Steam - UI Overhaul Out Now

Man, I know you only spent a little bit of time with it, but it's anything but bland and generic. It's not gaudy and ridiculously over the top like a lot of generic fantasy games, it's spare, understated. (Although saying that, there are a couple of plain knock-out moments of monumental beauty to be found as well.)

There's a lot of story to be found in those games too, it's just not served to you in cutscenes. The story is in the world, written in its crumbling pathways and told by its inhabitants, if you care to ask. There's a lot to be found in paying attention to the placement of items too, reading their descriptions and finding clues hidden in the environments to puzzle together fragments of the world's history.

It's pretty cool.

Clearly it must improve as it goes on, as my enduring memories are of:

A generic, grey castle

A dark nexusy area

A generic, dark and firey cavern

Some generic, dark corridors up a tower

Some grey generic countryside/ruins

Some sort of murky outdoor area

And then I stopped playing. These are memories from years ago, of course, but the main story the world taught me was that In the Grim Darkness of the Fantasy Universe There Is Only Murky Grimness.

It's not unnecessarily hard, but it is unnecessarily opaque. I'd say that's the real problem many people have, rather than the difficulty per se.

And that seems to be what they're trying to change with Dark Souls II. I don't have a problem with that. For some people, I get the feeling that the inaccessibility is quite a big part of the game, all the investigating, exploring, discovering and piecing together the lore, but I also feel that the amount of people that go to Dark Souls for that is probably only a small percentage. I certainly didn't dig too deep when I was playing it, but I did quite enjoy seeing the fruits of other players dedication on that front. The EpicNameBro videos are so entertaining to watch, crazy amount of investigation and detail.

Deadly Premonition Director's Cut is coming to PC and is on Greenlight.

Boom! Best news all day! Now I can finally get it on the cheap and experience the depraved brilliant work of Swery myself! The Giant Bomb Endurance Run they did for the original version was simply hilarious.

Why is it on Greenlight though?

There seems to be this common misconception that Dark Souls is unnecessarily hard when this couldn't be further from the truth. These days I play a lot of games on easier settings because I can find them too difficult in the later game on higher settings, where often they arbitrarily (and I feel unfairly) increase the difficulty and enemies turn into bullet sponges.

There's none of this with Dark Souls. You almost never die unfairly. There's nothing you can't block or avoid. Everything is designed to be tackled multiple ways. In fact as the game progresses it actually gets easier because your skills and knowledge increase and that's an extremely rewarding experience.

Slow clunky movement? Sure, you can deliberately turn your character into a tank but it's not the only way to play. You can be as agile as you want, it's all down to personal choice. There is nothing in the game forcing you to make a slow character.

The game gives you the freedom to play how you want. It's possible to play the entire game invisible, firing arrows at enemies from a distance.

Here's a video of me tackling one of the bosses with an extremely agile build.

Don't be put off by Dark Souls because you've heard it's punishingly hard, it's not. It just doesn't hold your hand.

Agree with all of this. The game rewards patience and while you cannot get away with windmilling things and expecting to win, you can still make mistakes.

Here's an NG+ video I did of my on 4 Kings. I make plenty of mistakes and still win in the end.

Clearly it must improve as it goes on, as my enduring memories are of:

A generic, grey castle

A dark nexusy area

A generic, dark and firey cavern

Some generic, dark corridors up a tower

Some grey generic countryside/ruins

Some sort of murky outdoor area

And then I stopped playing. These are memories from years ago, of course, but the main story the world taught me was that In the Grim Darkness of the Fantasy Universe There Is Only Murky Grimness.

Well, there's no accounting for taste!

So, anyway, as much as the discussion of Demon's and Dark Souls' respective merits has been fun, there's still been relatively little said on how Dark improves on Demon's, which is kind of what I was hoping to find out ;)

In terms of environments and/or character, aka. the two things which made me get tired of Demon's Souls once I'd beaten the fire-cavern-spider-boss-thing(?) and realised that I had felt no sense of accomplishment and the game wasn't giving me anything to aspire towards that I cared about, is it a significant improvement? Yay or nay?

I'm going through my old humble bundle keys.

Does anyone want Titan Quest and/or Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War?

If you do, quote this post and I'll send you the keys!

