rllmuk
choddo

Steam - UI Overhaul Out Now

4 hours ago, spork said:

Yeah saw that and had my finger on the button to buy it but then I realised my played hours won't carry over to the full release and as I'm a total OCD nerd when it comes to quantifiable stats I shall wait a bit longer.

Also Dekay gifted me The Witness so I should really devote my time to that first. :P

53 minutes ago, spork said:

It's all fun and games until your 5 people all die because they run out of oxygen :quote:

I just had someone vanish into thin air, I think she might have been going to the loo at literally the instant everyone went to bed.  Suddenly one of the beds was unallocated, no body, nothing.  I wouldn't want to be the guy who has to empty the bog later...

Is there a way of reviewing the history of the notifications in the top left?  

I really recommend Caveblazers, just a solid very satisfying Roguelike - one for the Spelunky crowd. It doesn't do anything crazy innovative and it's not the prettiest but it just works and is fun with some meaty sound effects - certainly worth the £4.

In a similar vain Catacomb Kids is great - takes things to a whole new level of randomness and interactivity, still far from release and Imo a little on the "too difficult" side but it's definitely one to shove on the wishlist.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Retroid said:

I really recommend Caveblazers, just a solid very satisfying Roguelike - one for the Spelunky crowd. It doesn't do anything crazy innovative and it's not the prettiest but it just works and is fun with some meaty sound effects - certainly worth the £4.

Looks like Risk of Rain x Spelunky.

I have some sort of addiction problem with buying games at the moment. After having bought over 9000 games in one Humble Bundle, rather than methodically trying these new games out I just seem to do 2 things:

1. Keep looking at what's new / discounted and what I might like to buy

2. Play Dirt Rally

Anyway - something about Oxygen Not Included really got me interested so I bought it tonight and played for ages. In fact it's 1am, which is problematic. I'm torn between wanting to play it now, or waiting for the Alpha to pass, so I can play a more finished, polished game. It's really good fun right now though, but I worry that come launch I'll be fatigued with it. I really enjoy the learning process and lack of help though. 

It's stressful watching them walk around in goop and then kicking yourself because all you had to do was tell them to mop it up. Or feel like progress is going well because there's oxygen and food and then suddenly realising you've been focusing so much on that, you forgot to do something about how goddamn miserable and dirty they'd all become. All of these failures just make me want to start again, with a fresh strategy and the benefit of hindsight. 

It's rekindled that great feeling I had with the Settlers games, where you can just set things up, advise your minions on commands and then realise you've spent several minutes just watching them work. It's very similar in gameplay, despite very different actions, viewpoint and setting. I do like that the duplicants are a bit more precious than settlers though, and you have a bit more of an affinity for each one. 

Even if they did just smash up your human-hamster wheel out of diseased anger.

At least if I wait a bit for the alpha to pass it's not a bad thing - I have so many other things to get through, and I bought the alpha as a kind of early-bird discount, they did say the release would be more expensive after all.

• Upvote 3

*bows*

Do you think it's worth starting an ONI thread? I was reading on the forums about how some guy managed to achieve 100% sustainability, basically a self sufficient colony where the guys can live indefinitely, which I suppose is theoretically the goal at this point. But I think he did it basically by managing poo and wee and waste. Something about contaminated soil producing contaminated oxygen, being enough to just produce oxygen. The guys get sick, but then they heal and that's just a part of life.

I think he started his colony by digging troughs for all the wee to go, and destroying outhouses to leave behind waste, rather than cleaning them or something. I'm sure they'll fix this but I do love these kind of creative exploits of the game that people can find.

I think this is why this game is refreshing. While it's very similar in that kind of resource / expansion / consumption dependency management game as Settlers et al, the actual resources themselves are very different. Breathable gas and human waste are newer on me, stress and ways to alleviate it are new, so I'm having to think a bit more about how I might sort out the toxic gas problem. Last night everyone was just barfing everywhere and smashing equipment, and I realised I needed to think a lot more about space, and create work areas and living areas. But that wasn't obvious, and how I solve that isn't obvious either (since reousrces are in certain places). anyway. It's a fun learning curve. I've not waffled this much about a game in a while

• Upvote 2

I'm not a fan of early access stuff myself. I think I own 1 early access game (Slime Rancher) but I'll definitely make another exception for ONI once it's in beta or goes early access on Steam. It looks really good!

Stardew, Slime Rancher and ONI are like the holy trinity when it comes to farming/builder games. 

Early access is fine when a game is released in a fun playable state and it only seems to be EA because the developer has loads that they want to add to it. ONI is a great example of this. Kerbal, Prison Architect, Rust are other good examples.

Early access is terrible when a developer puts out a buggy mess of a game and tries to charge people to play it. RIP Day Z.

