Battlefield: Bad Company 2

They get their matchmaking system a teeny bit better with each Battlefield franchise game, if you can believe that! They need MW2's room merge though.

They need to carbon copy the Halo Reach system. And that includes TrueSkill, which works stupidly well.

Joined a squad with you earlier Strawp but you didn't have a mic?

Ah yes, sorry. I did see you but I have a new headset (Turtle Beach X11, not bad) which I tend to have the chat volume down on and the mic muted when I'm with randoms. I'm not sure how long you were there before the round finished. I left when we won and then the map switched to Nelson Bay and I discovered there was no one else on my team and a full lot on the attackers side.

I'm not familiar with that. How does it work?

Matchmaking on Halo Reach is the best system out there. It's just really, really solid. Every now and then you'll get 3v3 instead of 4v4 (or 7v7 instead of 8v8), but you'll never be put into a game where it's 4v1 or 1v1, or any other ridiculous shit.

TrueSkill is simply a ranking system. But it's behind the scenes. Based on your wins/losses kills/deaths etc. you get a rank. That rank goes up and down with every single game. It's very, very rare to go into a game of Reach and dominate or be dominated. It only really tends to happen when you're in a full team who are all communicating and working together, and the opposing team are all randoms that don't even have headsets in.

There are so many factors in Battlefield I don't see how something like that would work much differently from the rank system.

The rank system as it stands, is just like the rank system in Halo Reach. Or Call Of Duty. It's no indicator of skill - simply an indicator of how many hours you've put in.

Halo can have trouble matching you into 4v4 games if your party is of mixed skill, so I don't think trueskill matchmaking would be viable in a 24 player game. It might also mean games take longer to fill up after people quit.

The game just needs a lobby system that lets you get 12 people together in one party, sort yourself into squads, search for a map and gametype and wait for the other team to fill up.

The rank system as it stands, is just like the rank system in Halo Reach. Or Call Of Duty. It's no indicator of skill - simply an indicator of how many hours you've put in.

I see what you mean, but I don't think it'd be compatible with the class system and all the skills in the way you've described it there. I suppose it could just be points accrued over time played though, that'd give you a pretty good idea of how much positive stuff a player was doing.

Actually doesnt BF have a "skill rating" if you look on the leader boards it allows you to sort by skill. Mine is 158 which seems a bit rubbish to me! I thought I was better :P

Surely it uses that for matchmaking?

I'm not totally sure what the skill rating really means. Mine goes from around 164 up to 198 at times. It seems to fluctuate each time I play. Even if last time I left the game I was doing well it will suddenly say my skill rating has dropped.

The map pack has just completely fucked the game up. They really need to introduce a new map playlist as everyone just quits when the old maps come into rotation. Is was fine a week ago and now its impossible to get a good session going.

Agreed, the new maps have been a complete and utter disaster. I don't like playing on them but because of the habit of everyone instantly quitting when a good map comes back on I haven't had much choice but to join them. Today I was getting a lot of slowdown on Harvest Day and also pop-up of an irritating though maybe advantageous nature - you know those hay bales? Well I couldn't always see them from afar but I could see the Recon who was sat behind them, after plugging a few shots and wondering why I couldn't hit I wandered a bit closer to see them pop into view and out again as I walked backwards. Great feature there, sure glad they made some super huge maps.

I know I'm not the only person to not like them which is why a playlist would be so helpful, me and the people who still enjoy the simple pleasures of Isla Innocentes and Nelson Bay can carry on as we were while everyone with a hard on for fucking tanks can nob about on the new maps. If anything my experience would be better than ever - kind of like when you get the mass emigration of idiots whenever a new COD comes out. To play Arica Harbor again without anyone using vehicle optics... ahhh...

Alas :(

Got Rank 50 today, seems like as good a time as any to knock it on the head till Vietnam comes out. Speaking of which does anyone know what weapons are in the game? At first I wondered if they were going back to fixed weapons for each class and side but I remembered a video saying the flamethrower didn't have its own class. Is there a list or anything somewhere ?

I like all of the new maps, and while it might be too early to say, I wouldn't be surprised if Harvest Day ended up as one of my favourites!

Congrats on reaching rank 50. I finished off the insignias and silver starred all the guns last week, now I'm working on golding them all. I think I'll be in the mid to low 40s when I've done that so hopefully Vietnam will make the final grind easier, as all the XP earned carries over to BC2.

You can see all the Vietnam weapons here:

I thought the games last night were great Frosty, the attacking one on Oasis especially. That's a hard fight for the attacking team. Congrats on level 50 btw.

