Steam - UI Overhaul Out Now

Did you guys all play Dear Esther with the subtitles on? I'm not about to claim it was the finest poetic work this side of Modernism or anything, but I really didn't have a problem with the narration once I turned them off (I did find the subtitles annoying while I had them on for the first five minutes). If you just wander around and let whatever bits of talking happen to make an impression on you stick, then I think it works really well.

With all the res and fov and r_anamorphic faffing about with Bloodlines I'm not sure if, at 1680x1050, it's all a little stretched vertically. Are there any good screens of how it's actually supposed to look?

Hmm I'm getting this error trying to start Vampire The Masquerade.

"Available memory less than 15mb 560562176"

Anyone know if the patch tssk linked to fixes it? I'm downloading it now. Blinking pc gaming!

Mr Gerbik has since sorted you out but the first time I tried to play Bloodlines it was fresh out of the box....just plain refused to work. I got that error as well.

With the patch though? Runs about as well as Fallout 3/New Vegas. That is to say every so often it will crash out on you (once maybe every second play session) but it's pretty solid otherwise.

Anyone else thinking of playing Vampire, the patch is easy, you run an .exe and it fixes everything for you!

The one problem I had is that the patch instructions say launch the game once before applying it, so I copied some dlls out of the patch bin directory to get it to launch once at least. Not sure I see the point of having to do that, but whatever.

Community: Galactic Civilizations II: Ultimate Edition £3.24

New vote is Mirror's Edge, Just Cause 2 and L.A. Noire all 75% off

Flash is Trine 2 £2.99 6hrs, also Trine for £1.74 and Dead Island £6.79 8hrs.

I do hope the daily deals today are new and not the usual recaps.

Did you guys all play Dear Esther with the subtitles on? I'm not about to claim it was the finest poetic work this side of Modernism or anything, but I really didn't have a problem with the narration once I turned them off (I did find the subtitles annoying while I had them on for the first five minutes). If you just wander around and let whatever bits of talking happen to make an impression on you stick, then I think it works really well.

Off or on the writing is terrible. Like a D grade GCSE English Lit student writing poetry to his unrequited love. It's such a shame, as the story it has to tell and how it tells it is very intriguing. I'd like to see a mod where the narration is cut out altogether, or redone by someone with literary skill.

Added the trine series to my list. Had a look at garry's mod cos I wasn't sure what it was; then saw that it was bundled with counter-strike: source at £3.74, when CS on its own was about twice as much. Glad I checked: bought!

Off or on the writing is terrible. Like a D grade GCSE English Lit student writing poetry to his unrequited love. It's such a shame, as the story it has to tell and how it tells it is very intriguing. I'd like to see a mod where the narration is cut out altogether, or redone by someone with literary skill.

I guess either I totally disagree and think people are being overly judgemental about it for some reason I've not grasped, or maybe just for me the stuff it was trying was interesting enough that I wasn't bothered by whatever mis-steps there were in the line-by-line detail. Either that or I have a much higher threshold for the stuff you're finding objectionable!

Daily Deals

Jagged Alliance Back in Action £7.49

Double FIne Bundle £5.74

Bioshock pack £6.98

Bastion £2.86

Operation Flashpoint complete £8.74

Indie Bundle XI £6.99 World of Goo, Star Ruler, Hydrophobia, Orion, Waveform

SPAZ £1.74

FM 2012 £4.99

Tom Clancy Pack £29.99

Flash Deals

The Witcher 2 £11.99 W1 £1.74 10hrs

Portal 2 £3.74 8hrs

Daily Deals

Jagged Alliance Back in Action £7.49

Double FIne Bundle £5.74

Bioshock pack £6.98

Bastion £2.86

Operation Flashpoint complete £8.74

Indie Bundle XI £6.99 World of Goo, Star Ruler, Hydrophobia, Orion, Waveform

SPAZ £1.74

FM 2012

Flash Deals

The Witcher 2 £11.99 W1 £1.74

Not showing for me.

Not showing for me.

They show for me as the announcement when you log in, but not on the main page.

You can search for them though.

Think I'm safe in the last day (Other than Lego Batman which is £13 in the "normal" sale I was waiting for better on)

Final Steam Summer 2012 Haul:-

2.99 – Trine 2

3.74 – Two Worlds 2 DLC

4.24 – Grotesque Tactics 2

5.19 – Ys Origin

3.39 – Ys The Oath in Felgahana

14.99 – Civ 5 DLC – Gods and Kings

3.74 – Tropico 4 DLC

4.99 – Yesterday

4.99 – GTA Complete pack

1.49 – Trials 2

1.74 - Dear Ester

4.85 – Dungeon Defenders DLC

5.49 – Jurassic Park

2.86 - Stacking

9.49 – Crusader Kings 2 Complete Pack

3.74 – Risen

Total:- £78ish

Gifts from Jonster:-

Legend of Grimrock

Tropico 4

Are you the santas boyfriend who used to post at cook'd and bomb'd and who I briefly met at glastonbury one year? I've a feeling I've asked you this before :lol:

No, although I did lurk there a long time ago when they were assembling decent-quality versions of the Chris Morris R1 music show and the like :)

The final deals aren't very exciting (for me, anyway). Then again, I've definitely spent more than I intended to over the course of the sale so maybe that's not such a bad thing...

So, this is the last day, the traditional time to scoop up those bits that didn't show in a daily so what are folk looking at?

For me, Waves (http://store.steampo...1_7_suggest__13) at 70% off. Basically, you can't buy Geom Wars 2 for PC so this is a close approximation. Will probably give that a punt.

NBA 2k12 (http://store.steampo...1_7_suggest__13) at 50% off but I suspect I'll be very much alone in wanting this having sunk 70+ hours into 2k11.

MLB 2k11 (http://store.steampo...1_7_suggest__13) at 50% off. Last Summer Sale I bought the aforementioned NBA game on a whim and it turned into one of the best games I've ever played in any genre. I'll give this one a punt.

What are you looking at that I might have overlooked?

Is Jagged Alliance any good? I have very fond memories of the earlier games.. how does this latest compare. Can't say I've seen any reviews ( which should say it all really).

Other than that looks like I'm safe.. Unless Sim City 4 pops back up as a flash sale.

The only thing I've scooped up has been the Deus Ex DLC, as I'm about to give it another playthrough and figured I might like to play The Missing Link. There are other things I'd like, but I've already spent more than I can justify this sale, so I'm going to ignore them.