Steam - UI Overhaul Out Now

The original and DLC have now been removed from the store, so directors cut is the only way to go now.

But in games coming back to Steam, SAW is now available again and Gamestop are selling Steam keys for Chronicles of Riddick - Assault on Dark Athena and Ghostbusters, US only to buy but they work on EU accounts.

Happy to see Ghostbusters available, was only after it was removed that I quite fancied playing it and regretted not picking it up. Hopefully this will mean they're heading back to Steam, going to annoy those holding on to old gift copies hoping to get silly amounts of keys for them.

As this is the de facto PC gaming thread, can I ask for some flight combat recommendations, please?

I only know of HAWX and IL-2 Sturmovik. Are they worth a pop? Any others? Era doesn't really matter, but they have to be more toward the arcade end of the spectrum, rather than the sim side.

Chuck Yeager's Air Combat was great in its day but that really is going back a bit (like 20-odd years). I expect it'd run in DOSBOX with no problems but it might be just too dated.

TFX is the other one I remember from that period, but I expect you'd run into the same thing.

As this is the de facto PC gaming thread, can I ask for some flight combat recommendations, please?

I only know of HAWX and IL-2 Sturmovik. Are they worth a pop? Any others? Era doesn't really matter, but they have to be more toward the arcade end of the spectrum, rather than the sim side.

Crimson skies. Not sure if it is available digitally though.

IL-2 is very sim, but there was an arcadey version of that a while back which was reasonable.

Any idea what it was called?

Chuck Yeager's Air Combat was great in its day but that really is going back a bit (like 20-odd years). I expect it'd run in DOSBOX with no problems but it might be just too dated.

TFX is the other one I remember from that period, but I expect you'd run into the same thing.

Heh, possibly a little old. I played F-29 Retaliator to death on the Amiga, back in about 1992.

Crimson skies. Not sure if it is available digitally though.

Again, maybe a little old, really. I should have said 'modern' ;)

Which reminds me - the Blazing Angels games were pretty decent.

£12 for both on Steam right now: http://store.steampowered.com/sub/736/?snr=1_7_15__13

Hmm, no controller support though? What's Xpadder like these days for analogue motion mapping?

EDIT: thanks RJ, but MP-only's not my thing. I know, I know, I'm a pain in the arse. I want: modern, combat (not sim), must have a campaign mode and must have controller support. Easy, eh?

Hmm, no controller support though? What's Xpadder like these days for analogue motion mapping?

It does mouse emulation, so if you can bind your control inputs to the mouse then that might be a workaround. I've got Blazing Angels on the 360 so I can't test it with that game, though.

Seeing as it's a 360 game I'd expect that the PC version would actually support the 360 controller just fine, even if the box isn't ticked. I would understand if you didn't want to pay £12 only to find out it doesn't, of course.

Edit: just did a quick search and found this: http://forum.notebookreview.com/gaming-software-graphics-cards/359814-blazing-angels-control-issues.html

Look for posts by be77solo.

Have you played around with the config utility that loads outside the game? Steam on mine actually launches to it first, then play from there. You can completely remap and bind any setting to any key, button, or axis, and it works fantastic with the 360 controller.

[...]

it comes with the game. go to the main game directory, and you'll see "SettingApplication.exe" It gives you the option to change options, including fully mapping both Player 1 and Player 2 control settings. Can change what axis does what, map any button or key, etc.

[...]

All I did was plug in my 360 controller, ran the setup program, enabled joystick, and ran through the default joystick column and configured them how I like.

I use the left stick for pitch and roll, right stick for rudder and throttle, and all other buttons setup as for the 360 version. Pitch is variable just like it should be, along with roll, yaw and throttle. Only slight issue is "turn left" and "turn right", as it's a combined rudder and aileron, but still works fine. It's labeled as Z axis.

Pitch up and down simply show up as "stick down" and "stick up" respectively. (and to confirm, it is the left stick, and is fully proportional)

Plus, when the game loads, all buttons are shown as the 360 buttons, just like on the xbox version. Works absolutely perfect.

Any idea what it was called?

Likely Wings of Prey which is the PC version of IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey that came out on the consoles. Only played a couple of hours but seem to recall it was decent, worked with the 360 controller and towards the arcade end of the spectrum.

It has a demo available.

IL-2 Sturmovik is still the benchmark flight sim for me and it does have very scaleable realism/difficulty stuff (you can turn off basically every physics/flight model thing individually, and even make your plane invulnerable if you really want to) but it is pretty long in the tooth now. And I wouldn't recommend playing it without a joystick, even if you've got it on its arcadiest settings.

It does mouse emulation, so if you can bind your control inputs to the mouse then that might be a workaround. I've got Blazing Angels on the 360 so I can't test it with that game, though.

Seeing as it's a 360 game I'd expect that the PC version would actually support the 360 controller just fine, even if the box isn't ticked. I would understand if you didn't want to pay £12 only to find out it doesn't, of course.

[snip]

Likely Wings of Prey which is the PC version of IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey that came out on the consoles. Only played a couple of hours but seem to recall it was decent, worked with the 360 controller and towards the arcade end of the spectrum.

It has a demo available.

Awesome responses from both, cheers. Have some pozzes.

I don't know, £3.49 for the Missing Link actually being integrated into the story, rather than being played as a standalone, doesn't seem too bad to me, plus NewGame+ should be fun (and any improvements to the boss fights are welcome when considering a replay), and I do like commentaries...

Really? I'm pretty sure I didn't have anywhere near all of the upgrades by the end (but then, I never had that pre-release DLC that gave you a load of money to start with). But yes, the idea of playing through the first half of the game as a godlike mech is one which appeals for a replay.

Edit: Damn it RJ, don't make it look like I'm talking to myself :P

Oh, the other thing I'm looking forward to: getting to play the Tracer Tong pre-release DLC which I also didn't have access to.

Well, I didn't know about DXHR:DC upgrade so thanks for that. Little bit disappointed that they didn't do what seems to have been done with Steam versions of Arkham City though, ie; give the people who bought the DLC a free GOTY complete version to go into their Steam library. Still, £3.49 isn't too onerous a price I guess.

Steambros, it's that time of the month again where PCG bestow upon me loads of codes for stuff I don't want, so if anyone wants any of the following, shoot me a PM. One per person in the interests of fairness.

Indie Royale six game bundle

Really Big Sky

A free plane in War Thunder

<div>

<p>Have spare keys :</p>

<p> </p>

<p> </p>

<p><strike>sword of the stars : complete collection</strike></p>

<p> </p>

<p><strike>aquanox</strike></p>

<p> </p>

<p><strike>painkiller : overdose</strike></p>