rllmuk
choddo

Steam - UI Overhaul Out Now

On 13/12/2019 at 14:42, Dudley said:

Wow is it that bad? 80% off inside 2 months?

It's actually really fun and looks lovely, but it's really boilerplate. I respect it's lean simplistic approach to the career mode. I flipped back into Forza 4 this morning and density of the options and menu's made me nauseous.

Well worth a tenner.

• Upvote 1

I have a code for Europa Universalis IV,  PM me if you would like it. Well I'm pretty sure I do, but I blindly put it into Steam then noticed I'd played it for 45mins, assume it didn't eat it.

Also don't forget Steam Secret Santa, few more days to sign up still and all are welcome.

• Upvote 2

Disco Elysium has a few quid off at £27.99.

Epic Store has an arguably better deal - a tenner voucher to spend. That means you can get Outer Wilds, the best game of 2019, for £9.99. 

NOT OUTER WORLDS.

• Upvote 2

Blimey, getting a Dualshock 4 to work on PC is tricky. I haven't had to do this much work since setting IRQ numbers on my Soundblaster.

Got it working on DS4Windows but it kept disconnecting. Found out that DS4W had been replaced by Input Mapper but that kept throwing up weird error messages all the time. Then found out there was actually another, better version of DS4W which connects fine (so far) but suddenly made the left stick move on its own in a way I wasn't sure how to fix. Reinstalled everything and it now seems to work.

As for Steam, it still thinks the controller is a 360 one, even though I've seen pictures of it recognising DS4s. No idea why.

2 hours ago, simms said:

I thought Steam recognised all mainstream console controllers by default now. Weird

It's a nice controller otherwise. Wanted something wireless otherwise I'd still be using my DS3. Still need to get used to the different way to hold the triggers, though.

I might just pick up a XB1 pad when it's on sale as well. I still use my 360 but the rubber has come off the sticks and it drifts a tiny bit. Still love it, though.

4 hours ago, James Lyon said:

Blimey, getting a Dualshock 4 to work on PC is tricky. I haven't had to do this much work since setting IRQ numbers on my Soundblaster.

Got it working on DS4Windows but it kept disconnecting. Found out that DS4W had been replaced by Input Mapper but that kept throwing up weird error messages all the time. Then found out there was actually another, better version of DS4W which connects fine (so far) but suddenly made the left stick move on its own in a way I wasn't sure how to fix. Reinstalled everything and it now seems to work.

As for Steam, it still thinks the controller is a 360 one, even though I've seen pictures of it recognising DS4s. No idea why.

This is because DS4W is running in the background and interfering. As simms says Steam will pick it up no problem. Disable / uninstall DS4W and try again (maybe a reboot?).

Also, Input Mapper is based on an old fork of DS4W. A newer, improved version of DS4W was released last week on github - https://github.com/Ryochan7/DS4Windows/releases/tag/v2.0.0

I've not tried it myself yet, but you shouldn't need it unless you're playing non-Steam stuff / emulators.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Lyrical Donut said:

I've not tried it myself yet, but you shouldn't need it unless you're playing non-Steam stuff / emulators.

I've read you can pass games in other services like Origin through Steam. If that works, I'm golden.

1 hour ago, CovisGod said:

Back once again (with that Ill behaviour)

Same rules mateys, only ask for a code if you actually want to play the game, if not leave it for someone who wants to give it a go. First person to PM time wise gets the code and if there’s a couple you want feel free to state two in case your main choice has gone....

Goooooooooo!

Shadow Of The Tomb Raider - @Gizamaluke

Blasphemous

Ancestors Legacy

Phantom Doctrine
Dead in Vinland

Horizon Chase Turbo

Dark Future - Blood Red States

X-Morph - Defense

Aegis Defenders

Desert Child

Also if anyone wants to “Pre Order” either of the following from next months Humble Bundle let me know as I already have them -

Two Point Hospital

Graveyard Keeper - @spork

I recommend Graveyard Keeper, it’s excellent

Not to knock your generosity @CovisGod but why do you still subscribe to Humble when you don’t to seem to want the games? ;)

I'm not sure if I should post this in AtF or attempt a search but I've realised I've got a load of the steam trading cards and can apparently sell them/ trade them for gems and then sell those? Or some odd combination of the two. 

Either way, what the bloody hell are they all about, is it worth selling them for the 2 or so pence they seem to go for, or try to get more?

Or is any and all of it just a waste of time for what will probably be about a quid in the end?

21 minutes ago, dreamylittledream said:

Not to knock your generosity @CovisGod but why do you still subscribe to Humble when you don’t to seem to want the games? ;)

I see it as my way of giving back to my friends on the forum! That and if one game every 4 months catches my eye I haven’t really lost anything :)

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, b00dles said:

I'm not sure if I should post this in AtF or attempt a search but I've realised I've got a load of the steam trading cards and can apparently sell them/ trade them for gems and then sell those? Or some odd combination of the two. 

Either way, what the bloody hell are they all about, is it worth selling them for the 2 or so pence they seem to go for, or try to get more?

Or is any and all of it just a waste of time for what will probably be about a quid in the end?

I used that card farming program a couple of years back and made about £18 in the background whilst working on other things. I should run it again.

@CovisGod thanks again dude!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CovisGod said:

I see it as my way of giving back to my friends on the forum! That and if one game every 4 months catches my eye I haven’t really lost anything :)

You are exceedingly generous, sir. Though if you don't like the games in a given month now you can just pause your sub, so that one game every four months means you only really need to pay for them.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gizamaluke said:

I used that card farming program a couple of years back and made about £18 in the background whilst working on other things. I should run it again.

Thanks for the response,  forgive me for being lazy but card farming program? 

On the high seas? Google just gives a load of tedious videos about steam and seemingly unrelated shit. 

Or if you're really sad you can sell them to buy the cards you REALLY want so that you can make badges - which you can put on your profile.....

I've NEVER  done that.... 

And you get special Chat smilies! :P

Someone must me buying these cards. Look at any game at all and you'll see something like 3 purchases in the last 24 hours. I always ask why? Do enough people want to complete the set or do people buy these as an investment?

19 hours ago, CovisGod said:

You gifted me Shenmue in November and it became one of my best gaming times of the last half decade - played, completed and loved. <3 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Rob Rule said:

You gifted me Shenmue in November and it became one of my best gaming times of the last half decade - played, completed and loved. <3 

And that’s why I keep paying for Humble even though I do t have time to play any of them, I’m like a gaming Cilla Black, matching forum members with great games :)

• Upvote 5

On 10/01/2020 at 07:50, James Lyon said:

Someone must me buying these cards. Look at any game at all and you'll see something like 3 purchases in the last 24 hours. I always ask why? Do enough people want to complete the set or do people buy these as an investment?

Once you complete a set once you become eligible for free card packs which are created as others turn their sets into badges.

edit : and thanks @CovisGod for the kind gift of Blasphemous!

Edited by Unofficial Who

I'm a bit late discovering this, but...

Steam's approach to game soundtracks has been broken, to put it mildly. It's been treated as downloadable content for its associated game, forcing you to buy the game in question -- and you could forget about having an easy way to manage your collection. Valve is thankfully fixing that experience. It's introducing a "soundtrack" app type that lets you buy soundtracks whether or not you own the core game, manage them in your Steam library and place them in a central music folder instead of scattering them across multiple game directories. Developers can even sell soundtracks when the game isn't available on Steam

https://www.engadget.com/2020/01/08/steam-soundtracks-revamp/

This could be interesting - I always thought the "DLC" approach was a bit bizarre (what about people who own the game on another platform but want the music for their PC?), so having more choice is a good thing.