choddo

Steam

Update on the above.  I contacted Bethesda support to see if they would at least give me the reason for the key being revoked and their response was

As it stands, you will have to contact your retailer for further assistance in this issue. They will be able to provide the best assistance for resolving this purchase issue.

We will now be settings this ticket as solved.

So they revoked a key purchased from a reputable third party seller (again, from Amazon EU SARL, not a third party seller, the key was in my Amazon digital library) and can do so eight months after purchase and can cite 'payment problems' as the reason.  Seems our digital libraries aren't as secure as we thought.

• Upvote 1

I keep getting e-mails for discounted games from my wishlist that aren't actually on my wishlist (any more). Mainly Killing Floor 2

Halp. 

So the new survival game darling is SCUM, sitting at 1st place on the global sellers.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/513710/SCUM/

Just a word of warning to anyone tempted - I had to refund it after 90 minutes. I picked it up yesterday morning on a whim after reading a tweet from someone claiming it was like playing the early loot phase of pubg but neverending. What they didn't mention though was how broken it is. There is a 2-3 second delay with everything. Opening doors, picking stuff up, it's awful. Don;t even think about PVP. The minute a player is in your vicinity you will know, because the lag is ridiculous. People just teleport about the place.

But the killer is performance. With any setting, the FPS gradually decrease over time. I would always start between 70-90, but after 30 minutes or so I was getting consistent 25-30.

It's pre-alpha. It could well be a good game in the future, but this is dough, not bread.

I have no idea what people see in SCUM. It's just another one of those but with even more obtuse game mechanics. People say the Souls series are for masochist but I beg to differ! :P

As far as that genre goes the only game that shows some potential for me right now is REND. 

I love post apocalypse stuff, and these games let me live out my The Road fantasies! I bought ARMA just to try the Day Z mod in 2012!

The atmosphere in SCUM is actually fantastic. In my first game, before the FPS went to shit and I encountered anyone else, I was actually impressed and borderline thinking this is the game to finally do it right. Great graphics, lovely attention to detail and the weather effects when the rain kicked in were amazing. It's just not fit for any kind of monetized release yet. Thank thee lord for Steam refunds.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Gizamaluke said:

I love post apocalypse stuff, and these games let me live out my The Road fantasies! I bought ARMA just to try the Day Z mod in 2012!

The atmosphere in SCUM is actually fantastic. In my first game, before the FPS went to shit and I encountered anyone else, I was actually impressed and borderline thinking this is the game to finally do it right. Great graphics, lovely attention to detail and the weather effects when the rain kicked in were amazing. It's just not fit for any kind of monetized release yet. Thank thee lord for Steam refunds.

Fair enough. Though, for me (regardless of visual fidelity) it's already a no-no when games do generic art and assets, something which in that genre is all too common sadly. 

Mavericks, Hunt and REND are much more up my alley in that respect. 

Also, Steam is 15 years old! Was anyone else on-board from the get-go? It was a no-brainer for me since it was required to play CS 1.6, but that notion was basically a pipe-dream for about a week as it was absolute hell trying to connect to Steam, if you were even able to create an account in the first place. Pretty interesting to see what it's become considering how much everyone loathed it in the beginning.

I remember there being a bit of an uproar they forced us to install it to play Half-life 2. It didn't bother me too much and soon the advantages greatly outweighed the negatives. It's easy to forget what it was like to have to search websites for patches and messing about to get all kinds of draconian DRM to work nicely with your system. 

• Upvote 1

Soon? I think it took ages for Steam to be not some shit launcher that nobody wanted. Reminds me, I've neglected my Half-Life 2 playthrough for a while, I really should get on and finish it if it's been 15 years now. At this rate I'll have gotten through Ep1 & Ep2 by 2025, by which point they might have release Ep3! Not holding breath. 

Actually, bar HL2, CS and so on, what were the first things that started to bolster Steam a bit? Think the first thing on my list is STALKER but that was Dec 2008. 

edit: For me at least, Steam was just something to grit my teeth and bear for years. I wonder if it's partly the reason why I've spent so long trying to play through Half Life 2. 

20 Dec, 2008 STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl Steam Store

8 Nov, 2008 Left 4 Dead Demo Gamestop Retail

28 Nov, 2007 Half-Life 2: Episode 1 Gift/Guest Pass

15 Nov, 2004 Half-Life 2 Silver Complimentary

25 Sep, 2004 ATI Bundle Complimentary

20 Sep, 2004 Half-Life Platinum Pack Complimentary

Before I had my own computer my brother shared his account with me, mostly to play HL2:DM. I got my own account in 2008 and I think the first game in my library was Half-Life 2! 

