rllmuk
acidbearboy

We Want Your Soul

Love that joint. I've never been able to find out anything about them, it's obviously shot through with Parliament / Funkadelic dna, but I've never heard them mentioned in my funk delvings. A real curio.

Yeah it goes without saying they only did that one album. I noticed the label was called Inner City records but had to assume it wasn't the jazz label of the same name. Looking into it a bit further it seems there was also an Inner City records in Oakland owned by one George Semper, the same George Semper listed as the keyboard player and arranged on The Perfect Circle. The plot thickens!

That led me to this...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Inner-City-Sounds-Various-Artists/dp/B00008YJE7/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1417344273&sr=8-3&keywords=inner+city+sounds

treasures from the archives of that same label, including Perfect Circle's hands of Time, which is winging it's way to me right now. Hopefully the liner notes will shed more light on who these elusive funkmeisters were. I'll report back anon.

Some lovely tidbits I have been tucking into lately. First up is Bobby Rush, many life lessons to be learned from this man:

This next one is a very delicious slice of jazz fusion from Jeff Lorber Fussion. Unstoppably lovely:

Then there is this rare groove morsel by TS Monk, it's a smooth as you like. Last of the Wicked Romancers. Play it to your girl on Valentine's Day!

And finally there is this track, a modern one from Ron Willis which is cheesy as hell, but shot through with purest RnB joy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aJrL5SNOak

• Upvote 1

Professor Lynda Barry posted a link to this top 100 soul music tumblrs list the other day, and while it's bound to be a mixed bag I already have very high hopes for this one: http://gospelfunk.tumblr.com. Mainly because I've recently been hypnotised by Numero Group's amazing Good God! releases.

This one's pretty good too: http://sugartownqueersoulshindig.tumblr.com/. Obviously I'm just going by which ones have the best names, but not without success.

• Upvote 1

Much niceness there abb!

In other news, I went to see Parliament Funkadelic last night. I've seen them a few times in the nineties and assumed it was going to be a great show, but it was actually unbelievable, possibly the best gig I've ever seen. If anyone is going to Glastonbury, do not miss them, all signs point to incredible.

Yeah I saw George & P-Funk the other night too (in Oxford). I went in with low expectations but ended up singing dancing and laughing my arse off for the entire 3hr+ set.

Bop Gun (Endangered Species) was one of many many highlights.

Loved the contortionist stripper Sir Nose, and George wanking the the mic stand in my face, and the slow tempo'd One Nation Under A Groove.

I think I'll be high off that night for quite a while.

And ABB - Alphonse Mouzon is such a badass drummer. I love his late '70s / early '80s session work.

Oh really? They didn't play Bop Gun last night, shame.

I think what got me was how amazing the young funkateers were, their bits doing what I presume are more recent P-Funk noodles were some of my favourites. And Blackbird McKnight thrashing Maggot Brain, that was just incredible. It was a shame they didn't do stuff like Bullet Proof and Double Oh Oh, but they did a blistering Atomic Dog, so that sufficed.

For some reason I thought they might play Airbound, which is pretty much my favourite 'recent' (from 1989!) George Clinton outing. They didn't, but it's on YouTube these days, so tuck in:

Not a :wub: big enough for that track for me.

I thought about ZOK this morning. Not in the "special" way, but because a particular track came on my music player while i was sitting on the bus. I thought to myself "You know who would like this? That bloke I don't actually know."

What a crazy mixed up world.

Anyway it was this one:

• Upvote 3

I'm really into this Morales remix at the moment, much better than the original for my money. Any disco track that has a piano as the lead instrument gets my vote:

Apologies for the slightly raunchy video...

I uploaded this Aretha Franklin live track to Youtube last year sometime as it wasn't online anywhere (from the expanded Complete Live at Fillmore West), really starts cooking in the second half but it's all fantastic - amazing band. There's a slightly better version from the night before but I think it got hit by the copyright hammer:

I thought about ZOK this morning. Not in the "special" way, but because a particular track came on my music player while i was sitting on the bus. I thought to myself "You know who would like this? That bloke I don't actually know."

What a crazy mixed up world.

Anyway it was this one:

Great version. Not as good as the masters version though. Possibly one of my favourite soul acts of all time! Russell Thompkins Jr. The master of the falsetto!

Struck up a conversation with a guy at work the other day about what a great tune Shame by Evelyn "Champagne" King is. Then it dawned on me that I know very little else from her. I guess Love Come Down is her other biggie. So I hit up Spotify and they have expanded albums with remixes and b-sides a plenty. I started with 1985's A Long Time Coming, which was pretty solid albeit very much of its time. But I am very much down with that mid eighties electronic disco/soul sound. Then I moved on to 1980's Call On Me, which has a more disco and jazz-funk vibe. The 12" version of Let's Get Funky is a classic slice of disco boogie! Both are worth your time, here are the links.

A Long Time Coming 1985 (Don't miss Take a Chance on disc 2)

https://open.spotify.com/album/1qJETi8QTwFNZ6AotSzlTJ

Call On Me 1980

https://open.spotify.com/album/12CdpHpSCfHbBTm7LMUz41

Good tips abb, I don't know much about her myself.

I have been listening to this a lot again, I Need You by BVSMP:

I regard it as a perfect soul tune. It's made out of what seems like nothing, and yet it is just everything. It's just stunning.

Worth reading the YouTube comments if you can be bothered, people from all over the world talking about the 80s, and then the girl in the video starts commenting too!

If anyone is after any sweet, sweet jazz funk to chow down on (and who isn't!), chase up this MFSB album Mysteries of the World. It's their last one, from 1980, and it's fabulous. I can't get enough of it at the moment, every track is golden.

Here's the title track, if you like this one you'll like it all:

And here's that Spotify link that seems to be what all the kids are after these days! https://open.spotify.com/album/3HFASQCSrKTM9DSu3FevyN

• Upvote 3