rllmuk
choddo

Steam - UI Overhaul Out Now

Is it possible to buy a game you already have as a gift for someone else?  I want to get Rise of the Tomb Raider  but I don't seem to be able to purchase for a friend. This is from the website 

318572450_Annotation2020-05-22183834.thumb.png.673d6789c977134a69b1072904bd0328.png

6 hours ago, crocked said:

Is it possible to buy a game you already have as a gift for someone else?  I want to get Rise of the Tomb Raider  but I don't seem to be able to purchase for a friend. This is from the website 

Yes, add it to the cart, then when you go to the cart there will be an option to buy it as a gift.

• Upvote 1

Problem is I can't add it to the cart as it only gives me the option to complete my collection for any options I can add to basket. In the section where it says buy as a gift for a friend I can only download a demo as you can see in the screenshot. I checked on Fallout new Vegas and there it looks fine as you say (i.e. I could purchase it for a friend) so it must be specific to Shadow of Tomb Raider perhaps because it wants me to buy the full collection. In any case I gave a gift card now which solves the problem. Thanks for the help.

Anyone manage to get launching GTAV from Epic Games Store over Steam Link working with controllers? Edge case as all fuck, but I can launch a Control from a Epic Games Store fine via a shortcut and the controller works.

19 minutes ago, crocked said:

Problem is I can't add it to the cart as it only gives me the option to complete my collection for any options I can add to basket. In the section where it says buy as a gift for a friend I can only download a demo as you can see in the screenshot. I checked on Fallout new Vegas and there it looks fine as you say (i.e. I could purchase it for a friend) so it must be specific to Shadow of Tomb Raider perhaps because it wants me to buy the full collection. In any case I gave a gift card now which solves the problem. Thanks for the help.

See what you mean now, there's only the option to buy the upgrade for myself.

Because they've turned the normal version into a personalised bundle for the definitive version you can't gift it via Steam.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, crocked said:

Yeah you should have got something looking like this

image.png.4f53eb27b92b1ef47a486b96abc18405.png

Does anyone know if changing the region and language settings on your PC (though not on Steam itself) can affect your Steam games? I needed the region to be Japan to get a certain (non-Steam) game displaying text correctly. I've changed the settings back to UK/English and found that I've suddenly lost some save data, and one game (Elminage) is now displaying some Japanese text. Any idea what I've messed up?

1 hour ago, Qazimod said:

The *checks notes* “Steam Game Festival: Summer Edition” has begun, and will run until the 22nd. Demos, live-streams and dev chats will feature.

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/gamefestival

like the snowtopia demo enough to wishlist.

now onto downloading grounded so that I'm properly prepared to snark when it hits early access.

23 minutes ago, footle said:

like the snowtopia demo enough to wishlist.

now onto downloading grounded so that I'm properly prepared to snark when it hits early access.

And it's not what I expected at all. Much more interested than I was ten minutes ago.

Haven had a demo a while back but my PC didn't like it - however, this one seems to run for me. It's quite short but it gives players a bit of exploration, collecting and combat. :) I can see the "cleaning" of environments  being satisfying over the course of the game...

I clicked thinking there would be discounts or something but the steam sale is next week!

If you like games such as Rhythm Tengoku / Rhythm Heaven, have a look at the Rhythm Doctor demo. The goal is to press a button on the seventh beat of each bar, but each stage has various surprises that make that slightly trickier than it sounds. :) 

• Upvote 1

Summer sale now on. Nothing grabbed my interest. With so many competing delivery platforms offering great sales lately it's tough for Steam to stand out.

To be fair, the "items from your Steam wishlist are on sale!" emails might be more enticing if I'd bothered to update my wishlist in the last 8 years. When I've already bought F1 2015 for £1.51 through an Amazon misprice when it was the current year's F1 game, I'm not likely to get excited over F1 2011 for £2.49.

Bought Picrastination (which I feel moderately bad about cos it was only a fiver in the first place) and The Yellow King which is some sort of Lovecraftian dungeon crawler mmo and probably not a busy one given its 75% off.

Grabbed the complete Telltale Batman for €7.

Also Titanfall 2 at €10 is tempting.

Anyone still using a Steam Link? I finally got mine set up after five years or whatever and played through all of Control with it. 1080p60 with minimal issues, and although video encoding never handles red well it managed okay in this extremely red game. 9/10 would play PC games on the big TV again.

Wonder why they discontinued it, it's superb. I guess the Steam Link app on Android TV will do the same but there's so few cheap dongles for it.

• Upvote 1

I love my Steam Link and use it daily (in combination with the Steam Controller). I was considering a Shield to replace it but.... £150ish!

• Upvote 2

Mine never really got on with my PowerLine network (although it could be also be my older processor) but will try it again when I've upgraded. Having said that, now that the PC is in the same room as the TV I should probably just get a long HDMI cable instead.

17 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Bought Picrastination (which I feel moderately bad about cos it was only a fiver in the first place) and The Yellow King which is some sort of Lovecraftian dungeon crawler mmo and probably not a busy one given its 75% off.

Refunded Yellow King. Redefining the controls was a nightmare and the support pages showed the controls aren't great once you do get to redefine them (mouse turn isn't on by default and I couldn't remap strafe to the left stick when I tried the pad) and, to be perfectly frank, life's too fucking short.

5 hours ago, RipePlums said:

I love my Steam Link and use it daily (in combination with the Steam Controller). I was considering a Shield to replace it but.... £150ish!

* Raises hand 

Steam controller lover here :wub:

• Upvote 1

Im back to the master race. I built the usual 3600 with 5700xt and 16GB.

Looking for a  "launch" game for my new PC on the steam sale.

What game could showcase it nicely? I was thinking of Titanfall maybe? Played RDR2 on the PS4.

4 hours ago, daifuco said:

Im back to the master race. I built the usual 3600 with 5700xt and 16GB.

Looking for a  "launch" game for my new PC on the steam sale.

What game could showcase it nicely? I was thinking of Titanfall maybe? Played RDR2 on the PS4.

Wolfenstein: Youngblood isn't meant to be amazing but a) is on sale and b) has good RTX. 

Control is a cracking choice, but don't think it's on sale particularly cheap? £31 on Humble. 

Ok. Question.  Whenever I used my steam link I would have to go log onto my pc. Even if I was logged on and it was asleep, waking it up wouldn’t be enough. I’d have to log in and then I’d be able to ccesss big picture mode.  What am I doing wrong.  I always assumed that the steam link would wake up a sleeping pc and then stream from it without any interactions needed around windows log in on the KC or the steam link.  

I've always found the PC has to be unlocked and at least running steam.

• Upvote 1

Is anyone having issues buying things from Steam? I'm trying to buy Yakuza 0 through paypal and it keeps coming up with errors.

2 hours ago, rafaqat said:

Ok. Question.  Whenever I used my steam link I would have to go log onto my pc. Even if I was logged on and it was asleep, waking it up wouldn’t be enough. I’d have to log in and then I’d be able to ccesss big picture mode.  What am I doing wrong.  I always assumed that the steam link would wake up a sleeping pc and then stream from it without any interactions needed around windows log in on the KC or the steam link.  

Same issue. And if I try to use the Steam Link keyboard to enter the password it crashes the Steam Link and I need to restart it. A minor annoyance but my PC is at one end of my flat and the living room is at the other.

• Upvote 1