The Bag

The Wire

..There are so many bits and bobs that repay careful viewing. ...

There are so many of them. I quite like at the end of Season 3 when Omar is throwing his shotgun in the water after killing you-know-who you can see an old tattered "Vote Frank Sobotka" poster on the wall - guaranteed lump in my throat.

End of season 4 -

You see the bad guy from Season 2 being the supplier of everyone in Season 4

Yeah, it seems the Greeks only stayed away long enough for everyone to forget their involvement. Judging by the way Marlo is sniffing him out, I imagine we'll be seeing a lot more of the cap-wearing gent in series 5.

How did s4 end?

my 'version' ended with 'The Mayor' running into his office.

and it seemed disjointed.

Was there more?

Yeah, 20 minutes more. Seems you downloaded the 60 minute version, when the finale is 80 minutes long. Have another look!

How did s4 end?

my 'version' ended with 'The Mayor' running into his office.

and it seemed disjointed.

Was there more?

Same here. Really annoying that I was looking forward to seeing the end of it last night, only to realise at 10.30ish that I was not going to be able to download the complete version in time to watch it before I go to bed.

I will get home this evening and hasve just 20 minutes to go. Chuff!

I will return tomorrow and post my thoughts on what has been a truly excellent series (just like all the others).

Fans of Carcetti's run against Mayor Royce would have enjoyed the Oscar nominated doc "Street Fight" that aired on BBC4's Storyville strand tonight (dunno if any repeats are scheduled). It showed a dirty mayoral race in Newark, New Jersey. It was just like S4 of The Wire (it even showed the incumbent major demolishing some high-rise projects, to be replaced with middle class homes...), only he made Royce look like a pussy.

When he wasn't slandering his black rival (saying he was Jewish, white, gay, a member of the KKK or backed by right-wing extremists) he was getting cops to rough up the filmmaker, getting businesses who displayed signs or hosted events for his rival closed down permanently for phony violations of the city code, getting the cops to remove campaign posters from the streets. There were mysterious power outages, break-ins, threats, prostitution scandals. The mayor's chief of staff was in jail after bags of bribe money were found under his floorboards.

The issues were just like those in Carcetti's campaign. The challenger even cited Baltimore's city government as the model he wanted to follow. His first task was to get police out of bureaucratic jobs (like a Major Crimes Unit, maybe?) and onto the street (ripping and running the street dealers, maybe?).

The end of season 4 depressed me. You had all the kids who could actually go somewhere or were looking out for someone all end up on the street whilst the biggest prick of them all turned out all right.

One thing I didn't get though is how Bunny could take in Wee Bay's kid but Sgt. Carver couldn't foster the snitch kid because he had to be assesed first. Oh, and Wee Bay's wife was such a foul bitch. The assumption is that the Barxdales gave her plenty of money but she squandered it all, right? So she forced her kid into pushing on the street.

The end of season 4 depressed me. You had all the kids who could actually go somewhere or were looking out for someone all end up on the street whilst the biggest prick of them all turned out all right.

One thing I didn't get though is how Bunny could take in Wee Bay's kid but Sgt. Carver couldn't foster the snitch kid because he had to be assesed first. Oh, and Wee Bay's wife was such a foul bitch. The assumption is that the Barxdales gave her plenty of money but she squandered it all, right? So she forced her kid into pushing on the street.

Yeah, bitch bought too many Xbox 360s. Might have been all that fish food, though.

I've just watched the very first episode, and people were right when they they said it's a little confusing to start with. I've got a good handle on who everyone is already, but I can't recall a single character's name! :)

Still, I like what I've seen.

Right. I caught the final 20 minutes.

WTF, a fucking Montage????

Yes, even rocky had a montage... but thats went you want to show the progression from beginner to pro.

Montages used only in the last episode and in the 10minute coda screams:

Wrap%20It%20Up.gif

But we are nicelt tee'd for S5. Roll on september.

Erm, every series of The Wire so far has used a montage to finish with. Where've you been?

