Steam - UI Overhaul Out Now

Might sound cheapish but I save my spare humble keys for the Rllmuk Secret Santa.

This year's already had most of my keys though(always remember to thoughtfully check their library!), maybe not worth keeping hold of them for a whole 'nother year in the hopes of making someone happy. So I think I'll go gather what's available and ask for PM's too.

Yeah I tried it recently and was getting the same thing, I used to deactivate Hola after opening the paypal page in a new window but it doesn't like it now. From what I've heard it doesn't like Hola though so might be worth trying another VPN.

Are there other free VPNs (that work as easily as hola)?

Unrelated, but has anybody tried buying from nuuvem lately? Using hola it used to be a case of just changing back to the UK when you got to the Paypal completion stage, but that doesn't seem to work now. Is it just me?

Nuuvem now checks whether your registered Paypal address is in Brazil for a lot of titles, with no easy workaround.

Are there other free VPNs (that work as easily as hola)?

I've started using VyprVPN, who have a free account that gives you 500mb/mo of free data, which is more than enough if you're only using it to purchase a few games.

Might sound cheapish but I save my spare humble keys for the Rllmuk Secret Santa.

This year's already had most of my keys though(always remember to thoughtfully check their library!), maybe not worth keeping hold of them for a whole 'nother year in the hopes of making someone happy. So I think I'll go gather what's available and ask for PM's too.

If you were only giving spare keys as a Secret Santa gift then I'd say that's pretty poor form, regardless of how many, but I'm guessing you just supplemented your purchase with some keys which, going by what people got, a fair few did.

Nuuvem now checks whether your registered Paypal address is in Brazil for a lot of titles, with no easy workaround.

I've started using VyprVPN, who have a free account that gives you 500mb/mo of free data, which is more than enough if you're only using it to purchase a few games.

Excellent, thanks, I'll give that a look.

Edit: Actually, I presume this is only any use if paying via a method other than Paypal. Does it do the same checks for a credit card purchase?

Edit 2: Ah, there is no credit card option. Guess no more nuuvem, then.

Most certainly in addition to whatevers on their wishlist and personal fav picks from myself too, yes.

spent £35 on Santa this...er, last year, excluding keys.

Keys are like a extra pair of socks, not the first thing on your mind to gift but always appeciated, might even come in handy.

• Upvote 2

Edit 2: Ah, there is no credit card option. Guess no more nuuvem, then.

Pretty much. People have come up with an elaborate work-around involving buying a Brazilian pre-paid card to verify a Brazilian Paypal account but that's too much hassle even for me, a relatively dedicated bargain hunter.

If you were only giving spare keys as a Secret Santa gift then I'd say that's pretty poor form, regardless of how many, but I'm guessing you just supplemented your purchase with some keys which, going by what people got, a fair few did.

I tried to do that, but actually had nothing that I felt worthwhile giving... I felt bad that I didn't get my Secret Santa more actually, but they only had a small wishlist to begin with.

Pretty much. People have come up with an elaborate work-around involving buying a Brazilian pre-paid card to verify a Brazilian Paypal account but that's too much hassle even for me, a relatively dedicated bargain hunter.

Ah well, it was good while it lasted (although I only ever bought 4 games from there so it won't be too big a hole in my game-buying life). Shame, because they have Sword Coast Legends for £7 which, given that it seems to be a bit pants, is about all I'd be prepared to pay.

Most certainly in addition to whatevers on their wishlist and personal fav picks from myself too, yes.

spent £35 on Santa this...er, last year, excluding keys.

Keys are like a extra pair of socks, not the first thing on your mind to gift but always appeciated, might even come in handy.

It's not necessarily about how much you spend* but I do think it's important you actually do buy something with your own money. If that can be supplemented with some spare keys that are relevant (by which I mean either on their wishlist or are a genre they have - and have played - in their library) then great! But dumping a load of keys just because you have a load of keys, I don't know, seems a bit off to me.

*This year's gift reveals stirred something up in me so I apologise for the bluntness of what I'm about to say, but we all read the thread and it's there to see that some people did very well with their gifts but some *I personally feel* drew a much shorter straw in what they received. Just throwing it out there, but I wonder if a minimum spend/number of games should possibly be introduced so that people get at least a couple of things to play.

I think secret Santa has escalated a bit to be honest and this year I felt the average spend was probably higher than ever. I think we should implement a spending range for next year. I probably spent about 4 times as much on my victim this year than in previous years but I was happy to do that as I think they add a lot to the forum.

