The Wildhearts and Wildhearts side-projects.

Silent Runner

Ginger has decades of form for falling out with bandmates, dissolving bands, ending shows early, ending tours early... so yes it'll all be related. 

I don't doubt that he has ongoing, long-standing mental health issues. He's very open about that fact. But that's no excuse for treating people like shit. 

The last Wildhearts tour imploded, badly. 

CJ (the Wildhearts' lead guitarist) just recently did a tour with his new band, co-headlining with Grand Theft Audio (which features Ritch Battersby, the Wildhearts' drummer). The tour also included Scott Sorry, who was not the original bassist in the Wildhearts but played in the band for a number of years and several albums. 

CJ gave an interview a couple of months ago that is worth reading. 

https://originalrock.net/2022/09/30/three-wildhearts-walk-into-a-nightclubpart-one-the-cj-wildheart-interview/

This tour is amazing. Because you’ve got three bands, and we all get on. Hardly anyone drinks and there are definitely no fucking drugs on this bus. If I found anyone doing drugs, I’d probably kick them off the bus immediately. I don’t want to be around that shit anymore, and there are no kids on the bus, a few youngsters. I don’t mind people doing it but just keep that fucking shit away from me. I won’t be around people who do that anymore because it destroys lives it’s destroyed my main band and put me in a position I never ever want to be in again. This tour is amazing because I’m on tour with adults, decent people who don’t fuck about.

There is a time and a place for everything, and the Nineties was a long time ago. If you’re still living your life like it’s the nineties and you’re in your fifties… you need to slap yourself, grow up and get a grip. Simple as. I have no problem with people doing what they want; if they want to kill themselves slowly, they can do that; I just don’t want them doing it around me.

I almost was going to give up before this tour, and it was nothing to do with the lack of money I was earning. It was to do with how horrible touring (with The Wildhearts) last year was and how things had been left, almost destroyed. I was fed up. Fed up with putting my heart into everything and having it end so badly. This tour has shown me that you can go out on tour and not have shit happening, and you can get to the end of a tour without arguments and trouble.

I think with The Wildhearts, we’re a great band, and I think we’ve made some really, really good music over the years and decades, but there is something fundamentally wrong and flawed in the band. It causes alot of heartache, anger and pain.”

Yeah, the only way I can see [playing with The Wildhearts again] is a no drink and no drugs policy. It has to be clean. This tour is proof that if people are clean…Alcohol and drugs, if you want to do it, fine, but if you’re doing it every day and travelling together, it causes many problems. I can’t be around it anymore; I just can’t.”

I suspect the Wildhearts fractured right down the middle. Danny McCormack is clearly still suffering with his substance addiction problems, and it looks like Ginger drinks too much when touring. I think the two of them probably stuck together, and the other two had enough. 

I also note from that CJ interview that the tour manager on the CJ/GTA/Scott Sorry tour was Gav McCaughey, who used to be the Wildhearts' manager but Ginger fell out with him (which also led more-or-less directly to the dissolution of previous Ginger side-project Hey Hello, because the lead singer Victoria Liedtke was McCaughey's girlfriend). Again there's a rift and some people have come down on one side and some on the other. 

Ginger's an excellent songwriter. I've been a fan of his since someone gave me a tape of Earth Vs The Wildhearts in 1993 and I've been to see him live (with many different bands) more times than I can count. It's just such a shame he really doesn't seem to be a very pleasant person a lot of the time. 

I do think CJ and Ritch are both good eggs. They're probably better off without him, even if the Wildhearts is the only band that makes money. 

2 hours ago, jonathanhoey said:

They won’t be allowed to even find out about it. Any criticism of Ginger on the Wildhearts groups gets shut down instantly. It’s not even by the moderators, the community itself won’t hear a word against him. 

well, she did tweet him directly...so it is public

image.png.1fc950125dd6e94fac0cee2744dfa70b.png

So, im gonna put this in here, as i think its important.

ginger got in touch with my friend , and tried to apologise...and ...well...

Spoiler

This is my freind telling him what happened.

FggYoguWQAImloB?format=jpg&name=large

he sent this

FggYotOXEAY3QIK?format=jpg&name=large

My freind replied

FggYo7vWAAAHYgW?format=jpg&name=large

and got this

FggYpJiXwAIFdBG?format=jpg&name=large

and then...this...

FggZm_EXkAEoXon?format=jpg&name=large

and thius...

FggZnM-XoAMLOQF?format=jpg&name=large

Hopnestly, fuck the cunt.

I loved the wildhearts but after this.

Fuck Ginger! hes a grade A fucking Cunt! that should not be supported in any way!

Close thread...

On the main Facebook fan group there was a bit of discussion with people making quiet reference to what had happened, and it was as predicted. Mostly very defensive.

Anyway someone had the confidence to call it out for what it was, and got a lot of support from many of the regulars which was good to see. 

Then an admin stepped in, said it wasn’t allowed to be discussed and locked not just the post but the entire group which is a real dick move. 

0D69525E-6E42-45D3-A014-66BACEC7B322.jpeg

16 hours ago, Vespa Alex said:

On the main Facebook fan group there was a bit of discussion with people making quiet reference to what had happened, and it was as predicted. Mostly very defensive.

Anyway someone had the confidence to call it out for what it was, and got a lot of support from many of the regulars which was good to see. 

Then an admin stepped in, said it wasn’t allowed to be discussed and locked not just the post but the entire group which is a real dick move. 

I called it half right, then. 

On 30/10/2022 at 20:31, jonathanhoey said:

They won’t be allowed to even find out about it. Any criticism of Ginger on the Wildhearts groups gets shut down instantly. It’s not even by the moderators, the community itself won’t hear a word against him. 

In this case I'm actually pleased that I was half wrong. At least some of the group members were in agreement that this is far beyond acceptable. 

20 hours ago, Vespa Alex said:

0D69525E-6E42-45D3-A014-66BACEC7B322.jpeg

That Facebook group is embarrassing. You can't make an even remotely critical comment without being jumped upon. The way they brush this under the carpet is shameful. It may as well be an 'official' band run group.