choddo

Steam

Discord Server

I reckon Valve could well start to wrap up the PC game publishing market over the next couple of years. I can't be arsed to buy PC games any more because they cost a bit too much and I just don't generally have time. I don't bother to look at the PC shelf in Game any more.

But I've bought 3 games off Steam in the last 4 or 5 months (Sin Eps, Darwinia, X3:Reunion), for which the developers probably got more money than they would from a box anyway. I've hardly played them either, because of the time thing but I don't mind buying something for $20 which I'll just have a quick spin on every so often.

It's genius for convenience and price. And the fact that every HL2 or CS:s player is right in front of the advertisig channel is a nice bonus for the developers.

• Upvote 1

Steam is brilliant, and it'll be really interesting to see what they do with LIVE when they release the HL2 package on the 360. That being said, I forgot my password for my Steam account, then couldn't remember my secret answer...........the fuckers didn't respond to countless emails for help, hence I haven't played CS:S for yonks, as theres no way I'm shelling out for the mediocrity that was HL2 again.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I for one welcome our new Valve overlords.

I remember the sheer amount of whinging that went on when HL2 came out based around steam. It's proven itself to be a great way of distributing games. The fact that they push games from small developers like Darwinia and X3 is commendable.

I did like how the only people decrying Steam as a content-delivery service were the mongs who went and bought HL2 from a shop. Everyone else has had a smooth, easy experience with it.

Since they fixed Friends it became one of the bestest things ever.

• Upvote 1

I hate Steam. I can see it's virtue from a sales point of view, but please, why do I have to have it fucking open when I just wanna play a game? Why do you give me the option to play in offline mode and then say you can't because it failed to connect to Steam? It really pisses me off.

• Downvote 2

I hate Steam. I can see it's virtue from a sales point of view, but please, why do I have to have it fucking open when I just wanna play a game? Why do you give me the option to play in offline mode and then say you can't because it failed to connect to Steam? It really pisses me off.

I hate that too! I bought your game, i payed, now please let me run it the way i like it!

On the other hand, Steam has proven to be a good delivery system, but i really do not see it taking of if it continues to offer only the Valve titles and some other, mainly old, experimental or cheap ones. The Warren Spector thing will be distributed through Steam though - now that will certainly be a huge boost...

Valve as an up and coming fully pledged publisher?

Unless they've changed things recently, there are offline modes. Which game(s) are you talking about?

That's the thing. Sometimes it will let me play it, sometimes it won't. I've played the first half of episode one offline. Went to try it yesterday, no sorry, you're not connected to steam. I just want to play the game offline.

I did like how the only people decrying Steam as a content-delivery service were the mongs who went and bought HL2 from a shop. Everyone else has had a smooth, easy experience with it.

Since they fixed Friends it became one of the bestest things ever.

Valve are the bloody mongs. Making the retail game rely on Steam was moronic. Not everyone has Internet access at home you know.

I feel your pain. I've had no net access at home for a couple of weeks thanks to the clownshoes at BT, and as a result I've been locked out of all the Steam games I've paid for.

I still think it's a reasonably decent system, but considering the vast number of electronically distributed games on the PC that don't need something like Steam (i.e. slow, frustrating, and constantly eating CPU and net bandwidth whenever you want to play a game) to function, you have to wonder whether it's entirely necessary.

I for one welcome our new Valve overlords.

I remember the sheer amount of whinging that went on when HL2 came out based around steam. It's proven itself to be a great way of distributing games.

On release it was utter shite and very unreliable so of course people were whinging. It was well deserved too as people were itching to play what they had bought and Steam was preventing that. Fair enough its come right in the end but originally it wasnt all a bed of roses.

Steam is brilliant, and it'll be really interesting to see what they do with LIVE when they release the HL2 package on the 360. That being said, I forgot my password for my Steam account, then couldn't remember my secret answer...........the fuckers didn't respond to countless emails for help, hence I haven't played CS:S for yonks, as theres no way I'm shelling out for the mediocrity that was HL2 again.

Mate, you are aware that you can buy CS:S as a standalone yeah? That's what I did. £11.

Valve are the bloody mongs. Making the retail game rely on Steam was moronic. Not everyone has Internet access at home you know.

