Stroker Ace

A Lumines Thread

That's Lumines - pronounced LOO-MIN-ESS, got it?

Anyway, we've had a lot of Lumines threads over the years, and with both Lumines 2 and Lumines Live about to come out, let's stick 'em all in one big thread and have a big old Lumines party.

Remember, this is a club for gentlemen, so let's not have any of that bullshit from people who don't "get" Lumines in here. We've heard it all before about how it's so simple and shit. YOU'RE simple and shit. Bugger off.

Lumines is great. Someone on this very forum said it best when they were asked how to play Lumines, replying with something like "you don't learn how to be good at Lumines, you just play it and your brain starts forming dedicated Lumines pathways, and then you get good". He was right - that's EXACTLY how it works.

So anyway, Lumines 2 is looking shit, not because of anything wrong with the actual mechanics of the game, but because of this:

Beck - Black Tambourine *

Black Eyed Peas - Pump It *

Chemical Brothers - Star Guitar *

Fatboy Slim - Gangster Trippin' *

The Go! Team - Bottle Rocket *

Gwen Stefani - Hollaback Girl *

Hoobastank - Born to Lead *

Junior Senior - Take My Time *

Junkie XL - Breezer

Ken Ishii - TBA

Missy Elliot - Lose Control *

Mondo Grosso - various, exclusive to game

New Order - TBD *

Stigmato Inc - Reality Check

TECHRIDERS - TBA

And if you look at that tracklist and think it'll be good, you're a fucking moron. Of course, it's Lumines, so it'll play great, but it'll sound worse than the death rattle of your own children, so clearly Lumines 2 is out of the window.

Lumines Mobile came out a few months back, and guess what? It's actually kinda good. I mean yeah it's still a phone game, so don't go expecting any miracles - but it's certainly a fair representation of the game, so if your phone can handle it you should give it a go.

5gb1.gif2cd2.gif

The real deal is coming soon though - Lumines Live is apparently out in September (hopefully not like how Street Fighter 2 was out in March) for 1200 points. It became good the very minute it was announced that they have "proper" skins and that alongside the cacky music videos. Contrary to early reports, it comes with the versus mode as standard and with online scoreboards it's going to be The Tits.

Here, have some shots:

lumines20060801045136654lt5.th.jpg lumines20060801045137826bo3.th.jpg lumines20060801045139872hz2.th.jpg

Now, you can quote me as having previously said that Lumines belongs on a handheld, and that's something I stick by - no game since Mario 64 has been so perfect for the format it was originally released on. But with the news that Lumines 2 has the soundtrack from school disco hell, and with all the awesome extra shit in Lumines Live, there's really only one way to go - downloadable skins, online scoreboards, versus modes - it's gonna be great. I'll still be giving Lumines 2 a whirl with an open mind, though I'm really not looking forward to the sound that'll be coming out of my headphones.

One thing Lumines Live needs, and it's very much a make-or-break deal: a Save mode. Lumines would have been unplayable if you had to make every 999,999 run a marathon session. being able to put the machine into sleep mode made it manageable. Just like Hexic, Lumines needs to autosave when you turn it off. Otherwise, your eyes will be bleeding by the time you start hitting your second million.

Oh, and that's the other thing it needs - a score counter that goes up to 999,999,999 rather than 999,999, otherwise that high-score table is going to get very crowded at the top.

So anyway, let's have a big Lumines party. Have YOU hit 999,999, or have you wasted you life on less important pursuits? Are you shit at lumines? We'll set you on the right path. Maybe you've never played the game at all? We'll fix that sunshine, don't you worry.

Are YOU a member of the 999,999 Club?

• Upvote 2

Excellent, I had no idea Lumines Live was so close. I'll be grabbing it; that's a no-brainer.

As for the original, I never managed to hit 999,999, which I fear puts me under the 'shit' category. Despite loving it, I haven't given it the time it deserves as my time for handheld gaming isn't particularly huge (if I'm travelling somewhere, I tend to drive). That's not a reasonable excuse though I guess -- if a game's that good, you should make time for it. I tend to think 'I'm in the house, I should be using my (limited) gaming time for the under-the-TV consoles', which is silly really when I think about it. I'll be jumping back on it in anticipation of the Live version.

Played Lumines Mobile a bit, but couldnt get the most out of it due to the piece of fucking shite that is the k750i joystick.

I can see the potential though, and I'm looking forward to playing it on the 360.

I skim read the IGN article so I may have missed this, but do we know what the soundtrack in Lumines Live is going to be? Is it based on the PSP version?

Apparently so, plus that fucking Madonna track from E3, with downloadable tunes to come. It comes with twelve tunes and skins as standard.

As for the original, I never managed to hit 999,999, which I fear puts me under the 'shit' category.

Nah - under 600,000 is the "shit" category. 600,000-999,998 is good. But only 999,999 is NINENINENINENINENINENINE CLUB material.

What about Lumines Plus on PS2? Is that still due, and how does it differ from the original PSP game?

Oh yeah, forgot all about that one.

Anyone?

My only niggle with it is that it takes too Goddamn long to rack up a remotely decent score.

Nah, I like that. But that's why the 360 game needs a Hexic-style save.

I consider a run through Lumines as one of the greatest journeys videogaming has ever given me. It's like some kind of concept album videogame hyrbid and I love it as if it were my own cock and balls.

That's Lumines - pronounced LOO-MIN-ESS, got it?

Sod off!!

So anyway, let's have a big Lumines party. Have YOU hit 999,999, or have you wasted you life on less important pursuits?

:(

Got about 350,000 and 'looped' it, then stopped playing anymore. Fuppin' ace, though.

Not sure I'll bother with this Live version; I ain't the competitive sort and I don't fancy buying skins and songs to cover up shit skins and songs. Good luck to ya, though. I can feel the love.

Pronounced what now? :P

Some info on a GBA homebrew version and some pc/mac clones here.

I'm running Luminesweeper with a customised track listing on my DS, 'tis rather good and to me at least, plays pretty much exactly like the original, to the extent I've gotten better at the PSP version because I've been playing the homebrew one so much. :(

The soundtrack to the first one was absolute fucking shit too but the wonderful thing was it didn't matter in the least. Lumines 2 will be great, based purely on the fact it's a Lumines game.

:P

"Shinin', shinin', shinin', shinin'...."

...shit.

The game gets too fast and kicks me off at 30,000. The most I've ever scored is 39,000 - I just can't keep up with the speed of the blocks falling and within 30 seconds an empty screen is full.

...shit.

The game gets too fast and kicks me off at 30,000. The most I've ever scored is 39,000 - I just can't keep up with the speed of the blocks falling and within 30 seconds an empty screen is full.

You get better at it, and it becomes automatic, but it's time-consuming.