IGNORED

Robocop 2

fragglerock

I say good business is where you find it.

Robocop quotes eh? Always a winner.

I still to this day find it amazing that its become the most quotable movie of all time for a generation of adults. I mean, when I was 14 me and my mates used to quote lines from it thinking we were the only people ever to do it - turns out that absolutely every 28 - 38 year old does it.

WHY? I mean, the dialogue is surely no different from any other film of the era (sure - there's a few funny remarks here and there) yet people always quote the most inane lines...

Good point. However, RoboCop is different to the quotability of, say, an Arnie film, which is purely down to Arnie's delivery.

I think the dialogue is of a much higher quality than is sometimes given credit. It's got that energy, sparkle and, importantly, humour to it. It's not something that takes itself too seriously (it is a satire, after all). The use of dialogue is also great. For example, when RoboCop storms the drug warehouse. Loads of bad guys with weapons aimed at him.

"Come quietly or there will be...trouble."

As if he's scolding some scuffling school buys.

And:

After ED-209 rips Kinney to shreds:

Johnson: "To bad about Kinney, huh?"

Morton: "That's life in the big city."

As if he's been sacked, not brutally executed.

And, although the dialgoue is slightly OTT in places, the delivery from the main actors rarely is. They pitch it just right so dialogue and delivery work together to create the quotable masterpiece that is RoboCop.

"First, don't fuck with me. I'm a desperate man! And second, I want some fresh coffee. And third, I want a recount! And no matter how it turns out, I want my old job back!"

Good point. However, RoboCop is different to the quotability of, say, an Arnie film, which is purely down to Arnie's delivery.

I think the dialogue is of a much higher quality than is sometimes given credit. It's got that energy, sparkle and, importantly, humour to it. It's not something that takes itself too seriously (it is a satire, after all). The use of dialogue is also great. And, although the dialgoue is slightly OTT in places, the delivery from the main actors rarely is. They pitch it just right so dialogue and delivery work together to create the quotable masterpiece that is RoboCop.

LE FAX VRAI.

I was having an argument with my flatmate the other night about Robocop; he was saying that, in Brazil, Robocop's just seen as the ultimate cheesy rubbish eighties action flick, and that's it's on a par with Commando. I was saying that Robocop's seen as actually being a really good film in the UK, at least among 25-38 year old men. I suspect that could be due to the translation and dubbing; if you didn't have the amazing writing and delivery, Robocop would be on the same level as something like Robot Jox.

I watched Starship Troopers last night. Despite having the same writer and director, it doesn't have anywhere near as many quotable lines as Robocop. This is down to most of the characters being played by relatively bland teen TV actors.

Only the scenery-chewing veterans like Michael Ironside and Clancy Brown say anything really memorable.

So, yeah, it's all in the delivery.

"I guess you're on your knees right about now, begging for your life."

Let's not forget Verhoeven's contribution too. Not only does he coax excellent performances from the actors, he brings life to each scene, which means the dialogue isn't suffocated by leaden action or ponderous direction. In lesser hands, the number of quotable lines would be vastly reduced.

It's not surprising that it's well regarded by critics and was one of the defining films of the 80s.

"I'm what you call a repeat offender. I repeat, I will offend again!"

I'll have a look around for it. If I find it consider it yours FOC.

Wow that would be terrific :P

I'd certainly make sure it falls into the hands of someone capable of ripping it to PC - and maybe even burning it to DVD :unsure: - first though. A treasure like that just has to be shared :P

That scene's amazing. I love Bob Morton's mad eighties hi-fi that takes up about three quarters of his living room.

It's the very definition of 80s power living.

I love the interplay between Morton and the girls. I can't remember it exactly, but it's something like:

Morton: "Oh God! I love your girls. Smart is so sexy."

Girl 1: "I know. Sometimes I just think of something, and it just gets me soooo horney."

Morton: 'A mind is a terrible thing to waste.'

Girl 2, sprinking coke on her cleavage: 'And you're going to need lots of stimulation, Bobby."

Morton: "Yes I do. Don't move."

The way he says "trouble" is all that has survived as a quotable bit between me and my friends. The other memory I have of Robocop is that my brother nicked a bus stop poster of the movie and brought it home one day folded up. Opened up it was about 8 foot high and four foot wide. The only wall that it would have fit on was the ceiling. Never did put it up and have no idea where it is now.

Yeah, its interesting that it wasn't until years later I realised the film was a brutal swipe at 80's corporate and individual greed. It's so in your face when you realise.

"Mikey, blow this cock suckers head off."

"I had to kill Bob Morton because he made a mistake"

"Attempted murder?.... it's not like he killed someone"

I watched Starship Troopers last night. Despite having the same writer and director, it doesn't have anywhere near as many quotable lines as Robocop. This is down to most of the characters being played by relatively bland teen TV actors.

That was an intentional choise on Verhoeven's part. The bland 90210 generation with their toothpaste smiles and perfect haircuts as the inhabitants of a fascist society.

It's less quotable as Robocop for sure, but it's still a wicked satire as well:

Reporter: "Some say the bugs were provoked by the intrusion of humans into their natural habitat, that a live and let live policy is preferable to war with the bugs."

Rico: "I'm from Buenos Aires and I say KILL 'EM ALL!"

Everyone is doing their part. Are you? :unsure:

That was an intentional choise on Verhoeven's part. The bland 90210 generation with their toothpaste smiles and perfect haircuts as the inhabitants of a fascist society.

It's less quotable as Robocop for sure, but it's still a wicked satire as well:

Reporter: "Some say the bugs were provoked by the intrusion of humans into their natural habitat, that a live and let live policy is preferable to war with the bugs."

