rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Stroker Ace

A Lumines Thread

Thanks, I found that simply slowing down helped a lot as I just got level 10 and 12000 points doing more or less what I had been doing, but at a less hectic pace.

14 minutes ago, MagicalDrop said:

wipe a load of blocks out when a special flashing block appears.

Without fail, I plant these so that they activate the wrong colour! 

Try to land the special block just after the sweep passes then you have a whole sweep's worth of time to quickly drop more blocks, useful for joining up separate piles if you have them or adding to your multiplier.

Third go and finally completed Basic in1hr10 with a score of 517k. Managed one loop on endless and am at 672k, had to stop as my shoulders are ceasing up with the tension.

Actually find it a lot nicer on the Switch than the other platforms I've played it on as with the separate buttons there is no risk of accidentally pushing down as you move the blocks left or right.

• Upvote 1

Finally beat my sticking point and now upto l82 with a decent score of 300k. 

I hate the brown spotted skin. Always have always will. 

I bought it last night and, being exhausted, obviously thought it was a good idea to have just one go to see what it was like. 211k later and I had to stop. Started off rusty but I seem to remember most of how I used to play. Started the saved state game today and I forgot what was going on and tried using the analogue stick fruitlessly as my first blocks fell on a fast stage and just fucked it completely so quit. Time to play a proper game. Once my Switch has charged up a bit. I can imagine hitting level 100 is quite challenging.

Something like 254k second go around. I am rusty but it's a real nostalgia nuzzle in all the right places.

Mainly in my ears.

75k is about my limit at the moment, I’m just flapping but sure I was ok at it back in the day - maybe I’m remembering it wrong but didn’t you have avatar based power ups to help!?

3 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

75k is about my limit at the moment, I’m just flapping but sure I was ok at it back in the day - maybe I’m remembering it wrong but didn’t you have avatar based power ups to help!?

Yes the Vita version had those power ups.

I don't think I ever used the powerups in Electronic Symphony, I didn't see the point in them and they offered nothing to the game. Lumines works best in its purest form. 

I’m genuinely confused that I’m playing lumines again and that I’ve lost about three hours to it since buying it at 10pm last night.

because I struggle to see the puzzle most of the time; and then there’s always some pain of a skin that just turns the speed up 100%.

11 hours ago, MagicalDrop said:

Yes the Vita version had those power ups.

10 hours ago, bradigor said:

I don't think I ever used the powerups in Electronic Symphony, I didn't see the point in them and they offered nothing to the game. Lumines works best in its purest form. 

8 hours ago, Darwock said:

Worse than that, they broke the gameplay.

Ahh cheers, prolly the one I played most recently then!

God I love this game, such a time killer and I’m getting better - 92k now and my last run while poor score was so much better - I don’t recommend switching from handheld to docked as I use buttons to rotate handheld and triggers on pro, messed up a very food run :( 

I saw a vid on youtube and the chap was calling this loo-min-ez

In my own mind I've never even thought it was anything other than loo-mins

Now looking at it could it be loo-mines

Is there consensus on this troubling matter ?

I’m over 100k every game now and it’s coming back to me, I’ve put lots of hours in and it’s just sublime plying it again - such a perfect game for the Switch as it was on the PSP at launch!

Just need Meteos on Switch now to relive the puzzle game DS vs PSP war!

3 hours ago, merrychan said:

Lumines is still Awesome, will be very happy when I can use the stick to control in switch portable mode, makes a racket clicking those dpad buttons.

You’re playing Lumines without headphones? Heathen.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, merrychan said:

will be very happy when I can use the stick to control in switch portable mode

It needs some tweaking, trying it out with a single joycon I get some fluffed inputs and accidental drops.

1 hour ago, footle said:

You’re playing Lumines without headphones? Heathen.

Haha no, playing with headphones, my noisy buttons were commented on :)

39 minutes ago, wretcherd said:

It needs some tweaking, trying it out with a single joycon I get some fluffed inputs and accidental drops.

Yeah I can imagine, will be able to use the SFC30 pad though, should really try the pro controller dpad but I don't have that with me.

Is 526,203 any good for the basic challenge mode?

In think it's OK but I was dropping blocks like an idiot when Inwas playing and on the old PSP version it looped when I finished.

You want Endless mode for the looping. It only unlocks after you complete basic challenge once. Half a million is not bad. I think I finished it on 700,000 odd (clear in 53 mins). Did you get the trophy for finishing under 55 minutes?

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Darwock said:

You want Endless mode for the looping. It only unlocks after you complete basic challenge once. Half a million is not bad. I think I finished it on 700,000 odd (clear in 53 mins). Did you get the trophy for finishing under 55 minutes?

Oooh.  No.

I'll take a another look tonight.  Cheers.

I picked this up from Greenman Gaming for £7.49 and was pleasantly surprised to find it includes the soundtrack and wallpaper, which is an additional £9.49 on Steam along with the £9.99 price for the main game.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, StoooTube said:

I picked this up from Greenman Gaming for £7.49 and was pleasantly surprised to find it includes the soundtrack and wallpaper, which is an additional £9.49 on Steam along with the £9.99 price for the main game.

I've only dipped into this thread occasionally - and hadn't realised it was on Steam. I *adore* Lumines (I maxed the PSP version score at 999, 999, and played the Vita version to death too), so your post made this an insta-buy. I've only got time for a quick dabble once this has downloaded tonight, but - oh boy! This is getting a righteous seeing-to in the coming days... :)

• Upvote 1