MCV Magazine asks - "If I were EA..."

MCV_UK

BASIC ECONOMIC FACT: price elastic goods will not necessarily see an increase in profits from a fall in price.

Of course this is true, but i didnt say they would increase profit and i was only kidding with the BASIC thing.

What I really meant was EA/GAME would get back their market share from Play.com etc.

xevious and Jpickford are you folks economists?

If so we could actually rattle together a plan for EA to increase market share and free up cash for indie games.

If I were EA... I'd buy Valve.

With the Source engine, a whole load of intellectual property and Steam (which would be a perfect fit considering what EA lack), EA could gain a lot from the acquicision. The only problem is that EA seems to destroy fomerly great studios (see: Bullfrog and Westwood), so a hands off approach would be needed.

I'd also sort out online and get some proper marketplace content up. To be honest, the fact that they aren't at the forefront of this is absolutely pathetic, since it's clearly the direction everything is going in.

If I were EA I would invest in some new IP - not too many, just a handful. EA can make good games, well maybe when Criterion make them!

Their current output is tired and although the sports stuff is feasible to annual updates by it's very nautre, how many NFS variants can the general public take?

Asking this forum is a good idea, although most of us are semi-fanatical in our hobby and so skewed in our requests for remakes of old favourite, the likes of which Joe Public would possibly not be interested.

EA - my simple answer to your current business is to think less is more. Games wise I think EA could be better off releasing less games and then offering small updates via XBL(for what I think is fairly ludricrously high priced content) which would provide a regular revenue stream.

Too many releases just dilutes their market share and stretches their shrinking resoures = crappier games. (well it's been a while since I actually bought an EA game - possibly was the 1st LOTR RTS - bit meh in the end that one).

If I were EA I would buy Game (the retailer) and only sell via that outlet.

The reason they are so successful is because they target all their games at the folks that frequent Game.

That way they would control the entire revenue stream from begining to end.

I would then cut the price of games in Game to online prices and dominate the whole market. (games are price elastic, cut prices and we will buy more, simple fact of BASIC economics)

I would eventually use this position of power to occasionally release some interesting games to slate the lust of folks like us! (but of course charge more for the priveledge!)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :(;)

If I were EA, I'd stop using licenses I'd sat on for years to promote dreaful titles barely connected to their supposed ancestors. GoldenEye: Rogue Agent ate up a lot of goodwill the gaming public had towards you, and if it wasn't for the Bond title, no-one would've bought it. System Shock 3 had better be a fine example of a new developer taking on the mantle of old legends, otherwise you can expect it to neither sell nor do your reputation any good.

If I were EA I'd sit down and review my game portfolio. The EA Sports side of the business is in my opinion fine. They've got a good lineup of sports games covering both mainstream and niche sports. However the EA Games side is poor. They're releasing too many games, aimed at the same demographic and hence sales are struggling. In addition, in the past EA would buy up the rights to make licensed spin offs of many movies, in a way hedgeing their bets by acquiring a license which would guarantee them a set amount of sales. However the market nowadays is flooded with licensed spin offs thus hurting sales. In addition the fees being demanded by the holders of these licenses are increasing to substantial amounts, which increases the number of sales that are required to break even. Hence, my answer would be to cut the number of games released. Reduce the number of licensed spin offs. Increase the number of original titles that could become valued series in the future.

If I was EA, I'd stop doing this.

If you sign up to play EA games through Microsoft’s Xbox Live Service, Microsoft will provide your Xbox Live user account information to EA so that we can establish an EA Online account for you. You need an EA Online account to play EA’s Xbox Live titles. By signing up to play EA's Xbox Live titles, you agree that Microsoft can transfer your user account information to EA.

Information collected will vary depending upon the activity and may include your name, e-mail address, phone number, mobile number, home address, birth date and credit card information.

Now the "Connecting to EA servers" message makes a whole lot of sense.

Hi everyone. Thanks a lot for all your feedback on this - it's very much appreciated. I can't say for sure when the feature will appear in MCV, but certainly look out for it in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks again.

The only worry is that companies like EA splash a load of cash and end up monopolising all the XBLA slots - making it impossible for true indies to get their work on there. Hopefully Microsoft will do something to prevent this.

Interesting that you say that, as it's exactly their strategy in mobile. Release so many titles (and have such market clout already) that no other publishers can get slots on operators decks, where 95% of revenues are to be had.