rllmuk
acidbearboy

We Want Your Soul

We Want Your Soul is the new home for discussion of soul, funk, disco and jazz etc. A recent spur of activity in the Essential Soul and Funk Albums thread prompted me to start this, as we were no longer discussing essential albums. So may the posting of excellent songs new and old continue here.

I'll get the ball rolling with a nice little track from The Undisputed Truth entitled 'Sandman'.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...5DA43234DF522C7

I've always liked the tune, although I originally knew it from the 1997 remake/sample. I dug that out on vinyl today and recorded a couple of mixes. Heller & Farley did a nice 'Fire Island Groove Remix' that I may post up at some point but the original is probably the best of the bunch. Pitched down to -4 for your listening pleasure:

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...A3C9ED66043A4BF

There's a re-edit of Sandman I've been playing non stop for about 6 months. It's a bit better than the original, amazingly. I'm sticking on a mix I'm doing tomorrow so I'll let you know when I upload it.

Posted about this in the Essential Soul & Funk Albums thread, My favourite Paul Nice mix and every track a classic, many of them mentioned/recommended in that other thread

enjoy

Full Mix download here:Paul Nice - Soul on the Grill

Tracklisting,

1 Unknown Artist - A Message From Iris (0:58)

2 S.S.O. - Faded Lady (3:23)

3 Esther Phillips - Home Is Where The Hatred Is (2:53)

4 Raw Soul Express - The Way We Live (3:23)

5 Ernie Hines - Our Generation (2:28)

6 Love Unlimited Orchestra - Strange Games & Things (2:48)

7 Barry White - Just A Little Bit More (2:04)

8 L.A. Boppers - You Did It Good (1:05)

9 Al Green - I'm Glad You're Mine (1:34)

10 Main Ingredient - Summer Breeze (3:29)

11 Stylistics - People Make The World Go Round (3:40)

12 Ramsey Lewis - Sun Goddess (4:36)

13 Eddie Kendricks - If You Let me (2:31)

14 Dynasty - Adventures In The Land Of Music (2:10)

15 Meters, The - Just Kissed My Baby (2:01)

16 Pleasure - Bouncy Lady (1:37)

17 Sylvia Striplin - You Can't Turn Me Away (2:17)

18 Curtis Mayfield - Trippin' Out (3:29)

19 Fatback Band, The - Got To Learn How To Dance (1:11)

20 Roy Ayers - Life Is Just A Moment (1:19)

21 Kool & The Gang N.T. (3:17)

22 Chambers Brothers, The - Funky (1:40)

23 Brass Construction - What's On Your Mind (0:57)

24 Soul Searchers, The - Ashley's Roach Clip (3:50)

25 Faze-O - Riding High (2:57)

26 Average White Band - School Boy Crush (1:11)

27 Johnny Guitar Watson - Superman Lover (3:26)

28 Cymande - The Message (2:45)

29 Cat Stevens - Was Dog A Doughnut (4:34)

This is killing me at the moment:

Hare Rama Hare Krishna - Dum Maro Dum (as sampled on the new Method Man single)

Its not really funk or soul though! :P

There's a re-edit of Sandman I've been playing non stop for about 6 months. It's a bit better than the original, amazingly. I'm sticking on a mix I'm doing tomorrow so I'll let you know when I upload it.

Looking forward to that. The Undisputed Truth have been rocking my galaxy since I discovered them. That Norman Whitfield psychedelic soul is exactly the type of thing I'm digging right now. I reckon they're let down by their vocalists somewhat, but there's no doubting Whitflied's music. It's like the sky formed into a pugilist the size of Africa and launched a spear made of lightning right through my heart and soul whenever I hear that group in full swing.

Some smooth jams for the disco headz.

Al Hudson & The Soul Partners - Dance, Get Down (Feel the Groove)

70's male vocal disco with some firey horns.

Carol Williams - Can't Get Away (From Your Love)

Massive tune for Jazzanova and was remixed by Solid Groove a couple of years ago.

Skipworth & Turner - Thinking About Your Love

Unfathomably enourmous piano sounds, and some of the sweetest vocals you've ever heard.

