Red Steel

rubberducker

The AI seems dumbed down in that trailer (maybe purposefully?), I remember saying how good the AI looked at E3, in this trailer all they do is stand still and shoot at you, ducking under an object every now and then.

Also, the section where you see the players arm and the in-game characters arm at the same time (1:08) shows you just how stupid the floating arm looks.

AND - What the hell are the slow motion sections there for? All it seems to do is remove (what would probably be) the more exciting sections and replaces them with what seems to be some sort of target practice game where you line up/shoot inanimate objects. Pointless.

Looks like a solid FPS to me, which will sink or swim on the strength of the Wiimote. I do hope they get it right though, graphically I looked decent enough and I do think the mix of bullet time targeting (which I actually think is a rather neat idea) and swordplay are all worthy attempts at sprucing up the genre.

jesus, there's some joyless sods in this thread.

If it turns out to be fun, it turns out to be fun. But the over-egging of how much the guy is enjoying it seems to me to be at odds with the "action" on screen, and despite my being a massive proponent of the Wii in concept, I'm not convinced it's being used effectively here.

It's true though. Even the most boring EyeToy game is fun the first time you experience it.

.::: This is completely different though. It's more comparable to when Metroid Prime first came out. People are used to certain standards when playing certain games. I remember the first time playing Prime and being asked if I'd ever played it before because I didn't have any problems with the one-stick moving/shooting.

Red Steel is exactly like that. Morons in front of me were waving the Remote around as if they had uncontrollable spasm-attacks. When I finally got my chance to play it, just playing it with small subdued movements proved to be perfect. After a few minutes I couldn't fathom how those weird movies came into existence. You know, the ones where the crosshair goes all over the place. What happens there? Did everybody lose their ability to actually play a game!?

The sword-fighting was a joy, and (tbh) far too easy once you understood the system. Nope the sword doesn't let you play 'freeform', but it sure as hell feels like you're performing the moves anyway as the result on screen is instantaneous. I'm really happy having played this as it confirms that everybody else who've touched it was either a moron or just wasn't good at games (that said, this notion will only be properly confirmed after Sprite Machine starts complaining 'it doesn't work and is unfair' :().

Complain all you want about the graphics, but don't slate the controls. They're fine in the E3 build and being tweaked ever since that appearance. This one is mine.

yes!

glad to hear this plays well... I've always thought that it looked like great fun.

My only concern is now, how well is it going to work in my normal gaming position (sitting at the desk, with portable tv in the corner).

Man - I wish I could play games on the big TV more often...

atlast somebody with a joy gland. nice work! :(

.::: Hehe, I'm sure it helped that I've actually played the darned thing. :( TBH all the negative talk had made me pretty sceptical about it. I was pretty gobsmacked when I found out exactly how it played and how others were c*nting around in comparison.

The key thing here is people needing to adapt to the controls. Having now played several Wii-titles it's clear that this will require you to relearn how you play games. The 'it's easier to control' part only counts if you're completely new to games, because then the direct-actions will feel more natural and logical.

We, the core gamers, have to view it as being the next DK Bongo's, so to speak. DK Jungle Beat was different to control and required a different form of mastery, but it was still a platformer at heart. That 'freshness' in exactly that way is what is being used in most Wii titles. All the other stuff people are screaming about seems to be overblown fanboy-dreams. It is far more precise than EyeToy could ever hope to be, and that's exactly why you need to adapt to it instead of thinking this will be some sort of panacea against dodgy controls.

I know I (and a lot of other people here) with hindsight have had unrealistic views of the Wii Remote. Adapting is easy, but you need to want to. If you abandoned Metroid Prime because of the 'weird controls', steer well clear of the Wii. Every game will probably be just as weird, unless they stay within EyeToy-simplicity.

I don't get where all this "Looks crap" bollox is coming from - especially aimed at the Wii.

1) We all know Wii is not as powerful as PS3 or X360.

2) The games still look good - just not as good as the more expensive machines.

3) You are acting as if slightly above Cube or XBox (whatever!) visuals are shokingly bad. Wake up call - This isnt the same jump as the PSOne/N64 era to PS2 and Cube. PSOne and N64 games have dated badly - Some PS2/Cube and XBox games are and will always be gorgeous.

4) I still don't get the whinging!!!

Still got my hopes up for this one. Sure, it's not the best looking game in the world - although the bit with the volume light stuff near the end as the screens are getting shot up is rather nice - but I'm more interested in the play mechanic, even if the "gansta" gun holding pose by twisting the Wii-mote is bound to cause some kind of tendon damage...

Ugly, as ever. But, I'll give Cy the benefit of the doubt here and look forward to the gameplay being solid.

Just a pity about the graphics - technically on par with higher-end Xbox stuff, but design wise? Ugh.

Edit: hah, I just remembered, in the Wii thread yonks ago when I was shouted down for saying it was ugly, with people adamant it was pretty, and I was just not 'seeing it'. S'yeah, right.