Hopefully the map migration will stop soon as people get used to the new ones. I've had solid runs of 6-7 rounds the last few nights.

I guess I picked the wrong time to get this game, the frustration of having servers just empty is really getting to me.

Also getting stuck playing against organised squads of rank 50 players while my team of noobs gets butchered over and over again is wearing a bit thin lol.

Not the BF experience I was hoping for really.

Agreed, the new maps have been a complete and utter disaster. I don't like playing on them but because of the habit of everyone instantly quitting when a good map comes back on I haven't had much choice but to join them. Today I was getting a lot of slowdown on Harvest Day and also pop-up of an irritating though maybe advantageous nature - you know those hay bales? Well I couldn't always see them from afar but I could see the Recon who was sat behind them, after plugging a few shots and wondering why I couldn't hit I wandered a bit closer to see them pop into view and out again as I walked backwards. Great feature there, sure glad they made some super huge maps.

I know I'm not the only person to not like them which is why a playlist would be so helpful, me and the people who still enjoy the simple pleasures of Isla Innocentes and Nelson Bay can carry on as we were while everyone with a hard on for fucking tanks can nob about on the new maps. If anything my experience would be better than ever - kind of like when you get the mass emigration of idiots whenever a new COD comes out. To play Arica Harbor again without anyone using vehicle optics... ahhh...

Alas :(

Got Rank 50 today, seems like as good a time as any to knock it on the head till Vietnam comes out. Speaking of which does anyone know what weapons are in the game? At first I wondered if they were going back to fixed weapons for each class and side but I remembered a video saying the flamethrower didn't have its own class. Is there a list or anything somewhere ?

Wholeheartedly agree. Just make it a seperate playlist.

I WAS hating the new maps, until I played last night with Trigg and Biscuitpower. Rolling together through harvest day with an enginner keeping a tank alive, while we used the tank for mobile cover and smokes to infiltrate the town felt utterly UTTERLY badass. Probably one of my very best games of BC2 yet i think. Harvest day is such a hard one to attack but I realise now it just takes proper actual teamwork. It took us about 30 tickets to get into the town, but it was 30 tickets of constantly gaining ground, instead of rush, die, back to base, rush, die.

And when we finally got into the town on the 2nd point we had them utterly surrounded.

Knocking down the final mcom with 5 tickets left felt like such a hard fought battle.

Was then the same thing on Oasis. holding them back at the first checkpoint then slowly closing the net around them. Their team was full of level 50's and they were all doing everything right, but we just had the teamwork down.

Do still wish I could play on another map though. My favourite online game ever and its basically ruined.

DICE just really, really need to have it so that servers are filled and teams are balanced in matches. Virtually every other online game does it but Battlefield has been plagued by this problem since launch with no fixes. The new maps are merely highlighting a problem that was always endemic to the game.

Wholeheartedly agree. Just make it a seperate playlist.

I WAS hating the new maps, until I played last night with Trigg and Biscuitpower. Rolling together through harvest day with an enginner keeping a tank alive, while we used the tank for mobile cover and smokes to infiltrate the town felt utterly UTTERLY badass. Probably one of my very best games of BC2 yet i think. Harvest day is such a hard one to attack but I realise now it just takes proper actual teamwork. It took us about 30 tickets to get into the town, but it was 30 tickets of constantly gaining ground, instead of rush, die, back to base, rush, die.

And when we finally got into the town on the 2nd point we had them utterly surrounded.

Knocking down the final mcom with 5 tickets left felt like such a hard fought battle.

Was then the same thing on Oasis. holding them back at the first checkpoint then slowly closing the net around them. Their team was full of level 50's and they were all doing everything right, but we just had the teamwork down.

Do still wish I could play on another map though. My favourite online game ever and its basically ruined.

Those two games you've mentioned were truely epic. When games are like those last night BC2 feels like the greatest game in the world. It was exciting, tense and rewarding when we executed our plan to a tee. Cracking fun! I think it was Oasis when you was in a tank covering and biscuit was on a MG gun on a roof somewhere covering as I made a run for it totake a MCOM station and the gunfire was just everywhere. I was exhausted when we finally won that one!

It is a shame that the new maps are the only ones you can play at the moment unless you want 12 against 4 or something equally stupid. Hopefully the new Vietnam expansion will iron out some of those problems *fingers crossed*.

I can't wait for another session because it's stupidly enjoyable :)

I'm quite enjoying all the new maps but like other people have pointed out is sadly ruined when the game finishes and an old map comes.Cue mass quitting from most players until your left with 4v3 or something ridiculous.

I'll send out some friend request to some of you guys who aren't on my list as I'm always up for playing this despite the problems the new maps have brought.