IGNORED

The Wire

The Bag

5 hours ago, Gotters said:

I think it was the show for a lot of people that started binge watching (on DVD originally) - I didn't get into in until 4 seasons were done and caught up when somebody at worked lent them to me. It really only caught on near the end with DVD viewers.

That means we haven't got pages of argument each week about the storylines, or which version of the theme song is the best (that's easy, it's the Tom Waites original) - and then once you've binged it in a fortnight you don't really want to go and spoil it by discussing details, as people are still finding it. 

I have a lot of love for Game of Thrones, Mad Men and others - but the only show that is in the same league as this is the Sopranos

Yeah I think you're right.

incidentally, I've never watched that either, so I'm gonna hit that when this is finished..

22 hours ago, Gotters said:

I think it was the show for a lot of people that started binge watching (on DVD originally) - I didn't get into in until 4 seasons were done and caught up when somebody at worked lent them to me. It really only caught on near the end with DVD viewers.

That means we haven't got pages of argument each week about the storylines, or which version of the theme song is the best (that's easy, it's the Tom Waites original) - and then once you've binged it in a fortnight you don't really want to go and spoil it by discussing details, as people are still finding it. 

I have a lot of love for Game of Thrones, Mad Men and others - but the only show that is in the same league as this is the Sopranos

I think Deadwood belongs in that list too, but not everyone agrees

38 minutes ago, Andy_Why said:

I think Deadwood belongs in that list too, but not everyone agrees

I think Deadwood is better TBH, more consistent, and it died before it got old, I never liked S4 and S5 of The Wire, thought it turned into everything it had avoided before

I'd put Goliath on there too, and Murder One

2 hours ago, linkster said:

I think Deadwood is better TBH, more consistent, and it died before it got old, I never liked S4 and S5 of The Wire, thought it turned into everything it had avoided before

I'd put Goliath on there too, and Murder One

I think series 4 has been great. On ep 8 atm. 

2 minutes ago, Dr Nookie said:

I think series 4 has been great. On ep 8 atm. 

Yeah I know people really love S4 especially, I just found the kids annoying and the change in characters to more cartoonish than the balance / ambiguity between who was good and bad from the earlier series didn't sit so well

I thought S5 jumped the shark at

the ridiculous storyline about McNutty inventing a murderer in order to get funding

...but from the point when...

Lester heard about it and, rather than putting a stop to it, got involved

I thought it was brilliant :D

38 minutes ago, morcs said:

I thought S5 jumped the shark at

Reveal hidden contents

the ridiculous storyline about McNutty inventing a murderer in order to get funding

...but from the point when...

Reveal hidden contents

Lester heard about it and, rather than putting a stop to it, got involved

I thought it was brilliant :D

S5 feels better on rewatch now, since we get reminded of Bunk's “The bigger the lie, the more they believe” line pretty much everyday now.  That plot line is no less plausible than Hamsterdam really and probably is a bit optimistic in thinking that people would care about homelessness because of a 'serial killer'.

• 2 months later...

Just watched this through again and i was noticing the filming and photography much more this time. At the end of s4ep10 iirc theres a shot from behind of Bunk looking at the vacant houses, its so bleak and forboding. It captures the menacing feeling of whats inside and the aura of the buildings just perfectly. 

• 1 year later...

I rewatched S01E02 this evening, an episode which means a lot more in the context of the last few months. It displays of the basic mechanics of racist police brutality when three officers go into a project and a child is blinded. Two of those officers are, in the context of the series as a whole, "good people". Daniels engineers the cover up. The tone is difficult to place - the TV falls with comedy timing, the gunshot is the punctuation of horror - until you realise the simple neutrality of it, and it is an early highlight of The Wire being documentary as drama.

And then we are left with Marla Daniels as the voice of moral conscience. "How do I get out of it?" asks Cedric. "You cannot lose if you do not play".

• 1 year later...

Wise fwom your gwaaaave!

So I've finally gotten around to this, not knowing anything about it besides "Best show ever" and "Police fighting drug cartels in Baltimore". I've nearly binged the lot in two weeks.

And of course it's been absolutely excellent. Except, I have to sadly say, for Season 5. This has been SHITE! The most boring new setting (the newspaper people) and the absolute shark polevault that is McNulty's "plan". It doesn't even feel like the same show.

Fortunately the other threads such as Omar's journey, and the stuff with Marlo, Chris Taylor and Snoop have continued to be excellent. But man, what a fall from grace Season 5 is. I only have two episodes to go, and it'll have to do something pretty amazing to land this 'plane.

Oh, and Aidan Gillen's accent sucks.

Haven't read the thread yet, but curious to see if other people felt similarly.

I re-watched them all last year, getting through the first four seasons pretty quickly but stalling after one or two episodes of S5.  And I've not gone back.

Before the re-watch, I'd have said S4 was the best, but S2 is incredible.  I did a double-take when I saw Master Chief is being played by Pablo Schreiber (aka Nick Sobotka).

I've always thought the second docks based series was the best, closely followed by the fourth in the school.

Both showed people stuck in hopeless situations, powerless to decisions made above them or around them, and the impacts that those situations have for those living them on a daily basis.

It was bleak but compelling in how it was portrayed. 

When Season 2 started I was like "Who are these chumps? Surely it's not going to focus on these dock workers all season?" and obviously Ziggy is a tool, but by the end I was gripped.

The newsroom plotline of Season 5 is a total snooze-fest. Been close to Fast forwarding a few times.

I think Season 3 (Hamsterdam) and 4 (the school kids) were the most gripping overall. I just watched episode after episode after episode...

Me and the wife just watched through the whole 5 seasons for the first time in the past few weeks.  Amazing show, for me season 2 was probably the highlight but loved all of 1-4, and like others have said, season 5 was a bit of a low point, it just didn't feel as believable as the rest of it.  Didn't mind the media focus, thought that was good actually and made sense to have a season focusing on it in the ways the other seasons focused on other issues or subjects, but the whole McNulty plotline really disappointed.

Might give the Shield a go next after reading impressions in this thread!

11 minutes ago, criminal said:

Might give the Shield a go next after reading impressions in this thread!

The Shield is fantastic. I did a complete re-watch last year and it still holds up.

As for The Wire, yes season 5 is the weakest of them, sadly. Seasons 2 and 4 are indeed the best for me. That final scene in the penultimate episode of season 4,  "You got my back, huh?", that always stuck with me. 

3 hours ago, Nick R said:

Season 5 is definitely the weakest, but it's still far, far above "shite". :hmm:

And the final episode is excellent. :wub:

Yeah was gonna say its worth watching for the last episode and it's really not that bad.

• 2 weeks later...

My favourite part of season 5 is...

Spoiler

When McNulty and Greggs visit the FBI in Quanitco, and the profilers' analysis of the supposed serial killer describe McNulty exactly.

I mean, that's possibly one of the greatest and most darkly humorous scenes in the whole series, despite being in by far the worst season.

Just about to finish The Sopranos and will be needing a new show to watch. I’ve heard good things about The Wire but curious if anyone can explain what makes it so good and is it a worthy follow up to The Sopranos? My other choice is another rewatch of Breaking Bad. TIA