The Bag

The Wire

I'm about to watch the finale of Series 2, and Series 3 is in the pipeline, so to speak.

It really is a wonderful show, and yes, I'd put it above The Sopranos personally.

You've made the right choice, Stu. Although Phoenix is amazing as well, so buy it soon.

I finished off the third season last night. Fuck me. How do they manage to keep it so damn good? The Sopranos dipped a bit after the first two, but I don't think The Wire does. Infact, I think this was my favourite series to date.

McNulty being a massive dick, Aiden Gillen, Hamsterdam, the deaths of Johnny Weeks and Bell, Avon and Bell talking about 'the old days' in the penultimate episode, Rawls being a gay, the sexy lesbian sex scene with Kima, et al.

In conclusion: best TV ever.

Has anyone put the first episode of the fourth series online yet? I haven't seen it anywhere yet, which is slightly odd.

There is one up now - a 350Mb version but it isn't from a HD source.

It's just finished downloading and looks very good actually.

It'll be great to have the guys back!

^^

The Wire is in 4:3.

I don't get it, though. They must film it on widescreen-capable cameras, surely? Is it a stylistic choice? Perhaps to make it seem more realistic and less like a film?

I don't think that this episode was actually broadcast in HD - so a rip of that might be some time off :D

I think it was, as I recorded it from the HD channel. However, I DVR'd it till I finish watching Season 3, so can't confirm for another week or so. :D

they are using it to reboard up the derelict houses they are dumping the bodies in (are they the houses from the 3rd series that you see being boarded up by any chance?).

Thing I love about this show is that the continuity from the very first episode to the latest is absolutely spot on - it feels like one long story, as though the writer knew where he wanted to be in this season when he started writing the pilot way back when. I know the main writer used to be a teacher (after being police) so I expect he did have the long story arc in mind when he started out, but getting from A to B has been one hell of a journey.

I really hope we see more of those Greek/Russian/whatever they were mafia guys from season 2 showing up at some point or other - the old man, and the guy who pops up in most of my favourite shows (he's head of Warner in Entourage) both need sorting out :D

they are using it to reboard up the derelict houses they are dumping the bodies in...

:D

Aye, that is all it has been used for so far.

What I meant was that it is a good bet that someone is going to be on the wrong end of the thing.

I really hope we see more of those Greek/Russian/whatever they were mafia guys from season 2 ...

I don't think we will, there is no reason for them to come back to Baltimore. They have simply moved on to a new city/country.

I shall not be weak.

I shall wait until I have them all downloaded before I start to watch.

Unfortunately that means avoiding this thred for the next three months.

Arse biscuits.

I shall not be weak.

Guest retrend

Oh how awesome about series 5, I thought they were finishing it up with this series.

The kids are apparently a main focus in this series, glad to see that they appear to have been done in The Wires' usual 'every character is fucking great' style.

The intro with the nail gun was absolutely classic.

This is really upsetting, its gonna pain me so much watching this week by week :)

Oh how awesome about series 5, I thought they were finishing it up with this series.

The producers have said for a while that ideally they would like to end it after 5.

They (like everyone else) probably were expecting to be cancelled after this season.

(are they the houses from the 3rd series that you see being boarded up by any chance?).

Nah Hamersterdam was smashed down at the very end of series 3.

And excellent news about series 5, HBO had said that the new story arc should be penned over 2 series, so no excuse for it not to be great.

Anyone know what they were putting ont he bodies? Quicklime perhaps to decompose them?

Yeah - it takes a while to get into the first two seasons. Especially the second; I nearly gave up after the first episode. The third season progresses much faster.

You won't truely appreciate it until the last episode of first season.

You can't watch it and think of it the way you do with other shows.

The Wire is like a novel: each episode a chapter.

Some things in early chapters don't pay off until near the end.

Got episode 2 of season 4 to watch tonight <_<

Spoilers for Season 4, episode 2

Quite a slow episode this one, nice to have some Johnny Cash back.

School starts next episode, you can sense the dread in the teachers, they had a meeting that felt like battle tactics. :o

Nice to see some of the old faces back -

WeeBay!!

Bubbles, Cutty, Major Valcheck, Sen. Clay Davis with his best "SShhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttt" yet.

And from the preview we'll find out

where's Omar at!

Right then...

I finished Season 1.

And I still don't know. This post will probably be as slow as the early episodes of this:

It' kinda deep, it's slow and it's long, some characters are fantastic, some are cliched. It is like a novel and whilst seeing that approach to TV is interesting, you have to ask if as a novel this story is significant and yes I suppose it is, so I don't really know where I'm going with that other than I'm not used to it and it's hard to adjust, despite the fact that this is the kind of show I always said should be made and I have to add I had no problem following it, I thought it was pitched just right.

One thing I noted was that it feels very standard in terms of direction etc. Unlike for example the slick, artful style of The Sopranos. The Wire feels very functional in comparison and I'm not sure I could stomach a repeated viewing of it. But then I wouldn't reread a novel that often either.

So yes, in many ways it's brilliant. However I do think there are problems, some of the characters are poor and in aiming for realism it often ends up on the dull side. Kima is horrendous. Her character, her delivery, her dialogue. McnUlty is a cliche, his chief even more so and the humour often falls flat.

The rest of the characters, particularly Stringer and the boys in the pit, are incredibly well observed. The final few episodes were just rivetting.

So I suppose, yes, I agree it's one of the best shows on TV but it's just weird dealing with a TV show the way you would a novel. There's no instant gratification and even the violence and resolutions are subdued.

I can't face spilling money on the other box sets. I just don't have enough time/interest in seeing the story progress, and the dock storyline of season 2 seems like a chore. Maybe the point with cop shows is that they skip all this stuff because it is a chore? Or maybe it's not the pace and detail that bug me but the fact that it's all rather clinical with very little in the way of philosophizing or subjective character development, but then maybe that's unrealistic and just manipulative of most TV shows.

I can't praise the show too much, because a lot of the time I was just enduring it for the promise of a good payoff, but on the flip side it's incredibly well thought out, like nothing else on TV, with some of the best characters ever created in a TV show. So that's where I am with The Wire, ie. nowhere. It's stumped me. It's brilliant, I can see that and yet at the same time something about the production just doesn't appeal to me.

Guest retrend

You'll grow to love/hate McNulty as the show progresses man, and while the chief initially seems like a total cliche, he grows as a character in later series as well. Its just that the show doesnt focus on them that much so you get a very 2D image of them at first.

Id advise you to carry on, it just gets better and better man, I sometimes felt a bit like it was a chore through the first season as well.