Stroker Ace

A Lumines Thread

Having recently been playing this a lot, and then discovering the wonderful world of a h-encored Vita, I grabbed my old PSP-Go and transferred Lumines/Lumines II over to the Vita for old times sake.

I noticed right away that the game feels sluggish in comparison to the remastered PS4 one. The forced drops take a noticable amount longer to hit the bottom. Was it always like that? I thought it might have been emulation slowing it down but I checked and it also ran the same way on the Go. Unfortunately I no longer have a working vanilla PSP to compare the UMD version.

21 hours ago, MarkN said:

I've only dipped into this thread occasionally - and hadn't realised it was on Steam. I *adore* Lumines (I maxed the PSP version score at 999, 999, and played the Vita version to death too), so your post made this an insta-buy. I've only got time for a quick dabble once this has downloaded tonight, but - oh boy! This is getting a righteous seeing-to in the coming days... :)

Its brilliant! Just like the PSP original but in 4k. I bought this and Tempest 4k from GMG (also includes the soundtrack).

The iOS version of Lumines is also really good and has a downloadable Rez theme. I really hope there’s DLC releases for Steam.

Quite frequently of late I’m getting a crash and error code when I die in the Switch version. Anycunt else? Worried I’ll end up setting a high score and the shit won’t end up saving. Not that my high scores are actually high. I don’t feel like I’m particularly bad at the game, but my completion rate is just 34% on Challenge Mode. It all starts going to shit on the icy blue / white tile, and I tend to eventually succumb on that pink and white blobby stage. Got past it once or twice, but I annoyingly seem to have plateaued around  that stage. I’ve only unlocked 25% of the skins. WTF.

I saw this got an update on the Switch the other day but I haven't played it since - i wonder if it fixed the framerate issues. I noticed while playing it undocked when it was released that it would get more and more sluggish the further into challenge mode you got.

I've played 24hrs of this. I must just suck at it. Highest i have ever got is level 83. :lol:

I recognise the patterns and know how to clear the screen, i think the speed just increases at one point so sharply. Thats where i tend to suck. But then after a couple of skins, it slows down again and i get back to my normal pace.

On 17/08/2018 at 17:09, wretcherd said:

Luckily, it didn't crash on completion, roughly 50% of the time I get an error code @Calashnikov.

Funnily and sure enough, since making that post I did indeed go on to set myself a new high score, only to have the game crash and bring up the error code. Shat it. I exited back to the Switch home screen, then re-opened Lumines. While the error screen pop up was still visible, the game refreshed behind the window and went through to present my new high score, which saved thankfully. I wasn't sure if this would have happened had I not exited and re-opened the game, but it's something to bear in mind if it happens to you.

There's been an update since I first made the post about getting the error code, but it still persists. Nerve-jangling. It's like you especially doubly don't wanna die in the game. Stressful as flip.

I've just started playing this for the first time on Switch. I have no idea how to play it and my brain keeps convincing me that I'm playing Tetris. So far I've racked up a score of about 8k :hat:

What is the point of the music, apart from just background music? I thought it was a rhythm action game where you had to do things to the beat, but apparently not.

I may have to look at a few YouTube guides...

8 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I've just started playing this for the first time on Switch. I have no idea how to play it and my brain keeps convincing me that I'm playing Tetris. So far I've racked up a score of about 8k :hat:

What is the point of the music, apart from just background music? I thought it was a rhythm action game where you had to do things to the beat, but apparently not.

I may have to look at a few YouTube guides...

It's not a rhythm action game, but the music affects the gameplay (and for me personally the music helps me remember how I should be playing at any given time). Basically each music theme dictates the tempo of the game, meaning you have to change the way you play to deal with it. For the first few levels you won't notice much difference, but later on there are some major changes that really force you to adapt to survive. The biggest change to cope with is the speed that the bar that erases the blocks moves across the screen. Sometimes it moves painfully slowly, meaning you have to deal with a massive build up of blocks as you wait for it to inch across and clear them. Other times it zips across meaning you're hurrying to slam blocks down in time to get them fully erased, rather than only partially. Sometimes the blocks fall faster than you're comfortable with and you're just trying to do the least damage possible with them, other time you're holding them back cashing in single colour bonuses every time the bar crosses the screen (more than once a pass if you have the right blocks in hand).

It's an odd little game. it looks incredibly, stupidly simple - like there's not enough there, perhaps at first. But the first thing you notice as you get better and progress, is that to progress further still you're going to have to get better again. And again...

• Upvote 1

Thanks @MarkN. It's certainly addictive! I just need to play it more to get a bit better at it. I unlocked the third skin this morning and pushed my high score up to 12,000. Progress! :blah:

• Upvote 1

35,000 now! I've got to around there three times in a row but get scuppered each time. It's funny how some colour combinations completely throw you.

• Upvote 2

Careful - once it gets its hooks into you it's really hard to get away. :)

It pretty much became an obsession for me the first time around on the PSP. I just could not walk away until I'd maxed the score. And then I've bought every version I had a machine for since, I think (and played each until I'm happy I've got the better of it).

One of those games I always overlook when it comes to top 20 games ever lists, but it really deserves to be considered. Very few games got their hooks in quite so deeply.

• Upvote 1

My enjoyment of this is starting to lessen a bit as I can't seem to get much better at it. My highest score is only about 45k. Anyone got any tips for me? Most games I concentrate on just trying to keep the board as clear as possible as opposed to playing at speed and going for combos, etc. I still always seem to build myself into a corner by about level 20 or so, however.

12 hours ago, Jamie John said:

My enjoyment of this is starting to lessen a bit as I can't seem to get much better at it. My highest score is only about 45k. Anyone got any tips for me? Most games I concentrate on just trying to keep the board as clear as possible as opposed to playing at speed and going for combos, etc. I still always seem to build myself into a corner by about level 20 or so, however.

My preferred play style is to take it slow and go for single colour clears (or full board clears if I get lucky). The first few minutes of this video shows pretty much how I play too:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MarkN said:

My preferred play style is to take it slow and go for single colour clears (or full board clears if I get lucky). The first few minutes of this video shows pretty much how I play too:

That person makes it look so simple! I'll have a go at doing it that way and see if I get any joy. Otherwise, I think I might leave this for a bit.

15 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Was it Lumines 2 on the PSP that was a bit meh? I loved the first one, but iirc Edgetm rated the sequel considerably lower than the stellar original.

It was essentially the same game just with licenced music?

13 hours ago, gossi the dog said:

It was essentially the same game just with licenced music?

I think it's that the music wasn't as good as one on the first one, the core gameplay is still solid. I'd love to play the PS4 one as it has the original music, but have the Vita version on the handheld and just think this game is so well suited to being portable rather than on the TV. But I miss that first song, its a classic