rllmuk
choddo

Steam - UI Overhaul Out Now

I'm taking my PC offline for a while and I have been installing some games before doing so. I'm just working through loading them all to make sure the installation is complete and there's no online authentication which might trip me up later, but several of them are installing different versions of DirectX redistributables. Does anyone know if this is going to cause me problems? Or do the different versions they all install sit alongside one another without issue?

They *should* sit happily together. Worth tracking down the SteamCleaner app that clears all the leftovers from those installs. Can come to gigs worth. Can't remember the name and not at the computer.

1 hour ago, earlymodernsteve said:

They *should* sit happily together. Worth tracking down the SteamCleaner app that clears all the leftovers from those installs. Can come to gigs worth. Can't remember the name and not at the computer.

Thanks, I'll take a look. I suppose if I really wanted to be sure I could just unplug and launch each game in turn again, but I might just be too lazy for that!

14 minutes ago, alistarr said:

Thanks, I'll take a look. I suppose if I really wanted to be sure I could just unplug and launch each game in turn again, but I might just be too lazy for that!

You won't have a problem with those DX distributables. Only thing you really should do is go offline in Steam (iirc that's an option) and disconnect completely from the internet. Then try launching a game to make sure offline mode works.

Yup that's been on the wishlist ever since Etalyx streamed that! :lol:*

And now I find out that bloody Hollow Knight has been released?! There are too many games!

52cbb38e0ba55caeab2cfb4cb5192d5d_origina

85ee63e70b446baa907779f78f6690ce_origina

hollow-knight-gameplay.gif

d2d87a736b077ae2f53de7a6ad5b2a2f_origina

I just want to stay at home and play games for the next few months. 

*I laugh but I weep on the inside. No time. No money.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, VN1X said:

I just want to stay at home and play games for the next few months. 

I've just taken a week off and people ask me "oh, going anywhere nice?", I don't have the heart to tell them. :(

• Upvote 5

7 hours ago, El Spatula said:

Hmm. Hollow Knight looks awesome but no reviews at all... Do I jump in. Or do I continue playing Xanadu Next...

It's your favourite new Metroidvania. Of course you jump in!

Shovel Who? (yes I went there)

• Upvote 3

I've played about 6 hours so far and I'm really enjoying it. A couple of minor quibbles but overall it's a really solid fun game.

• Upvote 1

Look just shut up, ok?  I don't need yet another metroidvania.  I mean obviously I do and must have it and I've just bought it but just shut up

• Upvote 6

54 minutes ago, clippa said:

If it makes you feel any better, I played it for an hour or so last night. Wasn't really feeling it to be honest. It looks nice but it feels very hollow.

Hollow eh? <_<

Edited by VN1X
  • Upvote 1

On 2/24/2017 at 23:15, VN1X said:

It's your favourite new Metroidvania. Of course you jump in!

Shovel Who? (yes I went there)

3 hours ago, Mr.Jeff said:

I've played about 6 hours so far and I'm really enjoying it. A couple of minor quibbles but overall it's a really solid fun game.

Actually, thanks a lot for mentioning/recommending this - it's really good.  It's very -Souls inspired but doesn't feel derivative, the art style is lovely and the music's ace.  Enjoying the combat so far as well (although am only 2 hours in).

• Upvote 1

On 24/02/2017 at 16:29, Sie said:

Oh wut? It's a metroidvania?! Added to the wishlist!

I tried having a wishlist, it lasts till the weekend and then I buy everything in it!

as I've just done with Hollow Knight!

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Mentazm said:

Anyone here actually managed to complete sunless sea?

I've come close. My longest surviving captain is on the quest to write the Song of the Zee, and I think she'll manage it with a few more circuits of the entire map, but it's the worst of all the life goals to complete because it has no overarching story associated with it. Not played the game in ages though, so I'm not sure I'll ever actually do it. I think it's a great game though, maybe I'll pick up Zubmariner and start again some day.

8 hours ago, Mentazm said:

Anyone here actually managed to complete sunless sea?

I think I remember @Strategos playing it a lot ages ago. He might have!

Edited by spork

Yeah I picked up zubmariner last weekend and have put 20 hours into it over the weekend. I'm currently trying to create the song of the sea just now myself. It takes a LOT of secrets. You can also steal the Zeppelin or form a new colony iirc. I'm now at 86 hrs played and have yet to finish it once.

I have been invoked ! 

Great great game , I did complete it, if such a thing is possible. I achieved one of the end type goals anyway. 

Is zub mariner up to the same standard ?

• Upvote 3

Is Dirt Showdown any good? Worth a punt for 99p? It got a Eurogamer 8/10, so can't be that bad. If it had trading card support I definitely would :rolleyes:

Edited by artz

I have been invoked ! 

Great great game , I did complete it, if such a thing is possible. I achieved one of the end type goals anyway. 

Is zub mariner up to the same standard ?

Yeah, it's superb. Much more of the same, but even darker if possible.

1 hour ago, artz said:

Is Dirt Showdown any good? Worth a punt for 99p? It got a Eurogamer 8/10, so can't be that bad. If it had trading card support I definitely would :rolleyes:

If you want a free copy I've a spare code. PM me.

• Upvote 5