rllmuk
choddo

Steam - UI Overhaul Out Now

Would Futureshock *checks rep* NEG and Mentzam give the slightest flying fuck about this game if it didn't have an off proportion "female" main character? Of course not.

They'd have the exact same reaction Mike S and anyone sane did.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 26/09/2016 at 18:46, Clipper said:

I will keep an eye on dirt rally for sales tho.

Looks like you didn't have to wait long, £19.99 this weekend.

The Steam controller is great... for certain types of game. For games which play well with your 360 controller - e.g. third person action games - I'd never advocate switching to the Steam controller. But if you're ever wanting to play strategy games, traditional RPGs, point and click adventures etc. then it's ideal - albeit unnecessary if you have easy mouse and keyboard access.

I use mine constantly as I like those genres and play on the couch, but it's entirely dependent on your situation whether it'll be any use to you or not.

My Steam controller doesn't get masses of use, but there are occasions when it's proved useful. It's a little fiddly in comparison to a standard controller, but better than mouse and keyboard, for sofa based play. The Steam link, on the other hand, is awesome, but I'll use my PS4 pad wherever it's practical.

If you want a new controller that does the exact same thing as your Xbox 360 controller but far better in every way, you should consider either a PS4 or XB1 controller. Of those two I would personally recommend the Xb1 controller over the PS4 one, simply because it straight up just works with everything that is already 360 controller compatible. Avoid the Day One XB1 controller like the plague though, get the either the 2015 revision or white S version for excellent bumper action and (slightly, but noticeable) better sticks, triggers and d-pad than the PS4 controller. The superior d-pads also make the PS4 and XB1 controllers a far better choice for 2D retro (emulator) action compared to the shitty lump of plastic that is supposed to pass for a d-pad on the 360 controller. You'll never want to go back*

The Steam controller seems to have its uses, but as Wiper says those uses are rather specific. A good choice for a secondary controller, but not as your main.

*unless you're playing Firewatch

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Wiper said:

The Steam controller is great... for certain types of game. For games which play well with your 360 controller - e.g. third person action games - I'd never advocate switching to the Steam controller. But if you're ever wanting to play strategy games, traditional RPGs, point and click adventures etc. then it's ideal - albeit unnecessary if you have easy mouse and keyboard access.

I use mine constantly as I like those genres and play on the couch, but it's entirely dependent on your situation whether it'll be any use to you or not.

It's certainly tempting for that price, even though current circumstances dictate that I do most of my gaming on a laptop. Perhaps it'll help fund Half Life 3's development if I order one.

• Upvote 1

On 6 August 2016 at 22:15, BruceBruce said:

Wow that TIS-100 game seems really interesting.  Wishlisted.

Zachtronics' latest looks interesting. They've taken the TIS-100 idea of assembly language programming and added on the complexity of building the machines to run the code on:

http://www.zachtronics.com/shenzhen-io/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/504210/

Will probably get very difficult, very quickly.

• Upvote 2

As I'm sure most of you know Black Ops 3 is free this weekend. Come hang out

You can be like me and be on a sick fucking killstreak and have your connection crap out on you. :)

Spoiler

E3r721a.jpg

Sorry my life is empty and shallow, scoreboasting is all I've got. 

Got Runestone Keeper in a recent bundle but can't get seem to get part the tutorial. Says I need to get a key from a monster to open the door, but i clear all the tiles and no key. Any ideas anyone?

On 9/30/2016 at 14:37, Qazimod said:

Ever wished your visual novels had more fighting game in them? No?

It's probably better than Street Fighter V: A Shadow Falls

I've spent the past 3 hours and a bit playing this. It's... decent. Not really a visual novel, exactly, it's a life simulator (think Princess Maker or Long Live the Queen); i.e. it has story elements throughout, but the main gameplay is simply choosing what you do with your day; largely choices between attending class, training (and if so, where) and mooching around. Oh, and resting, as all the above activities tire you out.

As a life sim I've enjoyed it, though the RNG involved in setting up minor events can be frustrating - having to reload because you've gone out, had your outfit stolen (meaning you can't train), hunting down the thieves, then getting it stolen again is a bit irritating, for example. Otherwise, it pushes the same buttons as other life sims - the satisfaction is in spinning all your plates successfully - balancing school life and training so that your character is able to get the grades they need while also remaining competitive in the ring. Anyone who's played the core Persona games will have an idea of how enjoyable that sort of thing can be.

However, the actual fighting... is a bit lame. There's not actually all that much of it, as it happens, which is for the good, but it's very basic and the controls aren't great. It works, but that's about all I can say for it. In fact, the occasional street brawl against multiple opponents that the game throws at you (so far entirely by RNG, and generally avoidable) are genuinely poor - by far the worst part of the game, as the controls and AI just can't cope with them at all.

So, yeah, definitely don't go in for the fighting game. It's the part which most shows up that this is a game made by one person who set themselves perhaps a bit too high of a bar. Honestly, I think this would be a better game if the battles were just little automatic cut-scenes based on whether you'd levelled yourself appropriately.

Still, it's kept me entertained these past few hours, and for the princely sum of zero pounds it's definitely worth a look!

• Upvote 2

I have the following keys to give away, any takers?:

• RollerCoaster Tycoon 2: Triple Thrill Pack [JPR]
  • Stronghold Crusader 2 [Lorfarius]
  • Prison Architect [Simmy]
  • Upvote 5

It's been out for a little while now on PC, but think it's now available on some of the consoles. However, whilst I've had it for a while I hadn't spent much time on it...

Jotun is absolutely incredible, and well worth the purchase. It's astonishingly pretty, but also has a quite fantastic soundtrack too. Oh, it plays really nicely as well.

Cannot recommend it highly enough :)

• Upvote 3

I used it on Guild Wars 2 and that's not a Steam game. In fact that's the only game I've tried it on where I've enjoyed using it. I may have had to add it to Steam though. I can't think of any other reason why it'd be in my steam library. 

1 hour ago, Scribblor said:

The controller, I definitely have a use for. Can you use it outside of steam? For non-steam games? 

You can stream anything you do on your PC with the Steam Link if you exit Big Picture Mode.

12 hours ago, VN1X said:

I have the following keys to give away, any takers?:

• RollerCoaster Tycoon 2: Triple Thrill Pack [JPR]
  • Stronghold Crusader 2
  • Prison Architect [Simmy]

Is Stronghold Crusader 2 still going spare? :D