IGNORED

Robocop 2

fragglerock

I've never understood why this gets such a raw deal from critics. I've always liked it as a sequel. It's obviously not as good today as it was back when I watched it as a kid, when it seemed really good, but I still think it's fun and underrated.

Even Robocop 3, despite looking like a TV movie and with a poor actor replacing Peter Weller as Robo, was perfectly watchable.

I truely hate this film.

Firstly it's nowhere near as violent as the first film. Anyone who says it is, is frigging Nuts!

Secondly, it has the worst soundtrack to any film I have ever heard in my fucking life. The Worst!

The first film was smart, had a real heart, was violent as hell and had a great pounding soundtrack.

I still can't believe I paid to watch this shit! Gah!

Robocop 2 has some good bits, but it's largely tripe. It's just dull. And I don't know what they did to Peter Weller between 1987 and 1990, but he's forgotten how to be Robocop- the way he moves is totally lacking that hulking grace he had in the first film. He just minces around like C3PO.

I don't know what they did to Peter Weller between 1987 and 1990, but he's forgotten how to be Robocop- the way he moves is totally lacking that hulking grace he had in the first film. He just minces around like C3PO.

The same thing happened with Arnie in the Terminator sequels, notably T3.

It's very violent, possibly as much as the first. The live operation scene is fucking nasty and you don't even see anything.

nah no way

have you seen the cert X version as it was

i think its been re-released in the uk in a boxed set and the full uncut version is much more graphic than anything robocop 2 has

i like it - the robocop 2 or Cain is brilliant, its how a baddie should look

Ed-209 is shite and Robocop flying in the 3rd part is a joke

It's still got some satire left in it, with all the themes of 'political correctness gone mad' and etc. Robocop 3 was empty in that respect and felt exactly like what it was, a TV pilot, not a film.

Love the way that fucking kid kills several police officers and yet we're still meant to feel sorry for him when he dies.

It's got an amazing 'floating brain and eyeballs in a jar' scene too.

Robocop 2 has some good bits, but it's largely tripe. It's just dull. And I don't know what they did to Peter Weller between 1987 and 1990, but he's forgotten how to be Robocop- the way he moves is totally lacking that hulking grace he had in the first film. He just minces around like C3PO.

2 other things I didn't like.

1. Robocop's voice seems wrong in the sequel. I don't know what they did to it but it doesn't sound as good as in Robocop 1.
  2. His body armour looks as though it's been buffed up in a car showroom to the point where he looks almost blue instead of the cool, gunmetal grey of the first.

I really like R2. Despite the mauling it got from critics, I thought the black humour was great. Phil Tippett's work on R2 himself was immense, especially the initial reveal and warehouse shootout. I enjoyed the satire of R2 representing an overblown, muscle-bound USA, buzzing like an angry wasp too.

The only dodgy SFX is just when the fight continues on the roof and they burst through the glass roof. It was a shame to marginalise Lewis for most of the film though.

Still, it's good to see Chris Quentin (from Corrie) getting some lines.

God! the animation is so bad, it looks like a Voyage Of Sinbad jobbie! :unsure:

Ah, I quite liked that Ray Harryhausen style stop motion. Thinking about it, Robocop 2 is probably one the last few big budget films to really use stop motion before the switch to CGI. The bit where the big baddy robot has Robocop by the legs and is swinging him around, battering him on anything and everything looks pretty cool.