These people are The Past.

Folk said the same thing about broadband - "Some of us are still on dialup you know!!1".

DINOSAURS

• Upvote 1

Not everyone has Internet access at home you know.

I bet you could name all of them and their pets though, and it wouldn't take long.

• Upvote 1

These people are The Past.

Folk said the same thing about broadband - "Some of us are still on dialup you know!!1".

DINOSAURS

Er, actually, no.

Some of us are unfortunate people that have been screwed over by a combination of building developers (putting in fibre cable for the whole town - yep, thanks for that) and BT (being unwilling to do anything about it until very recently). Looks like we might get a break soon (finally, 4 years after our exchange was converted), but to imply that all dialup users actively choose not to have broadband just makes me MAD!!! :)

And yes, HL2 was a pain to get going on dialup, took about 3 hours of downloading after installing it from the DVD. Good game once it was going though :(

On release it was utter shite and very unreliable so of course people were whinging. It was well deserved too as people were itching to play what they had bought and Steam was preventing that. Fair enough its come right in the end but originally it wasnt all a bed of roses.

exactly and that was down to a very odd decision on Valve's part - numerous content servers but only one authentication server.

I've never used Steam so don't know this but are you allowed to download more than one copy of a game to more than one PC you own? Obviously you can only play one at a time, can it detect this? If not then it's rubbish.

Steam has been good for me so far. I used it to buy Half-Life 2 and had no problems at all (although this was after it had been out for a while).

I liked being able to use my CD keys from Half-Life 1 to get access to that too (and it even worked with my old save files - bonus!).

I'll definitely be using it again to get Portal.

Steam is really useful. I would agree it's annoying for people with no internet, or on dial-up, and I'm not sure how you can get round that. But otherwise I think all the bugs it started off with have pretty much been fixed. Now that Friends works it's a real breath of fresh air to be able to message and chat whilst playing almost any Steam game (I presume it's like Xbox Live now), and organise games and following people already playing into servers.

As for having to start up Steam to play a game - does it really matter? Despite all the criticism I don't think it takes up much memory at all, it only takes a few seconds, and it's just the equivalent of starting Live on your Xbox before you play. Or starting up MSN :)

I've never used Steam so don't know this but are you allowed to download more than one copy of a game to more than one PC you own?

Yes you can. It's particularly useful when get a new computer. You don't need to go hunting for all your game CDs, just install steam. When you log in it remembers all the games you've paid for and allows you to download them again.

Yes you can. It's particularly useful when get a new computer. You don't need to go hunting for all your game CDs, just install steam. When you log in it remembers all the games you've paid for and allows you to download them again.

It's brilliant isn't it. Before I went away i installed the games on my laptop and it was simple. Now if only they start storing your saves on steam as well as on your PC. That would be amazing.

As for having to start up Steam to play a game - does it really matter? Despite all the criticism I don't think it takes up much memory at all, it only takes a few seconds, and it's just the equivalent of starting Live on your Xbox before you play. Or starting up MSN :)

To be fair, it does take an age to start up on my PC. This isn't that bad though, as I only open it when I want to play a Steam game. It's very transparent once it's open though, and gets to work downloading updates etc in the background while you get on with whatever you wanted to play.

It's brilliant isn't it. Before I went away i installed the games on my laptop and it was simple. Now if only they start storing your saves on steam as well as on your PC. That would be amazing.

Cant see that happening myself. Unless they installed some super duper storage server somewhere in the world.

I'd be happier with Steam if Valve didn't have so much control over your purchased software. At least with Live Arcade, once you've bought it and authenticated it the first time, it's yours to use wherever and whenever.

With Steam, the constant need to keep phoning home is worrying. Who's to say that once they decide they don't want to continue supporting "game x" because it's getting on a bit and they have something new to sell that they won't just switch it off server-side and prevent you playing it any more?

If you could at least stay offline without having to phone home every 30 days or whatever, I'd be far more comfortable making purchases from Steam.

Who's to say that once they decide they don't want to continue supporting "game x" because it's getting on a bit and they have something new to sell that they won't just switch it off server-side and prevent you playing it any more?

why would valve want to stop people from playing their own games?