Wii costing $170!

Lave

I'll get one once they hit the £125 mark or thereabouts. I don't really get consoles on release anyway as the best games normally aren't out yes (apart from lumines) and it's too expensive.

What if, as widely predicted, it hits the £125 mark or thereabouts on release?

I agree with you for most console launches, and I don't tend to buy early anyway. But the last few Nintendo launches, they've gone for a sensible, non-inflated price point from the start. This means you can be confident that waiting a while isn't going to save you lots of money, so you may as well get one at launch. Unless you're one of these people that will then feel compelled to buy lots of ropey games at full price, just because you want stuff for your new console.

I'll probably buy a Wii at launch, but only get a couple of games, and then buy more stuff for it when the quality's there and the prices are good, just like I did with the DS.

As long as it comes with Wii Sports and a second controller in the pack then Nintendo are going to clean up. Personally I can't wait and neither can my daughter. Even my wife seems relatively excited about this launch which here means slightly interested rather than the total non-interest shown in any previous console launch.

Nope, they really need to do so soon

It probably will be for Wii games, given how well the Ds has done (yes, previous Ninty portables were, but the Ds has done wonders for Nintys image). I wonder if GC stuff will be locked though

The handhelds are for the portable holidayness though. You take your ds on holiday to another territory buy a game and it will work. They probably don't want you to take your wii on holiday. The gamecube even had a handle and that didn't have region-free games.

They don't seem too bothered by Freeloader though, hopefully it'll be that easy again.

The handhelds are for the portable holidayness though. You take your ds on holiday to another territory buy a game and it will work. They probably don't want you to take your wii on holiday. The gamecube even had a handle and that didn't have region-free games.

They don't seem too bothered by Freeloader though, hopefully it'll be that easy again.

I highly doubt they could have stopped freeloader anyway - it's not a modification and they didn't do too well blocking the Game Genie

Point taken about portables, but with Microsoft allowing for region free, and Sony seemingly making regions a thing of the past (this also needs claryfying), it would be foolish to enforce regions on the wii (not wanting to directly compete with Sony + MS isn't a factor imo)

How does pre-ordering work in the UK? I'm new to this whole buying consoles on release day business and I haven't a damned clue where would be the best place to order one? Comet? Game? Tesco? PCWorld??

Or are consoles available over here without pre-order if you get there early?

Considering the explosion in customer base over recent years, and how fast machines sell these days I say pre ordering is a must if you really want it on day 1

I highly doubt they could have stopped freeloader anyway - it's not a modification and they didn't do too well blocking the Game Genie

True but they did seem to fight freeloader for a bt, there was a time when new games would require a newer version. That pretty much stopped with 1.6b though. They could get round it (hance 1.6B) but never seemed to bother.

Someone might well correct me on that now.

I'm pretty sure that I read that the Freeloader was blocked on the white GCs from the Mario Smash Football bundle.

Point taken about portables, but with Microsoft allowing for region free, and Sony seemingly making regions a thing of the past (this also needs claryfying), it would be foolish to enforce regions on the wii (not wanting to directly compete with Sony + MS isn't a factor imo)

It wouldn't really be foolish. The "hardcore" won't like it but most will probably import a US/JAP machine anyway.

True but they did seem to fight freeloader for a bt, there was a time when new games would require a newer version. That pretty much stopped with 1.6b though. They could get round it (hance 1.6B) but never seemed to bother.

Someone might well correct me on that now.

Well from what I understand from playing backups, there are several different game "launchers" that have been used over the course of the GC's life (one of the softmod hacks displayed the version per game). Updated freeloader=support for newer launchers. Would explain the few issues some games have

I'm pretty sure that I read that the Freeloader was blocked on the white GCs from the Mario Smash Football bundle.

AFAIK thats the only case, but a newer version probably works (ps2 had the same "issue"). They removed the digital Av from that model, so it may have had some cost reduction measures implmented which may have affected freeloader?)

It wouldn't really be foolish. The "hardcore" won't like it but most will probably import a US/JAP machine anyway.

Would make production easier and possibly some game production (smash bros melee for example has bilingual options for ntsc copies). All the hardware would be identical (instead of 2 or 3 tiny differences) - only the psu and packaging would change.

Im buying one at launch as well, as i did the Gamecube. Im not too convinced nintendo is going to launch it in europe this year though.

Perrin Kaplin seemed to be addament at E3, that they'd launch worldwide this year. Fingers crossed.

I can't see it being over £150. That would be a slight rip off in itself, assuming it went for $250, which is the highest it can be really.

Erm, $250 + 8% sales tax (on average, say) = $270

At current exchange rates that's £145.

So, well, yes, a very slightly higher price. Until you take account of economic differences.

Erm, $250 + 8% sales tax (on average, say) = $270

At current exchange rates that's £145.

So, well, yes, a very slightly higher price. Until you take account of economic differences.

Well, whatever. It'll be a touch less than the PS3 (and 360).

the cube was 130 quid on release here.... I suspect the Wii will be the same.

I'd rather they bundled in at least a decent sized SD card and another stick controller.

What about the VC controller? You'll need it to play VC games - so is that going to come bundled as well?

Knowing nintendo - they won't be. It'll be 130 quid for the bare bones system and a controller. Then it'll be an accessory-a-rama... plus the obligatory 2 games.

So - base unit + extra controller + VC controller + SD card + 2 games

130 + 25 + 20 + 10 + 35 + 35

255 quid.