On the plus side, my secret Santa gift as a package was probably one of my top gifts this year as my family normally stay away from buying me games. Secret Santa works well on here becuase we have a good group of knowledgeable people who also know how to access the information about what games we don't have, that we might like.

Therefore I am happy to put a relatively large amount of money in. I can't say I wouldn't have been pissed off if I had received rubbish though.

Arma 2

Take On Helicopters Bundle

UFO: Afterlight

Alpha Prime

Arma: Gold Edition

Fish Fillets 2

Arma Tactics

Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead

Arma 2: British Armed Forces

Arma 2: Private Military Company

Original War

Arma 2: Army of the Czech Republic

PM me for the key

• Upvote 7

Secret Santa can be a tricky one, I was honestly shocked at some of the gifts bought this year. So on the one hand if I was shocked to get them imagine how great it must be for the person to receive them which I love, on the other I do worry about those that might not get something so generous and what if they've been very generous themselves, does that turn the event into a bit of a downer for them on Christmas day.

Though I do have the benefit of the gift history, so maybe I think that could be the short straw, but hey the last few years have been great for them and that's the nature of this.

I am pretty sure everyone got something off their wishlist at least and I'd say the quality of games was really high this year, maybe the odd stocking filler but alongside something they wanted, not a single copy of Bad Rats or its ilk. Certainly more games than previous years, no idea how the spend compares, should do a wrap up post soon really.

I think a minimum spend could be worth looking at, not sure how much, £10 maybe, but I don't want to start messing around and setting down rules too much. I also don't want people to feel if they can only spend the minimum then is it worth taking part. Maybe the key is to emphasis how thoughtful those that buy gifts usually are, so make sure that's the spirit you have when taking part, look at their wishlist, plus have one with more than a handful of games on.

In the end I just want it to be about people being happy with the surprise gifts they get and enjoying the reaction to the gifts they bought.

• Upvote 7

Secret Santa can be a tricky one, I was honestly shocked at some of the gifts bought this year. So on the one hand if I was shocked to get them imagine how great it must be for the person to receive them which I love, on the other I do worry about those that might not get something so generous and what if they've been very generous themselves, does that turn the event into a bit of a downer for them on Christmas day.

This was what got me thinking about it this year and I'm not suggesting that anybody was trying to game the system, but there were surprises at both ends of the spectrum that stood out. Now I fully admit that this was a focus for me because my Steam Secret Santa gifts were the only presents I got this year (from anywhere), so the whole thing meant a lot more to me than perhaps it might if my 'real life' was going a bit better - so I apologise if people feel I'm putting words into their mouths but I just thought about how I would have felt had I received what some others did.

I think a minimum spend could be worth looking at, not sure how much, £10 maybe, but I don't want to start messing around and setting down rules too much. I also don't want people to feel if they can only spend the minimum then is it worth taking part. Maybe the key is to emphasis how thoughtful those that buy gifts usually are, so make sure that's the spirit you have when taking part, look at their wishlist, plus have one with more than a handful of games on.

Well like I say, perhaps a minimum game limit might work better so everybody has a little bit of variety to look forward to on Christmas day.

That said, I don't think a £x minimum would be unreasonable either - I know it can be distasteful to talk about monetary value and presents but, to be honest, I'd love for everyone who participates to have a certain level of expectation about what they'll get. After all, if it's about the giving then surely you want to see your victim expressing real pleasure at what they've got? I loved reading what my victim said, it really made me happy - and by the same token, when my gifts came through I was relieved that I got more than 1 game (and stuff I wanted). I don't think that makes me a complete <insert insult of choice here>, does it?

I'll shut-up about it now though. Maybe the solution is to not let me be in it this year? :P

Though I do have the benefit of the gift history, so maybe I think that could be the short straw, but hey the last few years have been great for them and that's the nature of this.

I am pretty sure everyone got something off their wishlist at least and I'd say the quality of games was really high this year, maybe the odd stocking filler but alongside something they wanted, not a single copy of Bad Rats or its ilk. Certainly more games than previous years, no idea how the spend compares, should do a wrap up post soon really.

In the end I just want it to be about people being happy with the surprise gifts they get and enjoying the reaction to the gifts they bought.

