Gin!

Thread Owner

I had some gin Wednesday night. It was Gordon's. The Queen drinks it apparently, so if it's good enough for royalty...

It was lovely: kind of like vodka, I guess, but with a lovely herbal scent.

Any other gin fans about? I'll probably be polishing off the same bottle tonight with a mate, so would anybody like to recommend a good cocktail? I was just mixing it with Tesco's own pineapple juice, which nullified the taste, while allowing me to drink half-glasses full of the stuff.

Gin's great. Forget that Gordon's tat though, what you want is a nice bottle of Tanqueray or Bombay Sapphire. Whack it in the freezer. In fact, you have inspired me to sing a song about Gin!

GIN!

I'd drink it from a tin

I put lime and lemon in

It puts me in a spin

Gin for the WIN!

Gin and tonic... with LIME!

Keep gin and highball glasses in the freezer with plenty of ice.

put ice in glasses (you can do this out the freezer :))

pour a bit of gin over the ice probably about an ice-cube depth, 2 fingers or so.

Fill up with Tonic water.

get a 1/4 or so chunk of lime and slightly squish it over the glass (not massively just enough to get a bit of a spray of lime onto the gin) then wipe lime juice around the rim of the glass and chuck the lime into the glass.

Drink.

experiment with the amount of gin... generally more is better :P

Bombay Sapphire is lovely. Only £11 in Gatwick too travel fans.

Cocktail-wise - gin martini is the way to go. Rinse your chilled glass with vermouth, shake the gin with some ice, lob in an olive and then find you get really drunk really quickly.

Gin's great. Forget that Gordon's tat though, what you want is a nice bottle of Tanqueray or Bombay Sapphire. Whack it in the freezer. In fact, you have inspired me to sing a song about Gin!

GIN!

I'd drink it from a tin

I put lime and lemon in

It puts me in a spin

Gin for the WIN!

This o/\o

Mind I much prefer gin and orange or gin collins over a gin and topic

Sloe Gin (its from the sloe berry apparently. Its a wild purple colour) is ace on its own or with bitter lemon. And I live in Plymouth where the Plymouth Gin Distillery is funnily enough. I'm sensing some sort of correlation with the name now.

Plymouth Gin deserves a shout.

Even better than Bombay in my opinion. It taste more fresh somehow.

And slimline tonic gives a tarter, more satisfying drink.

Yeah, I like Plymouth Gin a lot. I like Bombay Sapphire too, although that's poo-pooed by a lot of gin aficionados as being a modern, trendy pretender. Seemed fine to me.

A nice cold G&T on an evening is one of the best drinks going, I reckon. The little chinking of the ice cubes and the quiet fizz of the tonic is a lovely noise. I'll probably have one tonight, now that you've mentioned it.

I think you need one of those heavy, thick-bottomed glasses to really cap it off. There's something about the weight makes it feel better. I tend to use empty Nutella glasses, which is a bit cheap.

The herbal/floral notes of gin works quite well with grapefruit juice, try mixing 2oz gin with 1 1/2oz grapefruit juice and 1/2oz of something to sweeten like Cointreau and garnish it with a flamed lemon twist.

Sounds lovely. I've always been put off mixing gin/vodka with juice. Orange is a bit overpowering and is more for grannies and gangstas. Might try the grapefruit juice idea with tonic or soda or even lemonade.

As coincidence would have it, I'm drinking a Plymouth and tonic right now. :lol:

Plymouth for me too. Love gin. (Try juniper berries in a beef casserole)

Alabama cocktail is my favourite with gin, it's fresh and lovverly. Can't remember the recipe though. It's on the label of the plymouth gin bottle. :)

Bombay Sapphire really doesn't taste like gin. I love gin but can't stand the perfume, mixed pot pourri taste of bombay sapphire. Read some buff saying it was "gin for people that dont like gin". Couldn't agree more myself. tanqueray with tonic and lime is my choice. If you have loads of money and want a treat get your self a bottle of tanqueray 10. Its amazing, great in a martini (or with tonic ofc), shame its so expensive really.

Has anyone else tried Hendrick's gin? I remember it being very nice - I think it's 'infused' with cucumber. They recommend having a G&T with a slice of cucumber instead of lime. I had both in it and it was bloody lovely, give it a try.

Guest cbazzabowen

For any Gin fans try with pineapple and cranberry juice, topped with a lime. Lovely refreshing drink, goes down an absolute treat.

Will do!

I found myself buying another bottle of gin the other night, this time Greenall's.

They were charging £4.59 for a 4 pack of 440ml Scrumpy Jack in Somerfields*! Not a can of Strongbow in sight, either! What is it with supermarkets not stocking much cider these days? Anyway, because of the cost I ended up getting the gin for about a tenner.

*I can get a 4 pack of Strongbow for £2.07 in my local Tesco, not counting my staff discount.

You want Cider you should try some Merrydown Dry mate. Comes in a big bottle (Tesco sell it) and costs about £1.90. Organic, 7.5% and bloody lovely.

I could have swore I posted in this thread already.

My fave tipple is Hendricks with added slice of cucumber and tonic, make sure you leave it five or ten minutes for the flavour to settle.

I'm also surprised about Bombay, I really enjoy it.

Also I'm finding it strange that people look at gin in the same way they would a whisky, there really isn't enough makes of gin out there to have that much choice (unless I've missed something on my hunts).