Battlefield: Bad Company 2

I would like to report that Vantage Point really does come into it own on Squad Deathmatch. Unlike the other modes when you're constantly rushing up and down trying to cap bases its all about holding the centre hill (and the tank that spawns there) leading to some really nail-biting, gripping battles fought out between the four squads. The other maps are also pretty good in this mode but that one particularly stands out.

I've been spreading my time back to the original and discovering just how truly awesome motion mines are. I've never been a massive fan of Recon, only really turning to it when I feel I have to rather than choosing to, but getting up close & personal with the G3 and bunging motion mines to help people with an MCOM attack or defence is pure awesome. I racked up nearing 100 assists in about 5 matches as we mowed through a full enemy team on Cold War and then proceeded to hold them at the first set of stations after the turnaround.

In short - motion mines: Freakin' sweet! Also calling in extreme "Danger Close" style mortar missions is great fun, but that's another story ;)

I'm seeing the appeal of the Vietnam maps in Conquest now. It actually feels more like Rush due to the linear arrangement of bases and narrowness, but with the added option of sneaking round the back and capping the 'far' base. It has the same feeling as pushing a frontline forward, with the advanage of not having to trudge for miles every time you die if you're not in a good squad.

I'm seeing the appeal of the Vietnam maps in Conquest now. It actually feels more like Rush due to the linear arrangement of bases and narrowness, but with the added option of sneaking round the back and capping the 'far' base. It has the same feeling as pushing a frontline forward, with the advanage of not having to trudge for miles every time you die if you're not in a good squad.

Yeah exactly, i also really like how the 'frontline' is continuously shifting back and forward as team 'retake the hill' and such. I really do think they've been designed as conquest maps first and foremost.

I'm gonna be on ALL day today if peeps are around. From 4pm

Still not really feeling Conquest on anything other than Phu Bai yet. It seems if the teams are fairly evenly matched then the initial spawns often decide who wins. Plus it seems harder for a single good squad to turn the tide of the game, like they can in Rush.

But I'm definitely up for playing more. I'm willing to be convinced otherwise.

I dunno, I felt that by switching to medic I was single-handedly turning the tide in the games I just played :)

That square map with the Hueys is pretty shit on conquest, though. It's all about the narrow maps, bizarrely. I've not played Hill 137 to have an opinion on that, but the temple and vantage point are both brilliant.

Still not really feeling Conquest on anything other than Phu Bai yet. It seems if the teams are fairly evenly matched then the initial spawns often decide who wins. Plus it seems harder for a single good squad to turn the tide of the game, like they can in Rush.

I disagree. A good squad of 2 medics and engineers/assualt can flank and hold down an area very well in conquest. The problem is often once you lock down the middle point, they will take the point behind you as the random noobs are busy flamethrowing each other :hmm:

That square map with the Hueys is pretty shit on conquest, though. It's all about the narrow maps, bizarrely. I've not played Hill 137 to have an opinion on that, but the temple and vantage point are both brilliant.

What the 'eck. Phu Bai is an amazing Conquest map, if only for the tuk tuks.

Uzi/Mike/Kerraig: Lagged out again sorry, but I needed to go anyway. Might be back later.

Half price sale over at the EA store today, including the vietnam DLC (£4.99). If you also include the promocode 'o3gfubinq' at the basket you get a further 25% off. Vietnam for £3.74 aint bad! You get a cd key after purchasing it, and you just slap the key from within Bad Company 2, not steam as some people have been doing.

It's intermittent for me - I find that I really have to concentrate to have a good time on BF2, and much of the time I'm too ADD for that - but when this game is good, it's seriously good. The sections where you have a tight squad all attacking an objective in unison are just amazing.

I think my favourite moment on this recently was when a friend and I were rolling at the second crates on Harvest Day in a tank, trying to break a stalemate. We got stuck in the river, and RPGs rained down on us. Mate got out to repair, but was killed, so I got out to revive him, then got back in to blast away with the main gun while he finished his repair. Then he got killed again, so I had to revive him again! He got back in, I drove up to the crate, firing shells all over the place, and planted while he provided covering fire with the tank's machine gun.

So intense and awesome, and we felt like (internet) badasses.

But yes, you generally need at least one other person on your squad who is at least trying to play with some form of co-ordination or tactics.

Please dont let my favourite game of all time slip off the front page, i'll cry.

Man, Oasis Conquest is just immense. Pure urban fighting, snipers on rooftops, jeeps roaming the streets, jetskis on the water. Its incredible. I also had my best ever streak of pure skill on there yesterday with Xicewolf and I wish to god the game had video recording because it was pure Sandy Ravage

Holding B point when the enemy had both A&C, with a useless team sat on rooftops way back at our original spawn. The enemy came swarming at me from every angle. i was up in some containers and the walls were slowly disintegrating from noob tube and rocket fire. I literally took 25 of the fuckers before they got me, grenading behind me, then spinning round and firing a rocket at a roof before spinning another 90 degrees to pop 2 heads, then stabbing a guy coming up the stairs, nicking his kit to rearm myself, firing his noob tubes out before picking my kit back up and rocketing 2 more guys coming up the stairs. Another guy running round to the stairs beneath me but I have to reload everything, so I jump out behind him, stab him and nick his kit. And on and on until I finally got taken out by a sniper miles away. It was breathless and incredible.

I can't believe the master servers, on PC anyway, are still so screwed. I've lost count of the number of points, medals, etc., I've seemingly lost because it's yet again timed out connecting to the fucking thing. Seriously, fuck you, EA.

Also, there's some weird shit going on when switching back from Vietnam to plain BC2, I think, in that sometimes it corrupts my spec setups.

/rage

Just saw this on Reddit. Thought it might be of interest:

Y8ztq.png

Global PC Statistics

TOTAL TIME PLAYED (HRS) 54,403,819

TOTAL RESUPPLIES 334,526,184

TOTAL REPAIRS 148,194,628

TOTAL REVIVES 164,089,452

TOTAL SPOTS 90,316,420

Global XBOX360 Statistics

TOTAL TIME PLAYED (HRS) 94,527,791

TOTAL RESUPPLIES 324,543,640