Steam - UI Overhaul Out Now

Can anyone tell me a bit more about Machinarium?. I don't tend to keep up to date with any mac/pc games but noticed it's only £2.24 after 85% off. I'm not that great with puzzle games but the i'm enjoying playing through ilomilo and Limbo on the 360.

thanks

Can anyone tell me a bit more about Machinarium?. I don't tend to keep up to date with any mac/pc games but noticed it's only £2.24 after 85% off. I'm not that great with puzzle games but the i'm enjoying playing through ilomilo and Limbo on the 360.

thanks

It's a point and click adventure game, in the same vein as Monkey Island or Sam and Max, though slightly more contained. A series of screens, beautifully handdrawn, with clever puzzles (all fairly logical rather than needlessly wacky and weird) and an affecting and cute little story to go with it. It's great for children as there is little on screen text, and it has a two stage hint system, one which gives you a general hint for the screen and the other (after a little minigame) that tells you step by step what to do. In fact, even if you're crap at puzzle games and keep getting stuck it's still quite fun to play through anyway. Recommended, and a steal for that price (though it has appeared in a PWYW Indie Bundle this year with 5 other games).

thanks

It's an old school styled adveture game where you solve puzzles by combining objects you've picked up and\or interacting with on-screen objects. It has a lot of charm, and most puzzles are fairly logic. The art style is fantastic, and at the reduced price, it's a steal even if you don't like it :P

Edit: Hah, beaten by cavalcade :P

From what I remember, NWN2 sort of falls apart towards the end - or rather, it just ends, abruptly. Mask of the Betrayer, the first expansion, continues from exactly that moment however, and does a lot of interesting RPG stuff apparently.

Well, at the reduced price today, I couldn't resist :P Now I've added more to my "too many games to complete" pile I've been growing since, well, always.

Ugh... I am not enjoying Alpha Protocol so far. The computer hacking mini-game is by far the most shit thing I've ever been subjected too, for those who've not encountered it it is essentially a word search done against the clock. However instead of words they use alpha numeric codes and instead of a static grid of letters and numbers they have a grid of constantly changing symbols where the codes you're looking for are the only static thing. The developers obviously thought this wasn't screwing with you enough already though so they decided that every 10 seconds if you'd not found the two codes they'd move them somewhere else. The problem here though is that it isn't a quick and simple process of informing the game you've found the code. They decided to map one code to your mouse and the other to the WASD keys. The mouse is jittery and at turns either overly or under responsive meaning in a rush to get the code overlapping on the grid you can easily mis-click setting off an alarm, while movement on the WASD keys is so slow that you rarely have time to move the code over to the correct place before it's bloody moved somewhere else!

Don't even get me started on the checkpoint system... All this and I'm only on the opening mission, I don't think I can face it. Guys, tell me, can I just go in all guns blazing with this 'cause I am losing patience fast with trying to use stealth.

Ugh... I am not enjoying Alpha Protocol so far. The computer hacking mini-game is by far the most shit thing I've ever been subjected too, for those who've not encountered it it is essentially a word search done against the clock. However instead of words they use alpha numeric codes and instead of a static grid of letters and numbers they have a grid of constantly changing symbols where the codes you're looking for are the only static thing. The developers obviously thought this wasn't screwing with you enough already though so they decided that every 10 seconds if you'd not found the two codes they'd move them somewhere else. The problem here though is that it isn't a quick and simple process of informing the game you've found the code. They decided to map one code to your mouse and the other to the WASD keys. The mouse is jittery and at turns either overly or under responsive meaning in a rush to get the code overlapping on the grid you can easily mis-click setting off an alarm, while movement on the WASD keys is so slow that you rarely have time to move the code over to the correct place before it's bloody moved somewhere else!

Don't even get me started on the checkpoint system... All this and I'm only on the opening mission, I don't think I can face it. Guys, tell me, can I just go in all guns blazing with this 'cause I am losing patience fast with trying to use stealth.

Stick with it, at least until you've done a couple 'proper' missions. Either you'll thank me for that advice, or you'll try and hunt me down and rape me :P

Plug in a 360 gamepad if you have it. Seems like the minigames were made entirely around that control scheme and that game is so much better when you realise that. I was having pretty much the same problem you were.