Not interestingly, just last night I was considering purging some games that are old and janky and I'm just never going to play and STALKER is first on the list. Only ever put about an hour into it, I fucked something up at practically the very start where some guys took exception to me and I couldn't get past the first roadblock. On a restart, I got past there then kept getting fucked up either by anomalies or any single thing ever. Certainly got the bleak as shit and everything is dangerous atmosphere down to a tee. 

I can never remember how to get to the "remove this game from my account entirely" though. I know I can just hide them but some things just need to go.

23 Nov, 2008 Valve Complete 2008 Pack

Started with a big one! :D  I think I was mainly after Left 4 Dead at the time, and thought I'd catch up on all the other cool Valve stuff I'd been missing.  I still have yet to play Episode II :(.  And Ricochet. :blink:

32 minutes ago, fragglerock said:

Ohhh thanks! That's cool to look at!

My first 2 Steam years:

24 Dec, 2009 Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena

28 Nov, 2009 Madballs in... Babo:Invasion

8 Nov, 2009 Mass Effect

5 Nov, 2009 Left 4 Dead 2 (preorder)

15 Sep, 2009 Braid

19 Jul, 2009 The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition

8 Jun, 2009 Left 4 Dead

7 Jul, 2008 Day of Defeat: Source

9 Apr, 2008 Garry's Mod

3 Apr, 2008 The Orange Box

24 Mar, 2008 Audiosurf

21 Feb, 2008 Half-Life 2 Classic

55 minutes ago, stefcha said:

Not interestingly, just last night I was considering purging some games that are old and janky and I'm just never going to play and STALKER is first on the list. Only ever put about an hour into it, I fucked something up at practically the very start where some guys took exception to me and I couldn't get past the first roadblock. On a restart, I got past there then kept getting fucked up either by anomalies or any single thing ever. Certainly got the bleak as shit and everything is dangerous atmosphere down to a tee. 

I can never remember how to get to the "remove this game from my account entirely" though. I know I can just hide them but some things just need to go.

From the Steam client highlight Bad Rats (for instance) and then look at Support on the right under the Links heading.  You have to be in details view, not the icons view.  One of the options there is to permanently remove the item from your account. 

• Upvote 1

20 Jun, 2009Football Manager 2009 

5 May, 2009Plants vs. Zombies (preorder)

25 Feb, 2009Left 4 Dead

6 Jul, 2008Garry's Mod + Team Fortress 2

My first year was a bit.. sparse!

1 hour ago, Untogether said:

From the Steam client highlight Bad Rats (for instance) and then look at Support on the right under the Links heading.  You have to be in details view, not the icons view.  One of the options there is to permanently remove the item from your account. 

While I had nothing anywhere near as piss poor as Bad Rats (I'd like to think I've never had any old shite in my account), I've just removed 60 games from my Steam account FOREVER*. Cathartic stuff. 

*Unless I rebuy any of them while drunk.

15 Jan, 2007 Half-Life 2: Episode One Steam Store

16 Nov, 2004 Half-Life 2 Retail Standard Complimentary

Bit of a gap there. I fucking hated having to have Steam for HL2, not least because I didn't have the internet in that room so had to cart my PC about to activate it. Those were the days.

I bought Half Life 2 around it's release. HOWEVER, i didn't play it that much so I sold it to my brother along with my steam account. That date was 2nd December 2004.

I however didn't create my "own" account till 12th december 2012.

The Orange Box was what tempted me into getting a Steam account back in 2008, just to play Portal at the time.

I've gone from being deeply suspicious to being a massive Steam fanboy to being annoyed about their desertion of curation.

11 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

I genuinely don't understand why.

What, the game deletion thing? Just makes a daunting looking list that's been growing for 14 years almost to the day a little less so, it was stressing me out a bit. I know I can hide titles (and do), but there are some that have just been hanging around barely played if at all for years that there's no longer any point me owning whatsoever, their time has passed for various reasons.

Like I've left L4D & L4D2 for now, but they might go. I only ever played the L4D demo 10 years ago, and while it seemed a good buy at the time (double pack for £5.74 at the end of Dec 2011) the interest isn't really there and with layer numbers ever waning is there any point now? Saying that, L4D2 does actually seem healthy enough but I'm presuming these would be experienced players and I'd be utterly shite :lol: