Weekends Booting...

Droo

I picked upa couple of old board games for the house today (scrabble and monopoly, both the really, really old versions) for a couple of quid each. which was nice.

More tomorrow.

Quick question:

I see a lot of Vinyl when i'm booting, and I know nothing about valuable vinyl - is there anything I should have my eyes peeled for that might fetch a bit on the bay?

I see a lot of Vinyl when i'm booting, and I know nothing about valuable vinyl - is there anything I should have my eyes peeled for that might fetch a bit on the bay?

Yes.

There's probably about a million records that are worth something on the bay, but if you have no interest in them at all, how about leaving them for someone else who is, perhaps?

Very poor weather so had to be quick but not too bad, total spent £20.

Boxed SNES plus 6 games £10

Scramble 50p

Point Blank 1 & 2, FFVII £3

Snes controller & boxed Street Fighter2 £3.50

3 other SNES games £3.

Hardly saw any PS1 or PS2 games or consoles, all older stuff including an Atari plus a load of common games. Nothing to add to my collection but some interesting stuff nonetheless.

dscn1197jz6.th.jpg

NES Games: Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario Bros. 3, Crackout, Adventures of Lolo, Snake Rattle 'N' Roll, Dr. Mario, Star Wars - All boxed with instructions in excellent condition. 50p each.

Original GameBoy with Tetris - Boxed and in near mint condition. £3

Dino Crisis 2 - PSone Excellent condition and complete. £1

Not bad but not great this weekend.

Zelda Collectors Edition (GC) - the one with 4 games ojn - £1

Boxed Megadrive with 6 boxed games (nothing special) - £5

Original Gameboy with Tetris (loose), Waverace (loose), some 5 in 1 game (boxed) and empty boxes for Golf and 4 in 1 game and watch - £2

The empty Gameboy boxes are in really good nick - have instructions, inserts etc just no game. If you have these games loose you are welcome to the boxes for the cost of postage. PM me if ya want em.

RKID

Once again most of bargain buys this weekend were on the high street and not at the boot. However, did pick up:

XBOX: Half life 2 and PS2: Suffering 2 £7

GB: pokemon yellow complete £1

PSONE: boxed complete and a few games £5

Other:

Pile of cd's including NOW 13 50p - £1 each

Old lego set £2

Haggled over the biggest box of lego I've ever seen (2 foot cubed at least), all sets with about 15 or so books but no boxes. Initially the guy wanted £45. I offered £20 and he laughed. Went back later and asked if he'd changed his mind and he suggested £35, I offered £25 and he refused. I started walking off and he came running after me going £30. I said £25 or nothing and we went our seperate ways. I guess there was easily 4 times that value in there I don't know much about what lego is worth to be honest.

There's probably about a million records that are worth something on the bay, but if you have no interest in them at all, how about leaving them for someone else who is, perhaps?

Hummm ;-)

AutomaticOutlaw Apr 23 2006, 11:38 AM Post #34

Group: Members

Can anyone tell me if there's a games version of this:

It just needs to have a list of games for each system with a review score and estimated value. I end up passing on so much stuff at car boot sales purely because I have no idea if it's any good or worth anything.

I got busted.

Well, no, I didnt. My interest is primarily in whether something is good, over it's possible worth. I'm interested in old speccy games and the like, but have no idea where to start, and the value thing is more to do with knowing if I can sell them on to cover my costs, should it turn out that I don't like them. I don't really have enough money to throw at things without knowing what I'm buying.

Buying stuff and selling it on if you find you don't like it, somehow seems better than buying up stuff with the sole intention of selling it on when someone else might possibly enjoy it.

Perhaps I'm tripping.

Oh, and you'll notice that what I asked for was a collector's guide, not a filthy trader's one. There's an important distinction there. I rarely buy anything just to sell, particular stuff I don't have any personal interest in.

:P I probably shouldn't have been so ratty with Droo though. Bad morning, that.

Yes there are some, but 99% of boot sale vinyl offerings are worth less than nothing. Do some research on ebay and pick yourself up Record Collector 2004/2006 to get a basic orientation in uncommon and valuable vinyl.

Personally if you have little/no interest in the format I wouldn't bother as there is such a large amount of vinyl out there that an opportunistic approach will yield little gain IMO. It is also quite time consuming looking through boxes of vinyl so your time might be better suited to looking for things you are more knowledgeable about.

I've been collecting for around 6 months and i'm convinced my lack of knowledge has caused me to overlook potential rarities, but then I only go for my listening, not collecting purposes per se so it doesn't bother me all that much....

Yes there are some, but 99% of boot sale vinyl offerings are worth less than nothing. Do some research on ebay and pick yourself up Record Collector 2004/2006 to get a basic orientation in uncommon and valuable vinyl.

Personally if you have little/no interest in the format I wouldn't bother as there is such a large amount of vinyl out there that an opportunistic approach will yield little gain IMO. It is also quite time consuming looking through boxes of vinyl so your time might be better suited to looking for things you are more knowledgeable about.

I've been collecting for around 6 months and i'm convinced my lack of knowledge has caused me to overlook potential rarities, but then I only go for my listening, not collecting purposes per se so it doesn't bother me all that much....

At the end of the day interest should always be the drving force. If your'e interested in something then an understanding of what's worth what will come naturally.

I saw a guy almost spuff himself over a very old Scalextric set that the seller wanted £15 for. He bit their hand off. I'd be interested to know if he was a collector or a trader and how much it was worth.

At the end of the day interest should always be the drving force. If your'e interested in something then an understanding of what's worth what will come naturally.

I saw a guy almost spuff himself over a very old Scalextric set that the seller wanted £15 for. He bit their hand off. I'd be interested to know if he was a collector or a trader and how much it was worth.

From what i've heard its mostly the cars that are the most valuable part of a Scalextric set.

I got busted.

Well, no, I didnt.

Yeah you did, banged to rights ;-)

The trouble for me in my area is that a lot of people who buy phones or records/DVD's or Toys are moving into games therefore as far as I'm concerned fuck'em, I'll pick up those lego sets and nice items they pick up from now on.

I only buy what I know, which is video games…..although I have broken that rule twice already this year. Once for a box of original Star Wars toys that I bought for a fiver and once for about 35 fighting fantasy books, again a fiver, both of which are still sitting in my garage.

Yeah you did, banged to rights ;-)

The trouble for me in my area is that a lot of people who buy phones or records/DVD's or Toys are moving into games therefore as far as I'm concerned fuck'em, I'll pick up those lego sets and nice items they pick up from now on.

Spot on. the music collector I see often will quite happily pick up a console and games if they're cheap enough.

My interest in the value of items has always been about knowing how much I should pay for an item for myself. I don't want to spend a tenner on something if I could get it off eBay for three quid, and of course I'll pay over my usual amount for something I'm unlikely to get for less elsewhere.

It's very rare that I want to know the value purely for reasons of profit. I basically can't be arsed to eBay stuff all the time. I have better things to be doing with my time, y'know?

It tends to be the case that if I don't like something I've bought at the boot, I trade it on here or at Computer Exchange. I rarely stop someone else enjoying a game for cheap by snatching it from the car boot when I don't personally think I'll like it. I am sometimes wrong though, and it turns out I hate a game or record.

I only really buy games, vinyl and musical instruments.

Ah fucking hell, I sold a load of the most recent stuff a year or two ago.

I got X Factor and Virtual XI on vinyl but not Brave New World or Dance Of Death. I'm not after the singles just the Albums. I've even got the quadruple Best Of The Beast boxset and my Number Of The Beast signed by Bruce Dickinson and Adrian Smith. I'm missing some of the 'non-classics' like Fear Of The Dark.

Hummm ;-)

AutomaticOutlaw Apr 23 2006, 11:38 AM Post #34

Group: Members

Can anyone tell me if there's a games version of this:

It just needs to have a list of games for each system with a review score and estimated value. I end up passing on so much stuff at car boot sales purely because I have no idea if it's any good or worth anything.

PWNED! :)