rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
The Bag

The Wire

its a huge emptiness when you finish as I think it fleshes our the world it inhabits so well that you feel like you've had a brief look in, but feels like it will all still carry just without you. 

• Upvote 1

I think thats the ladting message at the end is just that, everything just keeps going on and on. Paraphrasing but  "The war on drugs is a joke because wars end" 

As an aside i wonder where the Police surveilance van (taken by the dock workers from S2) ended up :lol:

15 hours ago, Gotters said:

its a huge emptiness when you finish as I think it fleshes our the world it inhabits so well that you feel like you've had a brief look in, but feels like it will all still carry just without you. 

For that reason, 10 or so years later I still haven’t watched the last episode of Season 5.

Watched it 3 times and planning a 4th of the HD version soon. I love it, it's my favourite TV series ever, was totally hooked by the events in S1.

Where's Wallace!

On 20/10/2018 at 00:12, El Geet said:

For that reason, 10 or so years later I still haven’t watched the last episode of Season 5.

You really should, the series ending montage they like to do is particularly good/sad. 

• Upvote 3

Is this available in HD on any of the streaming services Netflix / Amazon etc? Still havn't seen it. 

A quick google suggests Amazon have HD, but £19.99 per season, not Prime! 

10 minutes ago, RickyDVT said:

Is this available in HD on any of the streaming services Netflix / Amazon etc? Still havn't seen it. 

It was available on Now TV (Entertainment package) earlier this year, and it might still be available on that service.

• Upvote 1

Ok then. 

When this first came out I watch the first 5 or 6 and got distracted due to kids or something. I just started again on the train home and about 8 episodes into s1. It’s bloody good. Does it keep it up throughout?  

7 hours ago, RickyDVT said:

Get the DVDs off ebay. You won't pay more than £40 I don't think - maybe less if you get each series individually as you go. From what I've seen I'm not convinced the HD transfer is an improvement anyway - the series has a very deliberate style that's not quite like anything else, and 4:3 is part of that. The way it is shot is informed by the budgetary limitations Simon and his crew were working under, but they end up informing it's semi-journalistic feel. Best to watch it as originally shot, unless you absolutely abhor not using the entirety of your television.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Liamness said:

Get the DVDs off ebay. You won't pay more than £40 I don't think - maybe less if you get each series individually as you go. From what I've seen I'm not convinced the HD transfer is an improvement anyway - the series has a very deliberate style that's not quite like anything else, and 4:3 is part of that. The way it is shot is informed by the budgetary limitations Simon and his crew were working under, but they end up informing it's semi-journalistic feel. Best to watch it as originally shot, unless you absolutely abhor not using the entirety of your television.

Yes, it's true that sticking to a 4:3 ratio at a time everything else was making the move to 16:9 was a deliberate stylistic choice for The Wire, but as a HD transfer in the 2010s mashed into a 16:9 ratio it's one of the best efforts I've seen. There are only a few scenes where the framing feels off, and if I didn't know it had been shot 4:3 I probably wouldn't have realised (yes, apart from random snippets on BBC2 back in the day, I've only seen the HD version).

In an ideal world you'd be able to watch it in HD (or even 4K!) in 4:3, but since the world is a flawed place I think you'd be silly to stick with disgusting 480p just to get the "right" aspect ratio. As with all filmed US drama, it looks lovely with the extra pixels.

10 hours ago, Liamness said:

Ok cheers, I will have a look. 

I'm thinking the NowTV streams may be more convenient for me, simply because we tend to watch series downstairs or when we go to bed, so I can pick up were I left off quite easily that way. 

I also spend half of my life telling the Mrs to stop watching Channel 4 SD when there is HD available, so to watch The Wire in SD when HD(ish) is available goes against everything I fight for! Ha! 

• Upvote 1

Get the blu-ray box. The transfers are superb and the reframing from 4:3 to 16:9 has been meticulously done, shot-for-shot and with David Simon involved in a large part of the process. There is a fantastic article by Simon about it here

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, Huz said:

In an ideal world you'd be able to watch it in HD (or even 4K!) in 4:3, but since the world is a flawed place I think you'd be silly to stick with disgusting 480p just to get the "right" aspect ratio. As with all filmed US drama, it looks lovely with the extra pixels.

Most DVDs have 576 vertical lines, I'd have to check if that's the case for the wire. Arguably they had more resolution than most needed at the time if they were using SCART or composite - it was really only plasma owners using component that would've benefited at the time. As such, I would say that most DVDs look acceptable, at least,

5 hours ago, Grobbelboy said:

Get the blu-ray box. The transfers are superb and the reframing from 4:3 to 16:9 has been meticulously done, shot-for-shot and with David Simon involved in a large part of the process. There is a fantastic article by Simon about it here

Yeah I've read that before, it's a pretty fascinating read. He seems to accept it as a valid alternative version of his creation, that would definitely get it in front of more eyeballs, but that is nonetheless compromised. It does seem much better than "HD" versions of some other shows which got totally butchered - and of course most of the value in The Wire is not really in its visual language, but in the dialogue and the plotting and the performance. I wish they'd included the episodes in the original format on the Blu-rays, though. I probably would've bought them by now if so.

3 hours ago, Liamness said:

Most DVDs have 576 vertical lines, I'd have to check if that's the case for the wire. Arguably they had more resolution than most needed at the time if they were using SCART or composite - it was really only plasma owners using component that would've benefited at the time. As such, I would say that most DVDs look acceptable, at least,

PAL DVDs have 576 interlaced lines, if you want to be boring about it, which perceptually loses around 30% of the vertical resolution compared to progressive video, taking you back near to 480p. Well, you started it.

No way do DVDs even approach anything that calls itself HD, even 720p. It depends what you call acceptable in 2018!

I’ve only got four episodes of season five to go now. :-(

I missed McNulty with how he was sidelined in season four, but that was better with the implausible plot he’s involved in now. So far it’s definitely the weakest of the seasons, but still heads and shoulders above most of TV shows.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Stejay said:

I’ve only got four episodes of season five to go now. :-(

I missed McNulty with how he was sidelined in season four, but that was better with the implausible plot he’s involved in now. So far it’s definitely the weakest of the seasons, but still heads and shoulders above most of TV shows.

When I rewatch The Wire, I’m going to stop at the end of season 4. Much better ending for the series, than what came after it, IMO.

a lot of people favour season 4 but I've always loved season 2 as the best of the lot.

there is just something about the storyline and hopelessness of some of the characters that is pitch perfect.

• Upvote 8

On 27/10/2018 at 12:57, Gotters said:

a lot of people favour season 4 but I've always loved season 2 as the best of the lot.

there is just something about the storyline and hopelessness of some of the characters that is pitch perfect.

I concur.