I would honestly like to think that the reason most people participate is because they want to and enjoy getting gifts for other people rather than for the receiving part. I don't consider getting say one game if you've gifted two or three to be really bad or unfair and you don't know a persons budget either. I don't really like the thought of putting limits or other things on Secret Santa as it may put people off who have things maybe a bit tighter at xmas time but still want to participate. The Steam thread in general is pretty positive with folks giving games away during the year etc anyway. The only thing I'd consider really not in the spirit is say just buying someone one game and having that be Bad Rats or something else really shite. Having a joke present amongst a few others is cool (and even funny)

That said, I don't think a £x minimum would be unreasonable either - I know it can be distasteful to talk about monetary value and presents but, to be honest, I'd love for everyone who participates to have a certain level of expectation about what they'll get. After all, if it's about the giving then surely you want to see your victim expressing real pleasure at what they've got? I loved reading what my victim said, it really made me happy - and by the same token, when my gifts came through I was relieved that I got more than 1 game (and stuff I wanted). I don't think that makes me a complete <insert insult of choice here>, does it?

The secret santa should be about the giving and not about what you get on christmas day. I don't think that it'd be fair to exclude people or make people feel left out if they didn't feel that they were financially able to take part. The whole point is that you enjoy spending whatever you feel you can afford to spend on your giftee.

I really really fucked up Secret Santa the first year I did it (and I still owe that person) not knowing how generous the whole thing can be so I do feel there should be rules. Maybe 3-4 games minimum. Maybe 1 gauranteed to be from that persons wishlist.

It's not necessarily about how much you spend* but I do think it's important you actually do buy something with your own money. If that can be supplemented with some spare keys that are relevant (by which I mean either on their wishlist or are a genre they have - and have played - in their library) then great! But dumping a load of keys just because you have a load of keys, I don't know, seems a bit off to me.

*This year's gift reveals stirred something up in me so I apologise for the bluntness of what I'm about to say, but we all read the thread and it's there to see that some people did very well with their gifts but some *I personally feel* drew a much shorter straw in what they received. Just throwing it out there, but I wonder if a minimum spend/number of games should possibly be introduced so that people get at least a couple of things to play.

I realize not everyone is like me, but the thing with 'random keys' (assuming you check if the person owns it first, I wouldn't give them a double) is that sometimes, much like any of the non-wishlist picks for that person, if they actually give that game a go it could be unexpectedly amazing, that's the kind of surprise I want sometimes. Something I didn't know I even wanted in my life! But not everyone is the same, I know.

Edit: And that's not to say I still wouldn't be put off say...the horror or shooter genres for example. But 'you never know' is pretty much in my philosophy. I love Resident Evil, maybe I'll appreciate something else horror someday. As unlikely as I may personally feel that may be.

I think it's also a case of people have different feelings. I will add everything to my account even if I'm fairly sure I'll probably not get around to it. It was gifted to me, the least I can do is keep it.

I noticed one of my personal picks of last year being thrown to another person this year. It's an obscure enough game that wouldn't get picked alone often on this forum so my hunch is it was that very same gift. So not only did it not even get tried/added to the persons account for a year it ended up elsewhere.

That's okay, maybe that other person will get to try and enjoy it now. But it's not how I look at gifts picked out for me personally. I figure the person wanted me to try that game. I also remember gift trading in general sometimes. Not a bad thing, but again I'd personally feel bad about it.

my Steam Secret Santa gifts were the only presents I got this year (from anywhere)

Same here. Thank ye, JPR.

I would honestly like to think that the reason most people participate is because they want to and enjoy getting gifts for other people rather than for the receiving part. I don't consider getting say one game if you've gifted two or three to be really bad or unfair and you don't know a persons budget either. I don't really like the thought of putting limits or other things on Secret Santa as it may put people off who have things maybe a bit tighter at xmas time but still want to participate. The Steam thread in general is pretty positive with folks giving games away during the year etc anyway. The only thing I'd consider really not in the spirit is say just buying someone one game and having that be Bad Rats or something else really shite. Having a joke present amongst a few others is cool (and even funny)

I've just been looking through the previous Secret Santas because I think this year has been over and above previous years so I was curious to see if that's true or if my memory is playing tricks on me, and I happened to see this post from you in 2013: http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/275649-steam-secret-santa-2013/?p=9648627 :P

The secret santa should be about the giving and not about what you get on christmas day. I don't think that it'd be fair to exclude people or make people feel left out if they didn't feel that they were financially able to take part. The whole point is that you enjoy spending whatever you feel you can afford to spend on your giftee.

