The Bag

The Wire

Guest retrend

New episodes pretty awesome, schools crazy, Fuck Prezbo lol :D Wonder if were gonna see him turn into a total hardass this year, Ive got a funny feeling its not gonna play out like Dangerous Minds :D

Astonishingly good episode. Did Pres mess up Bodie in the first season, or was it someone else? I keep expecting the kids to tell him about their pussy new teacher only for him to tell them to be wary of him.

Bunny AND Omar back in effect. I love this show.

I've finally caught an episode of Homicide: Life on the Street. I'm afraid to say it was quite a disappointment. The landscape was recognisably the same as the Wire and the Homicide book: the homicide board with black and red names for solved and unsolved cases was all present and correct, for instance. But some of the drama was horribly network TV, and didn't seem rooted in reality. It really showed up how much the Wire has moved the genre on.

I've borrowed The Corner book from my neighbour, and I still have the miniseries on my hard drive to watch when I've finished it, so I'll report back when I do.

Homicide was fantastic. The first season was almost exactly like the book - aside from a few name changes and compound characters, just about everything you see on screen came from the book. Its only when the third season rolls around and they run out of mileage from the book that they come up with original material, and even then it's a superb series. At the time, even though NYPD Blue was getting all the praise Homicide was running rings around it. It went downhill a bit in the later seasons when they replaced most of the original cast but it wasn't particularly bad. If it seemed 'horribly network TV', it's probably because Homicide was hugely influential, and just about every cop show running today is in debt to it, just as most cop shows from the late eighties and nineties owed were indebted to Hill Street Blues.

Anyway, the new Wire is great, as per usual. The scene with Omar towards the end was unbearably tense. And Marlo, Chris and Snoop are terrifying - they make me miss Barksdale and his army of boobs.

I can't face spilling money on the other box sets. I just don't have enough time/interest in seeing the story progress, and the dock storyline of season 2 seems like a chore.

Wow your going to miss some great telly Frank Sobotka, Ziggy and his goose.

It sounds boring who wants to watch dockworkers? But drama hasn’t gripped me like this for ages.

It’s intricate and sometimes very slow but then you appreciate the characters more.

But if you feel it's not really your thing then, oh well at least you gave it a try.

Since the foundation of rllmuk, I don't think DiscoStu has ever liked anything that I do. It's like there's some weird Opinion Exclusion Principle in effect, it's really quite startling. And I love The Wire, so it was bound to be a wasted purchase for him, I'm afraid to say.

Sounds like I just caught a duff episode of Homicide then: I really expected great things. I'll keep scanning the schedules for another go.

The book of The Corner seems like a doozy so far.

The TV critic from the SF Gate newspaper is blogging a detailed analysis of each episode of this season of The Wire. He's spotted a couple of nice details I missed.

Wow. Including that Macnulty's new squeeze is Beadie Russell, the port police from S2.

Good link, cheers, but how could you miss who McNulty's wholesome new skirt was? Shame!

Since the foundation of rllmuk, I don't think DiscoStu has ever liked anything that I do. It's like there's some weird Opinion Exclusion Principle in effect, it's really quite startling. And I love The Wire, so it was bound to be a wasted purchase for him, I'm afraid to say.

Don't worry a lot of people get that.

I went to a lot of trouble to explain that I do actually like The Wire. It's just a bit dry, and a bit of an effort.

Ep 4.4

"You want it to be one way, But it's the other." Marlo is so cold.

Prop Joe is pretty slick, shaking Marlo's hands and then telling Omar about the card game.

So they think giving the case to Kima will slow things down? I think they should have chosen a different rookie.

Ep 4.4

"You want it to be one way, But it's the other." Marlo is so cold.

Prop Joe is pretty slick, shaking Marlo's hands and then telling Omar about the card game.

So they think giving the case to Kima will slow things down? I think they should have chosen a different rookie.

The homicide initiations are great too.

"A Mr Lyon?"

Crying shame that this thread is languishing, so in light of current Wire releases I thought I'd speak my mind. In case you hadn't noticed, the whole of Series 4 has been leaked to the usual suspects in pre-release screener form. The quality is as good as normal efforts, with the only blemish being a serial code in the top-right. Bearable, to say the least.