Just found a great little program Steam Mover allows you to move steam games to other drives but it sorts out all the links so they carry on working normally. It also works for other folders, so currently just moving my non steam games to another HDD to free up some space.

• Upvote 9

Just found a great little program Steam Mover allows you to move steam games to other drives but it sorts out all the links so they carry on working normally. It also works for other folders, so currently just moving my non steam games to another HDD to free up some space.

Wow, that's great. I honestly hope that this will be a native Steam feature in the very near future.

Wow, that's great. I honestly hope that this will be a native Steam feature in the very near future.

Indeed, it's the feature I want to see more than any, but people have been asking for a few years now for it but still nothing. I can see more and more demanding it though after they've been through a few sales, just checked and I've downloaded close to 90 gig so far and I bet I'm not the only one that has a collection of HDDs that they'd like to make use of.

Oh you star!

Just noticed after installing loads of crap in the last few days my HDD space had plummeted. :hat:

I honestly hope that this will be a native Steam feature in the very near future.

My suspicion is that they haven't done it because creating a sensible UI for such functionality is tricky.

Windows Explorer doesn't have support for junction points/hard links/symlinks for the exact same reason.

Yes, there is. Two ways of doing it:

For the first you need to start a campaign, then go to the menu. There'll be an 'options' bit there, where you can change the volume.

The second requires a bit more digging, but is what I recommend since it'll let you change the resolution too. For some reason the Steam release kind of hides the fact that AoD comes with a launcher - it's still included but you need to open the game folder (Steam/steamapps/etc) and locate Arsenal.exe (not AODGame.exe). Run that, and you can change the resolution (highly recommended), set it to skip intros, and disable music. You only need to set all that once and play it and then it'll retain your settings when you launch the game without going through the launcher.

• Upvote 2

Wonderful, thankyou.

If anyone knows how to change the resolution for STALKER Call of Pripyat from outside of the game I'd be interested in that too. I play with my PC connected to a HDTV, and it doesn't support whatever the default resolution is, there also doesn't seem to be any ini file or configuration tool in the folder.

New Deals

Sim City 4 £2.49

IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946 £4.99

Doom complete £4.99

Dirt 2 £3.74

King's Bounty Platimu, edition £7.49

Crysis £2.49 Warhead £4.24 Complete £6.24

ARMA II: Operation Arrowhead £9.99 (£7.99 if you own ARMA II)

Global Agenda £4.99

Lost Horizon £9.99

Mount and Blade complete £7.49 Mount and Blade £3.74 Warband £4.99

RUSH £1.18

Section 8 £1.99

ProtoGalaxy £1.74

Just used this and moved 40Gb off games. Cheers mate. Saints row 2 I've never played and that takes up nearly 12gb.

Exact same thing happened to me recently. Got to the first hack,, fucked it up a few times, and turned it off.

Shame as I thought it looked interesting but I'll get back to it at some point.

Wonderful, thankyou.

If anyone knows how to change the resolution for STALKER Call of Pripyat from outside of the game I'd be interested in that too. I play with my PC connected to a HDTV, and it doesn't support whatever the default resolution is, there also doesn't seem to be any ini file or configuration tool in the folder.

Isn't there like a settings box that pops up when you run the game? Where you can set the resolution etc? It's been a while since I've played it.

Is Mount&Blade: Warband much of an improvement over the original?

Yes. For the multiplayer alone it is. A lot of the mod support has carried over too, I haven't touched the original M&B for ages now.

Either way, I'd get it for the multiplayer, it really is great fun. :)

edit-

And JPR, SimCity 4 works fine but you may have some problems with running it in OpenGL mode (I think ATI cards have a few graphical glitches). It supports software mode, and though it doesn't look as good, you'll at least be able to play the game. :) Fwiw, I managed to get it working perfect on my ATI 5850 a few months ago.

edit-

And JPR, SimCity 4 works fine but you may have some problems with running it in OpenGL mode (I think ATI cards have a few graphical glitches). It supports software mode, and though it doesn't look as good, you'll at least be able to play the game. :) Fwiw, I managed to get it working perfect on my ATI 5850 a few months ago.

Good to hear, think I'll likely pick it up then. I did think I actually had it but after checking seems it's SC3K I've got, so more reason to get it.