There are still some bugs of course. But the only one that's gotten me is keybindings. I wanted to change the middle mouse button and space bar to something. When clicking the middle mouse to set the keybinding, the keybinding box was then listening to all others. I ended up unbinding left mouse click. The bindings seem to be absolute, so that meant that I couldn't left click on anything, not to select, and so on. It actually made the game totally unplayable as I could't then click on keybindings to reset, because there was now no left click. I had to go and find the JSON file somewhere on my hard drive to edit them. 

Stuff like that. I'm not sure what's going to change int he gameplay, I imagine a large part of what's still to come will just be adding more gameplay things, maybe missions? I'm not a fan of early access either, as I've already said I don't want to feel like the 'new' game isn't worth playing because I reached boredom point, and thus miss out on a better, more balanced experience. but so far it does feel pretty polished. 

I'll probably give it another few sessions at the weekend and then try and shelve it until it's further along.

Finding myself in undiscovered waters with regards to this thread !

Long story short, bought a Laptop for gaming a couple of years ago, didn't use it as couldn't ever get used to using keyboard and mouse. Dusted it off a month ago as my New Years resolution was to get into PC Gaming. Loved Stardew Valley, now about to start playing Starbound and absolutely buzzing my tits off to play some gems I've missed out on.

also looking forward to reading through this thread and see what's on the horizon!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cowfields said:

Do you think it's worth starting an ONI thread?

I was reading on the forums about how some guy managed to achieve 100% sustainability, basically a self sufficient colony where the guys can live indefinitely, which I suppose is theoretically the goal at this point. But I think he did it basically by managing poo and wee and waste. Something about contaminated soil producing contaminated oxygen, being enough to just produce oxygen. The guys get sick, but then they heal and that's just a part of life.

Yes to the thread!  I've got stupid questions I need to ask, the official forum and wiki aren't much of a resource yet.

I read how wee and vomit are basically the way to generate the most water, so you go for the small bladder and "vomits when stressed" dupes and then make sure they make their deliveries in the right place.  Doesn't sound like somewhere I'd like to live...

I love the game, the style and animation is fabulous and it's very satisfying putting everything together.  I've not played it much yet, but I find myself panicking about running out of water or algae or whatever way before I need to.

I'm taking my PC offline for a while and I have been installing some games before doing so. I'm just working through loading them all to make sure the installation is complete and there's no online authentication which might trip me up later, but several of them are installing different versions of DirectX redistributables. Does anyone know if this is going to cause me problems? Or do the different versions they all install sit alongside one another without issue?

They *should* sit happily together. Worth tracking down the SteamCleaner app that clears all the leftovers from those installs. Can come to gigs worth. Can't remember the name and not at the computer.

1 hour ago, earlymodernsteve said:

They *should* sit happily together. Worth tracking down the SteamCleaner app that clears all the leftovers from those installs. Can come to gigs worth. Can't remember the name and not at the computer.

Thanks, I'll take a look. I suppose if I really wanted to be sure I could just unplug and launch each game in turn again, but I might just be too lazy for that!

14 minutes ago, alistarr said:

Thanks, I'll take a look. I suppose if I really wanted to be sure I could just unplug and launch each game in turn again, but I might just be too lazy for that!

You won't have a problem with those DX distributables. Only thing you really should do is go offline in Steam (iirc that's an option) and disconnect completely from the internet. Then try launching a game to make sure offline mode works.

Yup that's been on the wishlist ever since Etalyx streamed that! :lol:*

And now I find out that bloody Hollow Knight has been released?! There are too many games!

52cbb38e0ba55caeab2cfb4cb5192d5d_origina

85ee63e70b446baa907779f78f6690ce_origina

hollow-knight-gameplay.gif

d2d87a736b077ae2f53de7a6ad5b2a2f_origina

I just want to stay at home and play games for the next few months. 

*I laugh but I weep on the inside. No time. No money.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, VN1X said:

I just want to stay at home and play games for the next few months. 

I've just taken a week off and people ask me "oh, going anywhere nice?", I don't have the heart to tell them. :(

• Upvote 5

7 hours ago, El Spatula said:

Hmm. Hollow Knight looks awesome but no reviews at all... Do I jump in. Or do I continue playing Xanadu Next...

It's your favourite new Metroidvania. Of course you jump in!

Shovel Who? (yes I went there)

• Upvote 3

I've played about 6 hours so far and I'm really enjoying it. A couple of minor quibbles but overall it's a really solid fun game.

• Upvote 1

Look just shut up, ok?  I don't need yet another metroidvania.  I mean obviously I do and must have it and I've just bought it but just shut up

• Upvote 6

54 minutes ago, clippa said:

If it makes you feel any better, I played it for an hour or so last night. Wasn't really feeling it to be honest. It looks nice but it feels very hollow.

Hollow eh? <_<

Edited by VN1X
  • Upvote 1