's amazing how so many people don't do it though.

I regularly tap the spot button at the horizon if I suspect the enemy is hiding there, or if I am going to be otherwise occupied and be unable to spot for a few seconds. It helps rack up the "spot assist" points and has instigated more than a few good kills for me when using smgs, LMGs and ARs without scopes. In conjunction with the perks for better aiming stability you can easily pop snipers from a distance with the shorter range weapons.

On Hill 137 as the American troops I have been loving that tunnel by checkpoint A which leads into the NVA base (not going up the hill). It is never guarded and takes you right to where their snipers hang out watching the game. An easy way to collect dogtags.

Have DICE said anything about what they are going to do to stop the PBR exploit? At the moment it is literally every single game and it is utter, utter bullshit. Until it gets patched this game is broken and unplayable.

I switched over to Hardcore mode in Vietnam to avoid the glitchers and to be honest I've been getting much more entertaining, exciting, co-ordinated games with squads/teams who work together efficiently and actually seem to know what they're doing. The downside of course - the lack of spotting - is not something I miss as much as I would in the main game, and in fact it favours the period atmosphere well. I'll take that over hopeless team-mates, lazy recons and PBR glitchers any day of the week.

Hopefully DICE will address it in the next patch. From the community manager for the game's Twitter "Can't understand how we let that one slip. Pushing for a patch to resolve under-map PBR kills and huey health. "

I hope they don't bump the Huey health up too much. Having Helicopters vulnerable to small arms fire is good. I'm sick of getting mauled by Apaches and Havoks in BC2 because you can barely scratch the paint unless you use one of the woefully small number of AA-guns in the game. It's damn hard to tag one with a tracer dart and without man-portable SAMs in the game you're pretty much screwed if you're spotted by a helo.

I think the Huey's armour could do with a bit of a tweak. It's ridiculous getting shot down literally 10 seconds after taking off, which happens particularly often in conquest due to the amount of tanks on the map. I agree they shoudn't overdo it though - one of the joys of Vietnam is bringing down a chopper with an LMG or shotgun :)

I think the Huey's armour could do with a bit of a tweak. It's ridiculous getting shot down literally 10 seconds after taking off, which happens particularly often in conquest due to the amount of tanks on the map. I agree they shoudn't overdo it though - one of the joys of Vietnam is bringing down a chopper with an LMG or shotgun :)

Or your M40 when it's got barely any health left.

To be fair, a couple of engineers repairing the thing whilst it's flying sorts out any issues with lack of armour. It's a shame it has such weedy rockets, but with a couple of gunners that know what they're doing it's lethal.

I can't gun for shit in Hueys, whenever I get in one the pilot acts like he's getting shot in the head (which to be fair, 90% of the time he is) and I can't draw a bead on anything.

I do think their armour needs a slight tweek too, I've downed them with Mac 10s several times.

To be fair, a couple of engineers repairing the thing whilst it's flying sorts out any issues with lack of armour. It's a shame it has such weedy rockets, but with a couple of gunners that know what they're doing it's lethal.

You do have to be practically hovering or moving really slowly to repair in-chopper though, it's not a case of being able to do so all the time - and doing either of those things makes you extremely vulnerable to tanks and small arms fire. Sensible pilots will take off for short sorties then return to base for repair, but in Conquest it's obviously a far riskier strategy than in the spawn-protection zones of Rush.

The other day I was playing Phu Bai conquest and an enemy sniper was picking off the pilot every time anyone got in the chopper at the US base meaning it coud'nt even get of the heli pad...

You do have to be practically hovering or moving really slowly to repair in-chopper though, it's not a case of being able to do so all the time - and doing either of those things makes you extremely vulnerable to tanks and small arms fire. Sensible pilots will take off for short sorties then return to base for repair, but in Conquest it's obviously a far riskier strategy than in the spawn-protection zones of Rush.

The other day I was playing Phu Bai conquest and an enemy sniper was picking off the pilot every time anyone got in the chopper at the US base meaning it coud'nt even get of the heli pad...

This is why I always park a jeep in front of the chopper at the start of every round

Surely killing the sniper would be a better use of resources?!

Nope not really. He can just keep returning to the same spot, meaning I have to watch him exclusively. Meaning we lose a useful player. Jeeps are of very little practical use and using one to protect a chopper is a very good use of resources IMO

I've noticed my spots disappear after only a few seconds on Vietnam, is it always like this? I swear they used to last longer on BC2, about 10 seconds at least.

I thought so too but it seems to be a mixed bag. Eg would be playing assualt and could see the triangles for a decent period of time. Then on a different map, playing sniper and having to respot pretty reguarly. (the spot perk helped here)

Is it something to do with a spotted enemy remaining in the line of sight of your team? So if a sniper spots someone hiding way up in the trees, they might disappear again quickly

Dunno because often I see people go behind rocks and such so they are definitely out of sight but they still have a glowing triangle above them. As far as i was concerned spotting lasted about 8 seconds or so all the time? Not seen any less, though i have had the problem where it won't spot people. I believe that is to do with 'over spotting' and you have to give it a rest for a couple of seconds.

So pleased to see discussions about spotting in general, it pisses me off when people fail to spot on my team :blush:

I agree on the lack of spotting, however i have also noticed it's a lot harder to spot in Vietnam, even though i've got my crosshair near the guy and he's not that far away

It's always been a bit patchy, at least on the PC. Sometimes you'll be mashing Q on someone two feet away and you get nothing, other times you casually press it whilst pointing at some bushes half a mile away and mark five people. It's weird. I'm pretty sure any spotted enemy stays spotted for a specific length of time though.

I'm pretty sure the consensus is that if you hammer the Spot button too much when there's nothing there, it disables it for a short time.

So that you can't just press Q/whatever repeatedly, for the duration of the match. You have to actually spot people.

Thats not what we're talking about. We're saying that once someone is spotted, sometimes the spot disappears immediately, sometimes it stays for ages

People are talking about both, actually.

well in that case I think they mean that sometimes you press spot right near a guy and it doesnt work, and other times you'll press it in the random direction of the enemy and get 4 guys pop up.

Whatever the rules it always feels quite inconsistent