Steam - UI Overhaul Out Now

2 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

To clarify what Dudley says, you can add any program (be it a game or Chrome or VLC) on your PC to Steam but that's just a shortcut. You're still launching the same program. So if that game needs a disc, it'll still need a disc. And obviously Steam won't do shit with it in terms of stats or updates, it's literally just a shortcut to a game outside Steam.

What we were talking about is activating a game on Steam. Sometimes the developer or publisher of an old game went to the trouble to make old cd keys or even GFWL keys, into valid Steam keys. ie, a key that you enter in Steam to add that game to your account. In that case you don't need the original anymore, because the Steam version is now part of your account, your Steam Library. Which includes updates through Steam, stats, etc.

For instance I bought my copy of Euro Truck Sim 2 in a box but the CD Key from that worked in Steam and I've not needed the disk since.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a feeling I haven't updated my wishlist in months. Then again the PC isn't my primary gaming box so I should find plenty of things by simply browsing. (Also I'll happily spam everywhere to tell people about my favourite games that have been discounted. :P )

6pm edit: looks like the store page was live for all of five seconds before I tried to navigate somewhere and got a connection error :lol: 

7pm edit: my wishlist was up long enough for me to see its discounts, at least. Tempted by 80% off Aaero, 85% off Absolute Drift or maybe 20% off ZeroRanger...

7pm edit 2: picked up ZeroRanger and Aaero!

Is it just me or is this steam sale a bit crap this year? I feel like this was the time for Valve to really stick it to Epic and show their cards. Epic's last sale had a straight up, no-nonsense, £10 off almost anything voucher. Whereas steam's got a "do loads of bullshit in this in-store ARG and you might get enough points to get $5 off one thing before the sale ends" thing.

Borderlands pricing:

Borderlands 2 GOTY = -78%, £7.69

Borderlands the Pre-Sequel + Seasons Pass = -70%, £16.49

Borderlands: The Handsome Collection (all Borderlands 2 and Pre-Sequel EVERYTHING) = -97%, £4.73

A mistake?

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, Wroth said:

Is it just me or is this steam sale a bit crap this year? I feel like this was the time for Valve to really stick it to Epic and show their cards. Epic's last sale had a straight up, no-nonsense, £10 off almost anything voucher. Whereas steam's got a "do loads of bullshit in this in-store ARG and you might get enough points to get $5 off one thing before the sale ends" thing.

Since they stopped doing the timed offers during sales its been lacklustre. It needed kicking in the head because the timed offers were ridiculous and it couldn't be sustainable.

I'll finally pick up Mushihimesama and DoDonPachi seeing as I'm never getting any Cave shooters on Xbox backwards compatibility now. I'd like Sunless Skies but I've only put 4 hours into Sunless Seas. Also quite fancy Demon's Tilt.

I've just had a look at the sale and the stuff round it and I haven't a fucking clue what's going on, at all. Plus I cleared out my wishlist in order to try clear a bug (where it shows a number three higher than is in the wishlist) but that didn't work and I couldn't be bothered repopulating it now I've no clue what I had on there anyway. Can't be arsed. 

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

I'll finally pick up Mushihimesama and DoDonPachi seeing as I'm never getting any Cave shooters on Xbox backwards compatibility now. 

I count this as a plus, but things like the Cave games (and others) haven't seemed to get any cheaper than a set point (£5.99 in the case of Cave games) for quite a long time now so at least we're well past the point of "no point buying it now it'll be a quid cheaper in the next sale" or whatever, which was always a bit silly. Even some games that have, in the past, been on ridiculous sale now don't seem to get as low either. Again, I think that's good though as the sale prices are still more than decent but there's less of a ridiculous race to the bottom involved. Probably less the case for the random shite on there, but I don't care about that. 

10 hours ago, Wroth said:

For some perspective, I've been a Steam user for over 12 years and own about 60 games.

However, this Steam Sale is the first since owning my new PC and scrolling through the sale, finding endless amounts of games to buy for silly prices, reminds me of being a kid and walking into an independent games shop and finding a load of classic games for peanuts.

For myself, I've not been this excited about games in years. :)

• Upvote 4
2 hours ago, carlospie said:

Witcher 3 and borderlands 2 for me. I’m tempted by dmc 5 and monster hunter world too.....

dmc is a tenner cheaper on cdkeys!

aaero is £2 on steam - great game if you like the idea of rez crossed with a rhythm action game.

• 3 weeks later...