THANKS

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War ? Thank you

Not sure if this is old news, but a new standalone version of Sven Co-op is going to be released on Steam, for free. It'll use a custom build of the Half-Life engine and will be supported by updates in the future. (RPS)

I've never played the original so I might try this if enough people are playing. :)

So, anyway, as much as the discussion of Demon's and Dark Souls' respective merits has been fun, there's still been relatively little said on how Dark improves on Demon's, which is kind of what I was hoping to find out ;)

In terms of environments and/or character, aka. the two things which made me get tired of Demon's Souls once I'd beaten the fire-cavern-spider-boss-thing(?) and realised that I had felt no sense of accomplishment and the game wasn't giving me anything to aspire towards that I cared about, is it a significant improvement? Yay or nay?

Yes, but in both games you have to go looking for most of that stuff and work it out for yourself. Dark Souls is significantly better for both those things, mind, but then if you're going to play two levels and stop again then you probably won't find that out!

Pretentious side-note:

If these games have anything to say about anything, it's that any reward you seek from life must be earned the hard way for it to mean anything, and it's only ever equal in value to the work you put into earning it.

This is a trite thing to say (it's obviously true) but just knowing it to be true is different to understanding it, and these games take the unique element of the videogame medium - the player's responsibility for making progress happen rather than having it happen automatically - and, rather than shying away from that and delivering an easy-to-follow progression with some illusion of challenge to keep things interesting, they create worlds that challenge the player at every step.

They challenge the player not just to overcome a well-defined problem as happens in a lot of other renowned "hard" games, but to actually work out what the problem is in the first place and what the best approaches might be, and they provide all the tools needed to improve and expand and develop one's understanding, but never offer much guidance beyond "this is basically what this tool does" (once you've found the tool, of course!) and "go ahead, if you think you can succeed". They use this approach to deliver a very specific picture of the world, and specifically of the necessity of working to achieve anything, of adapting to overcome obstacles, in ways that other media aren't able to do, because those other media (and in fact most other games) can only ever show you and tell you about these things - they can't ever force you to learn them and incorporate them into your sense of self before they let you move on.

For me it's this, rather than the ingenious world design (and it is definitely ingenious, especially in Dark Souls) or the well-built game mechanics (and they are definitely well-built, in both games) or any sense of fun (and for me these games definitely delivered plenty of fun and enjoyment alongside the struggling), is what elevates these games from being entertainment to being art.

Yes, but in both games you have to go looking for most of that stuff and work it out for yourself. Dark Souls is significantly better for both those things, mind, but then if you're going to play two levels and stop again then you probably won't find that out!

Pretentious side-note:

If these games have anything to say about anything, it's that any reward you seek from life must be earned the hard way for it to mean anything, and it's only ever equal in value to the work you put into earning it.

This is a trite thing to say (it's obviously true) but just knowing it to be true is different to understanding it, and these games take the unique element of the videogame medium - the player's responsibility for making progress happen rather than having it happen automatically - and, rather than shying away from that and delivering an easy-to-follow progression with some illusion of challenge to keep things interesting, they create worlds that challenge the player at every step.

They challenge the player not just to overcome a well-defined problem as happens in a lot of other renowned "hard" games, but to actually work out what the problem is in the first place and what the best approaches might be, and they provide all the tools needed to improve and expand and develop one's understanding, but never offer much guidance beyond "this is basically what this tool does" (once you've found the tool, of course!) and "go ahead, if you think you can succeed". They use this approach to deliver a very specific picture of the world, and specifically of the necessity of working to achieve anything, of adapting to overcome obstacles, in ways that other media aren't able to do, because those other media (and in fact most other games) can only ever show you and tell you about these things - they can't ever force you to learn them and incorporate them into your sense of self before they let you move on.

For me it's this, rather than the ingenious world design (and it is definitely ingenious, especially in Dark Souls) or the well-built game mechanics (and they are definitely well-built, in both games) or any sense of fun (and for me these games definitely delivered plenty of fun and enjoyment alongside the struggling), is what elevates these games from being entertainment to being art.

Hey, I played six levels, thank you very much! I may not have beaten four of them, but I did actually try them out.