I love the Steam Secret Santa, I think it's a wonderful idea and it's great to see such a happy thread and goodwill in the run-up to Christmas. And I've enjoyed seeing the response I get to the gifts I've given in both years I've taken part. But there's absolutely nothing wrong in looking forward to what you get too, they aren't mutually exclusive.

As I say, this is entirely my issue because of stuff going on with me right now so it's probably best I shut-up. I do think it's an interesting point of discussion though.

I've just been looking through the previous Secret Santas because I think this year has been over and above previous years so I was curious to see if that's true or if my memory is playing tricks on me, and I happened to see this post from you in 2013: http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/275649-steam-secret-santa-2013/?p=9648627 :P

To be honest I was really fucking skint that year for a variety of reasons and I'd rather not take part in Secret Santa than give someone something really shitty or just one game that's cheap. That's more me than for anyone receiving btw who may be happy with just the one game, I just like to be generous and if I can't do that I'd rather not take part. Just the way I am personally :P But not what I feel should be the 'ethos' of Secret Santa if that makes sense.

To be honest I was really fucking skint that year for a variety of reasons and I'd rather not take part in Secret Santa than give someone something really shitty or just one game that's cheap. That's more me than for anyone receiving btw who may be happy with just the one game, I just like to be generous and if I can't do that I'd rather not take part. Just the way I am personally :P But not what I feel should be the 'ethos' of Secret Santa if that makes sense.

I think we have a similar view, in a roundabout way. From my perspective, if I could only afford £5, but then got £15/20/30+ as my gift, I'd feel a bit uncomfortable about that, even if the gift I got somebody was really well received. I totally accept not everybody is like that though and it shouldn't be an issue.

For me, someone reminding me about Supreme Commander by actually buying me the game is probably worth as much to me as the money I forked out on my person. That's not even counting all the other stuff from my wishlist.

On the Steam subject I just picked up both Arkham Asylum and City for a fiver. These Batman games are quite good for AAA! It's like Resident Evil 4 but Batman instead. Asylum is running at 1080/60 on max settings with no slowdown on my five year-old laptop. It looks absolutely stunning and more next-gen than say Bloodborne.

I agree that Steam Santa can be tricky, I personally don't have any issues with what I have received the last couple of years and I've done very well. I sent a number of games this year and I got 1 in return. But that 1 game had practically the same monetary value as the ones I bought. And it was the best game on my list. I am truly delighted that I got it, if there was a minimum number of games then I wouldn't have gotten it. Or if I did, then pressure would have been on my santa to buy me another game to go with it. :)

Perhaps the only "fair" way to do it would be giving JPR extra work. Maybe in the initial PMs that we send to him, we state what our planned budget is, and then on his spreadsheet he pools the people with the same budget ranges together so people with the same budgets are matched together? I dunno, it doesn't feel like the spirit of the thread to me, but on the other hand it might entice more people to participate if they could join in on a lower budget scale and not feel as though they can't join in because they only have a spare fiver or whatever.

As an aside, I have giftable copies of Mushroom 11 and Fistful of Gun going from the monthly bundle. Spelunky has already found a home :wub: Post / PM if you want the link!

• Upvote 3

I've made a point of installing and playing all secret Santa gifts over the same Xmas period I get them now. Already sunk 10 hours into grim dawn and shelved it for full release in February. Steam secret Santa is by far the best gift I get each year, something I actually want. I wouldn't want to see a minimum placed, but would follow along to whatever is agreed.

• Upvote 1

I agree that Steam Santa can be tricky, I personally don't have any issues with what I have received the last couple of years and I've done very well. I sent a number of games this year and I got 1 in return. But that 1 game had practically the same monetary value as the ones I bought. And it was the best game on my list. I am truly delighted that I got it, if there was a minimum number of games then I wouldn't have gotten it. Or if I did, then pressure would have been on my santa to buy me another game to go with it. :)

Perhaps the only "fair" way to do it would be giving JPR extra work. Maybe in the initial PMs that we send to him, we state what our planned budget is, and then on his spreadsheet he pools the people with the same budget ranges together so people with the same budgets are matched together? I dunno, it doesn't feel like the spirit of the thread to me, but on the other hand it might entice more people to participate if they could join in on a lower budget scale and not feel as though they can't join in because they only have a spare fiver or whatever.

As an aside, I have giftable copies of Mushroom 11 and Fistful of Gun going from the monthly bundle. Spelunky has already found a home :wub: Post / PM if you want the link!

I like the idea of stating your rough spend intention and matching people roughly. There are downsides but there always are.