rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Stroker Ace

A Lumines Thread

1 hour ago, wretcherd said:

Nearing a mill.

IMG_20180629_200745.jpg

Wow. Beyond my comprehension atm. Managed somewhere in the region on 40k earlier. 

Oooooh tempting to play this all again. Played it to death on PSP and bought it on iOS many years later but never enjoyed the controls so gave up after a few minutes. This on Switch would be a thing.

Score attacks can do one. Endless mode forever.

3 hours ago, Hardbattle said:

Had complaints from the Mrs. in bed last night..... HD-Rumble was too loud. At least it was something different she was complaining about :)

I played it without headphones for the first time this morning.

The HD Rumble was already good, but now I’m slightly in awe after ‘hearing the rumble’ and how it seems to be adding to the music with its own noises.

Also, I added another 120,000 to my score. Maybe playing without headphones is the way to go... :o

Loving playing this again. No where near as good as you guys. Can't fathom getting that far in. 

Only complaint I have is the loadtimes, seems excessively long for what it is. Always that minor delay before another run can be done.

Anyone beat vs cpu? Only got to level 3 lol

7 minutes ago, Zero9X said:

Only complaint I have is the loadtimes, seems excessively long for what it is. Always that minor delay before another run can be done.

That’s been a common complaint about the Switch version. Loading times on other formats are supposedly faster.

Just now, DC LEMON said:

That’s been a common complaint about the Switch version. Loading times on other formats are supposedly faster.

Eeesh, playing it on PS4 and I'm finding it long on there. 

On 30/06/2018 at 10:40, Poet said:

Oooooh tempting to play this all again. Played it to death on PSP and bought it on iOS many years later but never enjoyed the controls so gave up after a few minutes. This on Switch would be a thing.

Score attacks can do one. Endless mode forever.

Was wondering if you'd be tempted.  You were one of the bigger fans of the original way back when Psp launched

18 hours ago, cassidy said:

Was wondering if you'd be tempted.  You were one of the bigger fans of the original way back when Psp launched

I really was. I'll pick it up at some point soon. Might take a while to slip back into that old rhythm.

40k is still about my limit on this, but despite that I keep wanting to try again, so it's all worth it. It felt really good to play on PSP but on Switch with the nice screen and HD rumble it feels even better. My girlfriend wasn't impressed when I was sat up having just one more go the other night though.

• Upvote 1

Generally the game is pretty good at throwing you some slower levels after a few of the faster ones, thinking of the early orange and white squares then later the green and grey rounded squares, a great opportunity to go for big multipliers or clear any untidy piles. The horrible neon pink and white edged board followed by the green and white spheres around level 90 is a killer but the two that follow allow a mop up and then a final push for big points. The song on the last level is worth the journey!

Level fucking 92 can fuck off and die in a cunting fire!!!!

Some kind of mental block on getting that that skin and that level are destroying me. Enter it with a board under control and then I just fall apart. 5 times in a row now. 

I am such the complete beginner at this! There is talk on this page that sails a million miles over my head, with skins and colours affecting things. What? I may never get beyond level 3, because I just cant seem to get into the correct habits when playing, and am always looking for whatever one would call a Tetris in this game. Which I inevitably fail to land, because I'm too stupid to spin the pieces the right way. 

• Empathy 1

I'd say the main thing you want to do as a beginner is to keep the stack low - if you manage this well you can try to clear one colour to get the 1,000 bonus every time the sweep goes across. Or 10,000 if you can clear the whole screen. Once the blocks get more than 3 or 4 deep problems can rack up fairly quickly. It's also tempting to fill up the middle so don't forget to use the with - early on I often have 2 piles on the go, mostly one colour to the left then mostly the other colour to the right, chipping away at each. Another good tactic is to keep horizontal lines of the same colour so you can wipe a load of blocks out when a special flashing block appears.

• Upvote 1