rllmuk
The Bag

The Wire

I think it was the show for a lot of people that started binge watching (on DVD originally) - I didn't get into in until 4 seasons were done and caught up when somebody at work lent them to me. It really only caught on near the end with DVD viewers.

That means we haven't got pages of argument each week about the storylines, or which version of the theme song is the best (that's easy, it's the Tom Waites original) - and then once you've binged it in a fortnight you don't really want to go and spoil it by discussing details, as people are still finding it. 

I have a lot of love for Game of Thrones, Mad Men and others - but the only show that is in the same league as this is the Sopranos

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Gotters said:

I think it was the show for a lot of people that started binge watching (on DVD originally) - I didn't get into in until 4 seasons were done and caught up when somebody at worked lent them to me. It really only caught on near the end with DVD viewers.

That means we haven't got pages of argument each week about the storylines, or which version of the theme song is the best (that's easy, it's the Tom Waites original) - and then once you've binged it in a fortnight you don't really want to go and spoil it by discussing details, as people are still finding it. 

I have a lot of love for Game of Thrones, Mad Men and others - but the only show that is in the same league as this is the Sopranos

Yeah I think you're right.

incidentally, I've never watched that either, so I'm gonna hit that when this is finished..

11 hours ago, Miner Willy said:

I think you should probably manage expectations with the assumption that nothing else will ever be as good as The Wire.

Say it isn’t so. 

22 hours ago, Gotters said:

I think it was the show for a lot of people that started binge watching (on DVD originally) - I didn't get into in until 4 seasons were done and caught up when somebody at worked lent them to me. It really only caught on near the end with DVD viewers.

I think Deadwood belongs in that list too, but not everyone agrees

• Upvote 4

38 minutes ago, Andy_Why said:

I think Deadwood belongs in that list too, but not everyone agrees

I think Deadwood is better TBH, more consistent, and it died before it got old, I never liked S4 and S5 of The Wire, thought it turned into everything it had avoided before

I'd put Goliath on there too, and Murder One

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, linkster said:

I think Deadwood is better TBH, more consistent, and it died before it got old, I never liked S4 and S5 of The Wire, thought it turned into everything it had avoided before

I'd put Goliath on there too, and Murder One

I think series 4 has been great. On ep 8 atm. 

2 minutes ago, Dr Nookie said:

I think series 4 has been great. On ep 8 atm. 

Yeah I know people really love S4 especially, I just found the kids annoying and the change in characters to more cartoonish than the balance / ambiguity between who was good and bad from the earlier series didn't sit so well

I thought S5 jumped the shark at

the ridiculous storyline about McNutty inventing a murderer in order to get funding

...but from the point when...

Lester heard about it and, rather than putting a stop to it, got involved

I thought it was brilliant :D

38 minutes ago, morcs said:

I thought S5 jumped the shark at

Reveal hidden contents

the ridiculous storyline about McNutty inventing a murderer in order to get funding

...but from the point when...

Reveal hidden contents

Lester heard about it and, rather than putting a stop to it, got involved

I thought it was brilliant :D

S5 feels better on rewatch now, since we get reminded of Bunk's “The bigger the lie, the more they believe” line pretty much everyday now.  That plot line is no less plausible than Hamsterdam really and probably is a bit optimistic in thinking that people would care about homelessness because of a 'serial killer'.

Just watched this through again and i was noticing the filming and photography much more this time. At the end of s4ep10 iirc theres a shot from behind of Bunk looking at the vacant houses, its so bleak and forboding. It captures the menacing feeling of whats inside and the aura of the buildings just perfectly.