Steam - UI Overhaul Out Now

I haven't (knowingly) bought an Ubi game since buying a "special" edition of AC2 and still not getting the full game, and I never will. I wish Steam gave you a way of filtering out store content by publisher -- there's absolutely no point even showing me their stuff and that's space that could be used to make me aware of other content that I am certainly more likely to buy.

On a lighter note I picked up Shadows Of Mordor at le sale price... it'll only take two days to download via my excellent Sky broadband connection. Two days! In a weird sort of way it kinda pumps up the anticipation even more :D

I think the originals are probably a step too far into nostalgia these days, despite considering It Came From the Desert one of my all-time favourites. Cinemaware recently remade Wings though, so hopefully more of that kind of thing is in the offing.

Speaking of bleak Eastern European games, This War of Mine is really depressing. It's a survival strategy game, kind of like the Zafehouse games in concept I suppose, but in many ways it plays like a very streamlined and crushingly melanchonlic take on the Sims. You manage a small group of civilians trying to survive while a terrible civil war rages. Resting, healing or building furniture and tools during the day, scavenging the city for supplies at night. When scavenging you can choose from various locations, each with different kinds of supplies. You might decided to pick through an abandoned house because you need lots of wood for upgrades to your workbench, or perhaps a bombed-out school, or you can take a risk and try populated locations with crucial and rare supplies such as food and bandages, where you will have to use the game's simple stealth system. What I love about this is that it (very quickly) forces you to make some hard decisions out of desperation, and gives a sense of what it must be like to live in such a situation. At my first attempt I have already had a member killed after just 8 days. We were absolutely desperate for food. So I broke into a ruined house and was forced to kill one of the people there in an attempt to get food. Another person caught me and stabbed me.

So yeah, cheery Saturday night stuff! It's not the most complex or varied game in the world, and its extremely slow pace will put people off, but it achieves its goal of making you feel horrible.

That was kind of my thinking, too - that the originals might be a bit too dated now, but that there is hope that we could see remakes similar to Wings! (if that is doing good enough business.)

I think they are remaking rocket ranger now. Just double checked and they have a kickstarter for this. Have you played the wings remake?

I purchased defender of the crown on iPad and it was just the Amiga game emulated and no changes so personally I would imagine the Amiga games in this pack will be the same. At least on pc you have a mouse (on ipad was painful) but I had the impression it was shovelware due to the contol problems I had. Also at least some of these games were free to download from cinemaware in the past.

Are any of the pc versions better than the Amiga versions so they'd be worth checking out?

I remember the games being famous for their graphics as opposed to gameplay so I would imagine they haven't aged well and it's a pity the 3 stooges and the kristal are missing from the anthology though in the case of the 3 stooges I can imagine why.

I think they are remaking rocket ranger now. Just double checked and they have a kickstarter for this. Have you played the wings remake?

I remember the games being famous for their graphics as opposed to gameplay so I would imagine they haven't aged well and it's a pity the 3 stooges and the kristal are missing from the anthology though in the case of the 3 stooges I can imagine why.

I haven't played the Wings! remake, no. Whilst I loved it on the Amiga, I'm happy to have experienced it just the once. I never completed Rocket Ranger back in the day though, so I'd probably go for that, as well as ICFTD.

I think you're doing them a disservice to say it was mainly about the graphics, though. Sure, the presentation aspect was important (I'll always remember the awe I had from a cover of The One which had a screenshot from TV Sports Football on it), but a fair few of them were well-received on the basis of the gameplay.

Looking at the rather ambitious stretch goals for this, they want $500,000 to start pre-production on ICFTD which, given that Wings! only just hit its funding target, is probably unlikely. Hopefully it won't stop them, though (the blurb suggests they intend to release others anyway.)

Speaking of bleak Eastern European games, This War of Mine is really depressing. It's a survival strategy game, kind of like the Zafehouse games in concept I suppose, but in many ways it plays like a very streamlined and crushingly melanchonlic take on the Sims. You manage a small group of civilians trying to survive while a terrible civil war rages. Resting, healing or building furniture and tools during the day, scavenging the city for supplies at night. When scavenging you can choose from various locations, each with different kinds of supplies. You might decided to pick through an abandoned house because you need lots of wood for upgrades to your workbench, or perhaps a bombed-out school, or you can take a risk and try populated locations with crucial and rare supplies such as food and bandages, where you will have to use the game's simple stealth system. What I love about this is that it (very quickly) forces you to make some hard decisions out of desperation, and gives a sense of what it must be like to live in such a situation. At my first attempt I have already had a member killed after just 8 days. We were absolutely desperate for food. So I broke into a ruined house and was forced to kill one of the people there in an attempt to get food. Another person caught me and stabbed me.

So yeah, cheery Saturday night stuff! It's not the most complex or varied game in the world, and its extremely slow pace will put people off, but it achieves its goal of making you feel horrible.

It's really bleak and also really difficult.

Rise of Nations is a classic if anyone has never played it. Like Civilisation as an RTS, but still somehow better than the sum of its parts in many ways. It;s an old game but that version is the modernised rerelease that was released just a few months ago.

Rise of Nations is a classic if anyone has never played it. Like Civilisation as an RTS, but still somehow better than the sum of its parts in many ways. It;s an old game but that version is the modernised rerelease that was released just a few months ago.

RON took me by complete surprise back in the day. Grabbed it then because I l was a big fan of RTSes('s) and bought most of them regardless, but never expected to love it as much as I did. I haven't played it in years, but have just bagged it in the sale to have another crack. IIRC, the only thing I felt it lacked back then was some form of permanence - just a leaderboard for best campaign scores or something, maybe.

It will be interesting to see how well I think it holds up. I haven't played an RTS in years, but I think it's because the genre went bad, rather than because I stopped liking them.

So whilst I'd love to be able to say "EVERYBODY GO AND BUY NEVER ALONE!" I can't just yet as I'm only 30-ish minutes into it, but it IS absolutely wonderful looking with a fantastic setting, beautiful music and endearing characters. Gameplay wise it's reminding me a lot of Brothers (albeit without controlling both of the characters at the same time, thankfully) and a little bit of Limbo, but it plays a lot better than that did.

If the fox dies I'm going to cry. :(

Rise of Nations won't work for me. I hangs on the screen saying "validating steam workshop files...". I have googled for a solution but there doesn't seem to have been one identified. Anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: Reinstalling directx and then restarting steam seems to have worked.