Wii costing $170!

Lave

why SD cards?, hasnt this thing got 512mb of onboard storage space from the git-go?; surely that'll do most of us to start with?

The what controller?

virtual console

im more worried about what kind of connections the thing will have, what if it hasnt *gasp* got RGB here either?

im more worried about what kind of connections the thing will have, what if it hasnt *gasp* got RGB here either?

Ach. I'd forgotten about the whole RGB / modded Saurian cable business on the GC. I was planning to buy a US console, to play my GC games and because I'm never being burned by NOE again on price, release dates and not releasing games over here at all.

I was slightly concerned about signing up for the online service with a US console. Now I've got to worry about TV connections too. Perhaps I'd better start checking my telly for SVideo inputs.

Maybe I'll wait and see how things work out for everyone else first.

Well, whatever. It'll be a touch less than the PS3 (and 360).

not really, if you're buying a 360 you need to be getting the premium, that's over a hundred quid more than even the highest anticipated cost of the Wii, when you take into account the extras which will probably be cheaper still in relation the 360 stuff then the price gap gets even bigger.

not really, if you're buying a 360 you need to be getting the premium, that's over a hundred quid more than even the highest anticipated cost of the Wii, when you take into account the extras which will probably be cheaper still in relation the 360 stuff then the price gap gets even bigger.

Notice the 'touch' being in italics? :lol:

Considering the explosion in customer base over recent years, and how fast machines sell these days I say pre ordering is a must if you really want it on day 1

Nah, you'll get one on day one if you want it enough. I did with the 360 and no pre-order.

Virtual Console worries are easy to come up with. I'd rather not be forced to play PAL versions of SNES games on a European Wii thanks.

they're not likely to feature the vintage PAL conversions are they?; seems like a lot of hassle for a crappy payoff to me.

Nah, you'll get one on day one if you want it enough. I did with the 360 and no pre-order.

Do you live in a big town though?, there seems to have been a lot of disapointed folk in norwich.

they're not likely to feature the vintage PAL conversions are they?; seems like a lot of hassle for a crappy payoff to me.

You're right, and I doubt it'll happen, but this sort of thing's exactly why I'm not getting a PAL one at launch - it's a £130 (or whatever) gamble on Nintendo Europe having got their act together. I'd be too worried about ending up stuck with hopelessly late releases, a smaller Virtual Console library and maybe even limited display options (again, not likely, but you never know). I'll probably leave it til the dust has settled from both launches and pick up a UK one if it's completely region-free and full-featured (and now I say that I realise how unlikely it sounds), but I can see myself getting tempted to pre-order a US one. I'd really like to be sure I'd be able to buy VC stuff and use the online service properly from the UK before I did, though.

Too many unknowns for me. It's looking to be an amazing console and I'd love to own it on day one, but Nintendo's secretiveness about region-locking, output methods, VC availability and payment etc have shot the launch in the foot as far as I'm concerned. Sod it, I'll wait a month or two.

Do you live in a big town though?, there seems to have been a lot of disapointed folk in norwich.

Nope, not one game shop in my town. You have to wake up early and travel - everywhere was supposedly way over pre-ordered but I still got one, like usual a little luck also helps.

Anyone else seen this?

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/23082006/80-91/ni...-250-euros.html

Nintendo to sell Wii in Europe for below 250 euros

Wednesday August 23, 09:04 PM

LEIPZIG, Germany (Reuters) - Japanese video game maker Nintendo Co. expects to price its new Wii gaming console below 250 euros (169 pounds) in Europe, its head of German operations said on Wednesday.

The company has earlier said the Wii would cost 25,000 yen (113 pounds) or less in Japan and $250 (132 pounds) or lower in the United States.

"The price has not been decided yet, but I expect it to be ... less than 250 euros," Bernd Fakesch told Reuters on the sidelines of a gaming

industry conference.

The Kyoto-based company will release the Wii, which features a motion sensor-enabled controller, in time for the Christmas shopping season, going head-to-head with market leader Sony's PlayStation 3 console in the nearly $30 billion global video game market.

Fakesch said the exact date of the launch was not yet decided, but that it would be "in due course".

He said the firm hoped to sell 4 million units of Wii globally by the end of the year, and reach sales of 6 million by the end of March 2007.

The company also unveiled two new games for Wii: a jump and run soccer game called Mario Strikers Charged, and Battalion Wars 2.

Unlike Microsoft Corp.'s new Xbox 360 and Sony's PlayStation 3, which boast more power and high-definition graphics, Nintendo aims to win over customers with an affordably priced unit and ground-breaking games. It also hopes to attract a broader audience than the young males who usually make up the console gaming market.

A key feature of the Wii is its one-handed controller that looks like a television remote control and uses motion-detection sensors that allow players to control the game by wielding it like a sword, waving it like a conductor's baton, or swinging it like a baseball bat.

PlayStation 3, which will hit the U.S. market on November 17, will be priced at as much as $599, while Xbox 360's premium version that is already in stores costs $399.