It's one of the few times they break the 4th wall and concede to the audience, but since it's done in such a fantastically shot and scored manner, I really don't mind.

No, i think you are wrong.

S2 had a montage yes, but the rest?

Nah, just checked.

Series 1 has a short jazz-track montage, 2 has a folk rock one, 3 has a soulful acoustic number, and 4 has Paul Weller.

So there you go.

Has anyone read any of The Wire writers' books? George Pelecanos/ Richard Price / Dennis Lehane? Any recommendations?

I haven't, no. Really want to check out Pelecanos' work, mind.

Slim Charles is an interesting one. He's been in 'The Backyard Band' since the early 90s performing 'go-go' music, a subgenre of funk. Hugely popular - both him and the music. Oh, and he's been shot on stage twice, apparently. Tough love.

Has anyone got MP3s of the S3 and S4 themes? I have the first two, but I can't find these anywhere.

You might have trouble. S3 is the Neville Borthers, and isn't available on any of their CDs. S4 was recorded for the show by members of The Baltimore City Boy's Choir.

In keeping with the theme of the season, we sought out voices of middle-school-aged students from Baltimore. Rather than seek out a particular recording artist this year, we tried for the essential voice of our adolescent characters.

Beyond the musical choice, I think it works emotionally.

Specifically, our theme was arranged and produced by Doreen Vail, Maurette Brown-Clark and J.B. Wilkins. The young voices featured are those of Ivan Ashford, Markel Steele, Cameron Brown, Tariq Al-Sabir and Avery Bargasse. The musicians are Ronald Lindsey and Thomas Crosson. Mike Potter engineered the session.

All of the boys are from Baltimore and Tony Small, who directs a boys choir locally, found them for us.

Probably best to rip it from the TV broadcasts.

*edit*

Aha! A google reveals wikipedia has an .ogg file for S3

wikipedia

*edit2* but it's only a 30s sample, taken from the TV show. ;)

*edit3* The internet lied:

it's on The Neville Brothers Walkin' in the Shadow of Life [special Edition]

It's the only time that the music in the show doesn't come from a source in the environment. My favourite was when Hauk and Carver were driving along to the theme from Shaft!

There was that episode in season 2/3 where Prez puts the radio on and it starts playing Walk The Line, then there's a montage of the team setting up bugs etc. and filling up the board with information whilst the song plays. Then Prezbo switches the radio off and goes "Fucking A".

There was that episode in season 2/3 where Prez puts the radio on and it starts playing Walk The Line, then there's a montage of the team setting up bugs etc. and filling up the board with information whilst the song plays. Then Prezbo switches the radio off and goes "Fucking A".

They're just a bit good at it.

Watching the end of series 2 again perfectly reminded me of this. The montage reaches a climax as the rapid-fire imagery of Baltimore's rusting docks synchronises with the drum beats, and then as the song fades out we meet a teary-eyed Nick Sobotka head-on as he clings to the mesh fence, realising the mistakes he's made and, more importantly, how the working class livelihood he holds so dear is dying on its knees.

Beautiful stuff.

I've reached the end of S4. Heartbreaking stuff.

The real Bubs also had a death on his conscience, when he mixed up a hotshot in a similar way, to kill a man who'd been stealing his dope. It found the intended victim, and Bubs regretted it until his dying day.

A few moments to remember:

McNulty and Daniels reprising their conversation about quick, clean street rips

Seeing weakness in Chris when he murders Michael's father

Bunk forcing Omar to give his word that he'd stop dropping bodies.

Bubs giving "undercover" Prez a startled look and a lttle wave.

"You want it to be one way, but it's the other"

MacNulty's War on Terror binders

I knew Carcetti would sell us out when the chips were down, but it was hugely frustrating when it came.

Best show on telly. No doubt.

Wee Bay's permission, I guess. You can let your own kid stay at someone's house, without the Social Services needing to be involved.

I can't think of Bunny the same way since I realised he's the guy in the horrible sex scene in "Storytelling".

So, S5.

How are they going to get Marlo? He's changed up on them. They can't get up on his phones. He murders anyone who looks like flipping.