6 Love Unlimited Orchestra - Strange Games & Things (2:48)

That'd be my pick from that nice looking bunch. LUSH. Whenever I listen to this song the world around me seems to morph into a 16-bit Sonic level. That track is audio LSD.

Anyone with knowledge care to recommend the best Love Unlimited Orchestra stuff? Barry White included or not.

Anyone with knowledge care to recommend the best Love Unlimited Orchestra stuff? Barry White included or not.

'I'm Gonna Love You Just a Little More Baby' by Barry White & LUO is the well known track with the amazing break at the begining, and my favourite.

Yeah, I know that one. It's been sampled on nuff tracks. The first time I heard that big sleazy riff would have been way back on 'Time To Get Ill' by Beastie Boys. I also have their other famous track for the hip-hoppers, 'Playing Your Game Baby,' as sampled on the 'I Gotcha Opin' remix. Anything else worth a check? I'm after something along the lines of 'Strange Games and Things.' That song fucks me up.

Oh yeah, I also have this great Love Unlimited song, minus Barry White, called 'Move Me No Mountain.' I'd love to upload it, but it's on another machine. Great strings, tight little guitar and LOVELY vocals. When is it not, though? It earns an extra star for a wee bit of flute solo-ing. I'm a sucker for that shit.

"Satin Soul" by The Love Unlimited Orchestra is a fine tune- Guru sampled it on the first Jazzmatazz album. "Theme From King Kong" is pretty damn cool, as well.

Such a sweet thread! I don't know what to post. I'll start with some funk, though- a tiny nugget of TOTAL FUNK. This is 'I Got Some" by Billy Gardner, as heard on Brainfreeze. It's a money tune; for added enjoyment when listening, try sticking it on when you're walking out of a lady's house, having got some. It sure was good!

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...F4A7B057EB88997

On the other side of the door, we've got a lady-soul tune here- Personal Woman by the oddly-spelled Rosztta Johnson. Too funky for a conventional name, Roszetta absolutely BELTS out this tune; after a slow-burn opening, Personal Woman explodes like a Motown-shaped mushroom cloud.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...55C960F1A4A7E38

And I'll finish off with some disco, just to raise everyone's spirits. This is BT Express, with 'Ride On BT'. Mad jazzy sax flares over some rolling grooves. I like to think of this as "Theme From K", the title music to a seventies cop show starring myself as a cop who doesn't cut corners, doesn't bend the rules, and doesn't get results.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...A8AF838033745B7

Stark Reality - Sunday's Song

I'm not entirely sure how you'd classify this (funky psychedelic jazz-fusion maybe) but it funks pretty hard in an off-kilter fashion and the solos are killer - the fuzzed out skyscraping guitar is particularly good.

I've been trying to get into some Stark Reality recently after buying their reissues on Stones Throw a while back. It's hard work in places but there's some slices of gold amongst the skwonk.

All great stuff posted so far,

particularly like that Stark Reality track, the drum solo/break is begging to be sampled (and has been many times no doubt)

Finally got my decks wired up to the PC and the recording software sorted , so much more coming this way

And I'll finish off with some disco, just to raise everyone's spirits. This is BT Express, with 'Ride On BT'. Mad jazzy sax flares over some rolling grooves. I like to think of this as "Theme From K", the title music to a seventies cop show starring myself as a cop who doesn't cut corners, doesn't bend the rules, and doesn't get results.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...A8AF838033745B7

Totally know what you mean ;) , here's the theme to my seventies cop show:

Keno-1 & the Hermit - heavy heavy

I thought I'd bring it back round with the pioneering genius of Charles Wright and the Watts 103rd St Rhythm Band. They were so, so much more than the group behind Express Yourself.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...8C016E06659F28F

Twenty Five Miles. Done the Charles Wright way.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...22AE92365A4740B

Everyday People. Ditto.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...EAF91FA22296830

High As Apple Pie - Slice I. Further proof that these guys couldn't help but piss and shit the thick, stanky southern fried soul that just never fails to to fucking do you in the brain

Enjoy.