Rico: "I'm from Buenos Aires and I say KILL 'EM ALL!"

For sure - I ordered the R1 DVD just for Verhoeven and Neumeier commentary (I listened to the first half last night, and it is indeed on a par with the Robo commentary).

"The idea that violence solves nothing is wishful thinking at its worst."

The commentary on Starship Troopers is fucking ace; Verhoeven is a certified lunatic. Of course, we all knew this already from watching his films, but it's still amazing to behold the depths of madness he plumbs during the ST commentary.

Best bit: When he's talking about how he got the actors to look convincingly scared of the bugs, when they would be digitally added later.

VERHOEVEN: Y'know, becaush the bugsh weren't there in the shot, I had to get a shuitable reaction from the actorsh by running at them going "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AARRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH" and thish had the deshired effect, you know?

Verhoeven's commentaries are easily the best. This bit in the Total Recall one sticks in my mind:

Verhoeven: "Sharon was a bit shy here and reluctant to take off her top, she didn't want to show to much. But I got my revenge on Basic Instinct intit? Hehehehe."

Arnie: "HAHAHAHAHAHAH"

Robocop?

I'd buy that for a dollar!

For some reason that line particularly reminds me of smash tv on the snes.

Big money! Big prizes!

I love it!

What makes me really sad though is the number of adults, people who have graduated from university and have honest to goodness proper jobs, who are too young to have seen some of the best action films ever.

I was saddened when someone greeted my cry of "give the man a hand!" with blank incomprehension but on the day I suggested we take off and nuke the site from orbit as it was the only way to be sure I was greeted by more blank looks, "Aliens?", I prompted,

"What? Never heard of it."

was the response.

I broke down and cried.

The film's flawed in many ways that detract from what is, IMHO, a fantastic screenplay full of violence, humour and scorn. One of my main gripes is that the cast is absolutely appalling - barely any of them can deliver a line, and it really harms the film. My second main gripe is that the design and effects are quite poor - they lack the polish the original has.

Robocop 2 lacked the robotic hum that Robo made in the first film. I have no idea how or why they missed it. The first time he walks into the precinct you can distinctly hear it and it really gives him presence. Such little things are big deal when you're trying to capture atmosphere.

"Does it hurt? Does it hurt?"

The way he says "trouble" is all that has survived as a quotable bit between me and my friends.

That bit is brilliant.

It's perfectly paced and the use of trouble as euphemism for all the carnage to follow is hilarious.

''Come quietly or there will be (ever so slight tilt of head)....trouble''

Years ago, my friend had the greatest concept ever: 'RoboCop: the Musical'. It never went far beyond that first idea but there's massive potential, I'm sure you'll agree.

Robo: "Come quietleeeeeeeey or there will beeeeee...trouble!"

Chan: "Ah..fuck you!"

Chorus line: "And you, and you and ba baba!" (in-joke to Jim'll Fixit)

Choreographed shooting gallery-type sequence. People die in slow-motion balletic grace. White powder snows onto stage. The chorus line chants: Guns! Guns! Guns!

Yeah, its interesting that it wasn't until years later I realised the film was a brutal swipe at 80's corporate and individual greed. It's so in your face when you realise.

Yeah tottally. Was Robocop considered a block buster? Because you dont see much stuff like that in modern films, or not so i've noticed.

Its funny as well that the Toxic waste guy is Romano from ER

edit: http://lckrause.addr.com/verhoeven/robocop.html

Ironside as Robocop? that would have been brutal!

My favourite actor in it was Miguel Ferrer who played Bob Morton. That guy should have gone onto do big things.

Looking on IMDB it looks like he ended up as a bit-parter/cartoon voice over guy.

It turns out he did the voice of the Heretic Leader in Halo 2! Which means this thread on this message board has gone full circle.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001208/

Edit: "I had a guaranteed military sale with ED209, renovation programs, spare parts for 25 years. Who cares if it worked or not?"

"The old man seemed to think it was pretty important"

"Yes! Now that's how you do it in the big leagues Johnson.....you see an opening, you go for it!"

My fave too I think :(

Edit - the video isn't in my flat, gonna check mums at the weekend. I have a horrible feeling I gave it to her to use as a blank after I got the DVD :(

Can I give the man (Basil Poledouris) a big hand? His score (Robocop's theme) is stunning and so memorable, even now.

I think my favourite shot of the whole film is when Robo is ambushed by the police after being beaten up by ED-209. It's the low angle shot with Robo crawling towards the camera being slowly battered by the police guns. The lighting, sound and music are awesome and really moving.

Question: When you watched this for the first time, did you stomp around your house later making the tchunk sounds like Robocop?

Venice Cull - you've never seen Twin Peaks, have you? That's a bad thing - partly cos it's the best US telly series ever, and partly cos it's got Miguel Ferrer being amazing as an FBI agent. You have to see it.

He's Jose Ferrer's son - a trad US actor who played lots of romantic leads. Kind of cool that his little un wound up playing broken down dark reflections of the same characters...

Anyway, back on topic. Watched most of Robocop II the other night and I do think it's rubbish - a meandering, chaotic hotchpotch of ideas that never form a satisfying whole. Nice fight at the end but that's it.

Someone beat you to it Chosty: http://www.silencethemusical.com/audio/Murphy.mp3

I don't believe it! Those bastards! Not enough swearing, though. I'm sure I can do better.

Question: When you watched this for the first time, did you stomp around your house later making the tchunk sounds like Robocop?

Certainly did, and also did the whole moving my head before turning my body.

My favourite actor in it was Miguel Ferrer who played Bob Morton. That guy should have gone onto do big things.

Yeah, Morton was ace. Shame he got killed.

"Pretty simple math, huh Bob?"