Saturn Dracula X

Graham S

You have slowdown, rougher graphics, slightly longer loads and all menus/text are in Japanese. There are a few small bonus areas but nothing too exciting.

If you've played the PS1 version first you'll be ok, but as a first playthrough it'll be trial and error working out what a lot of items do.

The main differences are that there are two new areas (but as trickytree said, this is often overstated as they're just nice little unimportant curiosities), and there's also quite a bit of extra music on the disc (most notably, a cover of Bloody Tears is used in-game IIRC). You can play as Maria, who has a few cool spells - one of which summons a blue fire dragon from the Salamander games. Dash boots are available for Alucard, and there's an extra spear weapon in there somewhere.

For some unknown reason, however, a lot of the transparency effects are gone.

It's a nice version to have if you can find a cheap one, but don't go out of your way if you already have the PS1 release, as most of the stuff feels noticably tacked-on, and you could be buying Castlevania IV instead. :P

For some unknown reason, however, a lot of the transparency effects are gone.

Because it's really hard to do on Saturn? That's what everyone says anyway.

I wonder if they'll do Rondo of blood (or whatever the PC Engine one is called) on the Wii VC. The 360 is getting SOTN afterall.

Because it's really hard to do on Saturn? That's what everyone says anyway.

That's 3d transparency - a lot in SotN are 2d transparencies, which the Saturn should have no problem with.

It's a lazy port, simple as that. Buy it if you're some kind of MEGA-COLLECTOR, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

I think the Saturn had problems with ANY kind of transparency - take a look at Guardian Heroes, Silhouette Mirage and Street Fighter Zero as well as several other 2D games and you'll notice they all use the 'dot' method of creating a transparency.

Maybe it was just the programmers being lazy? Or they couldn't harness the power of the two CPUs?

Either of those are possible. If I understand things correctly, while the Saturn can display transparent sprites there are odd limitations on how they can be used, not to mention that they can eat up a sizable amount of performance.

Either of those are possible. If I understand things correctly, while the Saturn can display transparent sprites there are odd limitations on how they can be used, not to mention that they can eat up a sizable amount of performance.

Your first post is to discuss Saturn transparency capabilities -

^_^HARDCORE!!!! :(

You've set a high standard now.

"I wonder if they'll do Rondo of blood (or whatever the PC Engine one is called) on the Wii VC."

PC Engine stuff is apparently in the bag, so it'd be criminal not to make Rondo available, really. Should be a dead cert. :unsure:

Was it ever translated? And it was on a CD was it not? I dunno if CD games are confirmed.

Your first post is to discuss Saturn transparency capabilities -

:unsure:HARDCORE!!!! :(

You've set a high standard now.

:( Thanks.

Was it ever translated? And it was on a CD was it not? I dunno if CD games are confirmed.

I don't know if it has ever been translated, but it was on CD. I suppose they could just add subtitles to it, the intro was already subtitled in Japanese since it is spoken in German.

• 5 months later...