We Want Your Soul

acidbearboy

13 hours ago, acidbearboy said:

Quality Soul-Jazz from Ronnie Laws, 1980.

-edit- Youtube played me Friends & Strangers next - another cracking tune!

Both fantastic tracks! If you don’t know it abb, check out Dave Grusin’s beautiful cover of Friends and Strangers - he brings that smooth Japanese Jazz feel to it, and it’s a delight:

• 3 weeks later...

Such a tune. Rick James had a great run around that time.

This one is a bit special, a beautiful edit of Odyssey's Inside Out by Al Kent. It's a real quest to find a playable copy as there seemed to be a catastrophic pressing issue and they all sound completely trash. Worth persevering though!

I don’t know enough Rick James. Superfreak (obviously) and Give It To Me Baby we’re the only tracks I really knew. But I’ve since listened to the rest of Throwin’ Down, from which Dance Wit’ Me is taken and it’s a solid LP. Also listened to most of Bustin’ Out of L Seven this morning which was also good. 

The best track on Bustin' Out of L Seven was Fool on the Street I reckon. His voice sounds absolutely amazing on that. 

Also Give it to Me Baby is the best thing in a very specific type of up-tempo funk. If every time someone played Uptown Funk at a wedding they put that on instead the world would be a better place.

Also, this perennial WWYS classic. Only Rick could make a video this good. His tight bubble perm won best supporting actor in 1984.

On 05/08/2022 at 16:59, acidbearboy said:

Stumbled onto this recent-ish (7"/digital) re-release of Don Blackman's Just Can't Stay Away - what a jam!

I think I mentioned this when it came up before, but Don Blackman wrote this as a song for his wife's answer machine.

Everything on Melodies is amazing, but this is a recent one I can't get enough of. One from deep in Red Greg and Floating Points collection!

On 16/12/2022 at 10:48, Art Vandelay said:

This one is a bit special, a beautiful edit of Odyssey's Inside Out by Al Kent. It's a real quest to find a playable copy as there seemed to be a catastrophic pressing issue and they all sound completely trash. Worth persevering though!

This isn't a patch on the original IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, just a quick reminder that the RLLMUK favourite albums poll runs until 31 December - you can post your list here:

https://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/328831-rllmuks-favourite-albums-of-2022-list-thread-open-until-31-december

Every vote for a new or reissued 2022 album counts, even if you've just got one album you really liked this year! 

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of tracks that would definitely have been lodged in Larry Levan’s best playing out box, I’ve been listening to this over and over again lately, I can’t get enough of it:

• 3 weeks later...