Keeping things ambiguous, by the end of 4, the stage is perfectly set for the final flourish of Series 5 - a big bow-out, or so I hope. The Wire is never one to disappoint, mind. By the end of the 80 minute episode 13 (evidently extended, don't be caught out by rips that only show an hour) a few things have changed. Baltimore being what it is, of course, many things haven't. And you'd best believe there have been costs, especially human ones, along the way.

In short, same as it ever was. The best TV around.

I cant find 10 anywhere ;)

10's a tricky one because many clowns are advertising 11 as 10, and it doesn't help matters that the unnatural transition from 9 to 11 is pretty hard to detect. Leaps of logic are made.

The real 10 starts with some finger-breaking fun.

Crying shame that this thread is languishing

It is. I've been at uniiversity so I haven't seen any episodes since 2, but I should be getting them on disc tomorrow. Hooray!

Anyone who's finished S4 (I'm still part-way through) may want to look out for these wire specials, broadcast pre-season on HBO and available in the usual places.

These are the two specials HBO aired just before the fourth season started. They're both about half an hour long and examine the show in reasonable depth through interviews with the cast and crew, as well as various public figures in Baltimore.

The Wire - It's All Connected.mpg

The Wire - The Game Is Real.mpg

However, be warned that there are SERIOUS SPOILERS in both as a result of their using footage (and in a few cases quite crucial footage) from season four. Therefore I would advise you to watch them after you've finished the season. If you still haven't got that far, or if you are having trouble tracking down the files, you might want to check out my full fourth season torrent also on this site.

Does anyone know when the R2 release of Season 3 is coming around? All the info I can find on the net is that the U.S got it in August, and I remember reading we would in October but now can't find a shred of info/anyone stocking it.

Most frustrating.

I've just blown through the first three seasons of this in a few days after all your praise and it is amazing. Although I think I hate every other TV show I used to like for not being as good. I don't think I can add much else except: was that Burrell in the gay bar that Brother's bodyguard went to? The fucking gay!

Also, what happened with the season 4 torrents? I happily downloaded HR releases of the first 4 episodes from the BAMHD group but anything after that just seems to be rips from some review DVD. Did they just stop bothering after the DVD rips came out or something?

I've just blown through the first three seasons of this in a few days after all your praise and it is amazing. Although I think I hate every other TV show I used to like for not being as good. I don't think I can add much else except: was that Burrell in the gay bar that Brother's bodyguard went to? The fucking gay!

Also, what happened with the season 4 torrents? I happily downloaded HR releases of the first 4 episodes from the BAMHD group but anything after that just seems to be rips from some review DVD. Did they just stop bothering after the DVD rips came out or something?

Season 4 episode 7 is on tonight so there may be a higher quality rip available tomorrow

Season 4 seems to have woefully ignored by the groups that release TV shows for some reason.

There are decent rips of 5,6 & 7 (not as good as the 700Mb BamHD ones though) on Demonoid and BitmeTV if you have an account there.

Episode 8 is on OnDemand tonight. It was off for a week last week and I have been having withdrawl symptoms :)

Oh shit, yeah. That was amazing though, the way they just threw that out there for no particular reason and with no follow-up. I guess he just loves the black cock.

Also, it's really wierd how everyone seems to drink tea with no milk and the bag still in the cup. Fucking Americans.

I laughed lots when I spotted him. It was the two second freeze frame way they did it.

Finished season three, and now downloading season four. The R1 DVDs seem to have more commentaries than earlier (there's at least four or five over the course of the twelve episodes; and the two snippets I've listened too don't fall into the luvvie style of commentary that the comm. to the end of Season 2 epitomized.

Oh shit, yeah. That was amazing though, the way they just threw that out there for no particular reason and with no follow-up. I guess he just loves the black cock.

Also, it's really wierd how everyone seems to drink tea with no milk and the bag still in the cup. Fucking Americans.

The thing I love about the Wire is that it might be a throw away moment (and a brilliant, hilarious one), or it might prove to be important to the story later on.

There are so many bits and bobs that repay careful viewing. Like in one series there was this decent woman cleaning her steps on the stoop outside her house, on a street with a drug corner further down the road. The corner boys started slinging dope nearer and nearer to where she lived as the season progressed, until eventually you see in the background that she's sold up and moved.