Still, as again your focus is on the merits it shares with Demon's Souls - the merits which don't do much for me (as stated, my issue isn't that the game is hard, but that I didn't feel rewarded for the effort as what I achieved felt hollow - I'm shallow, and want to be rewarded with pretty things, or narrative benefits, or at the very least feeling like I'm mastering a skillset, rather than just learning patterns to take advantage of), I don't think I'll be giving Dark Souls a go.

Then you gave it a fair shot.

The Souls games are easily in my top games of the ever list. It's a long time since I've been as obsessed with a game as Dark Souls. Slowly picking through the world, mastering the combat, replaying the game with different builds, learning to minmax a class and boost damage further with some risk/reward gear choices, learning PvP, trying out a SL1 run, getting caught up in the lore, helping people via coop and the thread on RLLMUK etc etc.

And I still haven't got 1000 points in it.

Sorry, clarified what I meant - I got to the boss of the caverns that I defeated, and the boss of the... outdoor valley thing? He was some sort of giant twisty thing. The place with all the ghosts(?) was the only level I made no headway in whatsoever.

Apologies for veering off topic, but this latter half of the sale has been pretty shite hasn't it. Even seeing new games pop in the "x cards available" list on the badges page was quite exciting, but that's dried up now too. Wonder if a week would be a better running time for something like this, given how often deals run week in week out anyway?

Apologies for veering off topic, but this latter half of the sale has been pretty shite hasn't it. Even seeing new games pop in the "x cards available" list on the badges page was quite exciting, but that's dried up now too. Wonder if a week would be a better running time for something like this, given how often deals run week in week out anyway?

God, take it to the Steam thread, not the Souls... oh.

Personally, I'm enjoying the latter half of the sale, but that's largely because it's seen the reappearance of games I missed in the dailies early on. It's generally how the sales run, and I think it makes some sense - allows people chances to pick up games they missed earlier on, but also allows games which may have passed under the radar at first, then gained some traction following their initial sale, to reel in new punters the second time around. I certainly benefited from that with Surgeon Simulator, for example.

I think the sales been pretty average full stop, obviously there's still great deals but it all feels very predictable. Looking at the current dailies, GTA IV, Tropico, Deus Ex, Batman and Mount & Blade have been dailies or special sales so many times, by now I'd like to see those prices being the normal sale price and new games being featured in the daily deals.

Also the problem that some games are more expensive, I actually bought GTA complete £4.99 17 July 2012, so it's a repeat of exactly a year a go but more expensive.

Whilst I do like the trading cards, I'm a collector/hoarder at heart so they satisfy that need they're rubbish to build a sale around. All you need to do is idle in games, buy/trade a few cards and then you get a badge, yay. The achievement sales where much more fun, it got you playing the games then there where prizes, even if it's just a TF2 hat or some cheap DLC it's better than a badge.

Yeah I didn't get on with Demons's' 'Souls myself. I tried it for a while on PS3 but as soon as I entered the second world and couldn't even get passed the first enemy (some sort of man-witch spewing green shit) I thought err... fuck it. There's difficulty in games and then there's torture. I just didn't find it any fun really.

Maybe I'll get Dark Souls II when that comes out but eh... In my opinion, I find Super Meatboy, Binding of Isaac, Hotline Miami and games like Bayonetta much more rewarding in that sense. They can get brutally difficult but you know there's a particular rule set in place. Whenever you fail it's completely your own fault. Not due to some fucking troll of an AI or a level designer that thought it'd be fun to mess with the player. Hell, I haven't even mentioned the Black Phantoms or whatever they're called, which are people who invade your game just to fuck with you. No thanks.

Dungeon crawlers are great and all but I didn't find the 'dying is part of the game!' any fun.

EDIT: Same goes for Rogue Legacy. I haven't tried it mind you but what's so fun about this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvgOwKnEKsE

Dying over and over again just because you weren't pixel perfect with your movement? I'm a humanbeing goddamnit! My life has value!

Disclaimer: These are just my two cents. I appreciate the fact that there are games which are incredibly hard and that there's an audience for said games. Everyone wins! Well, except for me... I lose. Every. Single. Time.

That's a vid of the final boss you tit, it's just the same as Binding of Isaac really except with if anything more structure.