rllmuk
acidbearboy

We Want Your Soul

I have to say that Pleasure have to rate as one of the best Funk Bands from the golden era. So many great tunes, sampled all over the shop. Influencing modern artists to this day This one has got the lot, Ghetto's of the Mind. The brass on this track just exceptional!

• Upvote 3

Can't say I've heard this before today, but I like it. Pretty sure Full Intention sampled the vocals in the 90s (or at least played a track that did so in their essential mix). 

Mystic Merlin - Just Can't Give You Up, 1980

I've missed posting stuff in here and will endeavour to do it more often.

This tune is an absolute killer. Just one of a treasure trove of burger highlife that exists out there. Essentially a fusion of classic African highlife with contemporary electronic aesthetics produced by Ghanaians in Hamburg in the late eighties and early nineties. It's got basically everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOSlNMDRR-A

R-5108978-1473666738-5222.jpeg.jpg

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

I've missed posting stuff in here and will endeavour to do it more often.

This tune is an absolute killer. Just one of a treasure trove of burger highlife that exists out there. Essentially a fusion of classic African highlife with contemporary electronic aesthetics produced by Ghanaians in Hamburg in the late eighties and early nineties. It's got basically everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOSlNMDRR-A

R-5108978-1473666738-5222.jpeg.jpg

What’s this? An amazing return?! Of Art Vandelay?!?!? 

:wub:

On 02/04/2019 at 19:05, nightwaxon said:

I have to say that Pleasure have to rate as one of the best Funk Bands from the golden era. So many great tunes, sampled all over the shop. Influencing modern artists to this day This one has got the lot, Ghetto's of the Mind. The brass on this track just exceptional!

Funnily enough, I had this delivered a couple of days ago. My vinyl copy is stashed somewhere...

image.thumb.jpg.705b0559752ee84fa59479e5997a9c04.jpg

• Upvote 2

Jesus. Long time no see, Art. Where have you been? Digging for lost treasure by the sounds of it. That synth solo in minute three of that Nana Tuffour jam almost excuses your long absence. Welcome back, man. I hope you've got more good stuff to share!

My favourite pleasure track has always been Joyous. I love the way it kicks off with a boisterous sax solo, then drops into a funky little break before the trademark horns come in, followed by those smooth vocal harmonies. The first half of the track is a real nice little song. Then we hit the break again before the second half of the track starts - the business end. The guitar solo starts out innocently enough but quickly gathers steam and builds into an absolute monster. The disco-esque strings to end the track are the icing on the cake. It fades out so quick you just gotta play it again.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, ZOK said:

What’s this? An amazing return?! Of Art Vandelay?!?!? 

:wub:

17 hours ago, acidbearboy said:

Jesus. Long time no see, Art. Where have you been? Digging for lost treasure by the sounds of it. That synth solo in minute three of that Nana Tuffour jam almost excuses your long absence. Welcome back, man. I hope you've got more good stuff to share!

Ah, you guuuuys.

I should've cooked up a decent back story, but the drab reality is I was just way too busy to be frittering my spare time away posting my nonsense, then got out of the habit of coming here. That, or I was a missing co-conspirator in the Hatton Garden heist and have been in hiding. Who knows?

Anyway, have a tune. You can pretty much take your pick on this album as it's start to finish solid gold. Arguably one of Motown's most underrated.

• Upvote 1

He had a great run of form with Willie Mitchell in the seventies. Probably wasn't blessed with Al Green's hits, or his knack of coming up with song titles that look sound 50 years later, but the production was amazing.

A couple of gems from the archive:

"Walking in Rhythm" by The Blackbyrds, from 1974. Just happy, easy going groove. Perfect for a summers day.

"Give It All You Got" by The Strikers, from 1981. Killer bassline and a nice groove. 

The piano chords towards the back end of the tune remind me a little of Italo-Disco classic "Midnight Cocktail" by Gazebo, from 1983 - which I can never post often enough.

• Upvote 2

Love that tune, one of my favourites. Joey Negro has done a re-edit of it that's worth looking for.

In other news, I saw Leroy Burgess with a full band last week. Sweet suffering Jesus it was good. Knocked out everything you'd hope he would – Black Ivory, Universal Robot Band, Fonda Rae, Heartbreaker, Class Action. He even had time to do a ballad of Convertion – Let's Do It and then Big Time by Rick James. Must've been waiting nearly 20 years to experience his music in that context. A mind blowing artist and almost certainly, depending on what day you ask, the unrivalled king of boogie.

Enough of my waffle, have a 7" bomb.